Author Topic: Finally a U2 RockBand?  (Read 13966 times)

Offline rattleandhum24

• Up With the Sun
  • All messed up, with opera in my head.
Re: Finally a U2 RockBand?
« Reply #75 on: October 24, 2009, 04:31:36 PM »
Song Selection ... WAY more than 50 ... but things I think would be great to play, especially as Edge!
Boy: I Will Follow, Out of Control, A Day Without Me, Electric Co.
October: Gloria, I Threw A Brick Through A Window, Rejoice, October, Stranger in a Strange Land
War: Sunday Bloody Sunday, New Year's Day, Two Hearts Beat As One, 40
The Unforgettable Fire: A Sort of Homecoming, Pride, The Unforgettable Fire, Bad
The Joshua Tree: Streets, ISHFWILF, With or Without You, Bullet the Blue Sky, In God's Country
Rattle and Hum: Desire, Angel of Harlem, All I Want Is You
Achtung Baby: EBTTRT, One, The Fly, Until the End of the World, WGRYWH, Mysterious Ways, Ultraviolet
Zooropa: Lemon, Stay, The First Time
Pop: Discothéque, Do You Feel Loved, Mofo, IGWSHA, Staring at the Sun, Gone, Please
ATYCLB: Beautiful Day, SIAMYCGOO, Elevation, In A Little While
HTDAAB: Vertigo, Miracle Drug, Love and Peace Or Else, City of Blinding Lights, All Because of You
NLOTH: NLOTH, Magnificent, Unknown Caller, IGCIIDGCT, Get On Your Boots, Stand Up Comedy, Breathe

Again, I'm thinking about this from Edge's perspective because I'm always on guitar when my friends and I play Rock Band.  So there are definitely some Bono heavy songs that I missed and even some of Adam's finer moments.  And being Larry would just be awesome.  If they come out with this though, they have to have the Explorer as the controller.  No exceptions on that one.

Offline MuchToDo

• Babyface
« Reply #76 on: October 27, 2009, 11:24:51 AM »
Is this true?! The Beatles rockband is awesome. Love to see a U2 Rockband!

Offline macphisto96

• Stateless
« Reply #77 on: October 27, 2009, 12:20:07 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
From a musical perspective, this is the most degrading thing you could do with your music. "Rockband", and "Guitar Hero" are actively decreasing the youth's susceptibility to picking up an instrument; "strumming" a piece of plastic which automatically praises the "player", despite minimal effort, is a horrible mentality to have once actually practicing an instrument; instant gratification is not the key; I played until my fingers bled.

Nice Summer of 69 reference at the end.

I'm no fan of either product, but I think more people have become interested in playing guitar, drums, etc due to these games, not less.  They realize they can't really make the music by strumming and pressing buttons.  A local business that is a place where kids go to play games has added music lessons to their services because of RockBand and Guitar Hero.  They would never have done so.  And a music instrument shop has opened up next door because of this - the two work together.  And it is because those games have spawned greater interest in playing real instruments.

It's not for me, but it is for a lot of other people.  It gets people actively involved in the music, even if it is just playing around. 

And for U2 it would introduce a lot of people to their music, at least their earlier stuff.  Imagine a 16 year old hearing New Year's Day for the first time while playing RockBand and loving it.

Just because you don't like it doesn't mean it doesn't work for others.  I don't care for it myself because I would rather play guitar for real.  But I've talked to others who started with those games and now don't care as much for them because they've learned an instrument BECAUSE of the game.

I've already chatted with several who weren't familiar with many Beatles songs that have become big fans because of the Beatles Rock Band. 

You want to find a new generation of listeners then you need to reach out to them in a way they understand and appreciate.   

Offline B-Wood

• Headache in a Suitcase
  • AchtungCloud on old forum
« Reply #78 on: October 27, 2009, 12:31:06 PM »
Obviously, playing Rock Band isn't equatable to actually playing guitar.  But if you have no real interest in being a musician and/or don't want to spend the time and money on real instruments then Rock Band/Guitar Hero is a great way to be able to somewhat fulfill the experience of playing those songs.  To have a game like that made for my all-time favorite band that I have listened to music by every single day for years would be fantastic.

hurricane hugo

« Reply #79 on: October 30, 2009, 12:34:36 AM »
Is this true?! The Beatles rockband is awesome. Love to see a U2 Rockband!

I think it fell through.

#@!

Offline EdgeFest [Zenmaster360]

• Airborne Ranger
  • My blog: mrstheedge.com
« Reply #80 on: January 27, 2010, 11:42:17 AM »
Bumping this thread up again.

Per Paul McGuinness
U2 on Rock Band/Guitar Hero: "We haven't decided what will it be like, but we really wanna do it. And soon. Really soon."

WHAT A GLORIOUS DAY, I am stoked!!!!!!!  However, I am totally going to monopolize the guitar on this, heh heh heh - my friends will never touch it.

Thank goodness the Mr. is up to fill the big shoes of Bono.  Will we ever leave the house again?  Who knows!  I am going to ask my boss if I can work from home so I can play it on my coffee breaks (LOL, I wish!)

Offline Joe G (Love You Like Mad Magazine)

• Precious Stone
  • 2 souls 2 cool 2 B in the realm of certainty
« Reply #81 on: January 27, 2010, 11:43:31 AM »
EF, can we hope and pray for the Edge wardrobe as an accessory?

Offline rattleandhum24

• Up With the Sun
« Reply #82 on: January 27, 2010, 11:46:40 AM »
Uhhh ... I may have to start saving for a gaming system.  I don't have one, and if this comes out, I'm totally going to crack.  I won't be able to resist this.  Must. Be. Edge.

I think once this comes out we'll have another costume contest, with your instruments in hand.

Offline birdlover

• Child of Grace
  • It's not how weak but what will make you strong
« Reply #83 on: January 27, 2010, 12:42:32 PM »
ACK! As much as I dislike the whole concept of RockBand, I don't think I'll be able to resist.

HELP! My only hope is that I'll be too broke to buy it.

I'm really torn...

• Precious Stone
« Reply #84 on: January 27, 2010, 12:45:20 PM »
Does anyone think that U2 might be thinking of creating a Rockband-style game separate from a gaming system? Does anyone think this is even possible?

Offline rattleandhum24

• Up With the Sun
« Reply #85 on: January 27, 2010, 12:51:55 PM »
Does anyone think that U2 might be thinking of creating a Rockband-style game separate from a gaming system? Does anyone think this is even possible?

Edge is in the lab ... working on it right now.

• Precious Stone
« Reply #86 on: January 27, 2010, 12:55:34 PM »

Edge is in the lab ... working on it right now.

:D :D :D :D :D :D

I think the obvious drawback is limited availability, of course, but it could then become a more intimate experience for the hardcore fan....and maybe even make the whole catalog available? (drool)  I would rather pay 200 bucks for a U2 game that stood alone from any console rather than 300 for a console and 100 for the game.

Offline birdlover

• Child of Grace
  • It's not how weak but what will make you strong
« Reply #87 on: January 27, 2010, 03:14:38 PM »
:D :D :D :D :D :D

I think the obvious drawback is limited availability, of course, but it could then become a more intimate experience for the hardcore fan....and maybe even make the whole catalog available? (drool)  I would rather pay 200 bucks for a U2 game that stood alone from any console rather than 300 for a console and 100 for the game.

So would I! Not to mention, they would then have control over how their images are used in it. From what I've read, several artists are furious at how the current games use them.

Offline The Wanderer

• Party Girl/Boy
  • U2360 Stage for Babies
« Reply #88 on: January 27, 2010, 03:25:07 PM »
Things to include in the game:  A girl to pull on stage to dance with during Mysterious Ways?  A Coexist bandana?  McPhisto devil horns?  Muscle shirts?  A giant spot-light?

I would buy it just to have a toy version of the Edge's Explorer and an Bono's Irish Falcon. 

• Precious Stone
« Reply #89 on: January 27, 2010, 03:27:39 PM »
I think I went over this in another thread, but imagine MacPhisto at Red Rocks. Or the Fly at 360.