Author Topic: Bono's Voice  (Read 9534 times)

Offline shkee23

• Wanderer
  • That's where Adam is...Lost in Space
Bono's Voice
« on: October 07, 2009, 02:09:52 PM »
Just had a friendly argument regarding Bono's voice. My friend thinks that Bono can't sing anymore. I think that Bono's voice is as good as it's been since...well, really the end of ZooTV. Obviously, it's a different voice we're dealing with now, as he's older, etc. I presented him with videos comparing his voice from PopMart to the end of the Vertigo Tour, as well as from the current tour to Elevation.

He's a trained musician, so maybe Bono's singing "technique" or whatever has declined, but to me, I find it hard to believe that someone could think that this (You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to 4:13) is worse than this (You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to 1:45). Or that this version of "Bad" (You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login 4:55), is worse than this utterly raspy, albeit passionate, version from 2001 (You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login).

I'd like to know what everyone else thinks. I know this is a topic that has been explored before, but not for this current tour, I don't think. Any further input would be great.

Offline p8ru2

• Precious Stone
Re: Bono's Voice
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2009, 07:47:36 PM »
Heya Skee - I haven't checked out your examples but here's two fairly recent threads debating bono's voice: 

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline TheFly

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2009, 07:25:35 AM »
I sometimes find it hard to compare Bono's voice live now to at any other time because on pretty much every song on each new tour that isn't a new one he doesn't give the same care as he did previously. These songs are the ones i find worse for that:

Bad - I've never heard it sung better than on The Joshua Tree Tour. On the Elevation DVD he isn't singing it properly, at times it's almost lazy

Pride - The same problem as my concluding comment above about Bad

I Still Haven't Found - He doesn't even attempt to sing it properly live, deciding instead to sing it with a breathy, airy, light vocal

When comparing Bono's voice i always pay attention to the records. I always find a new tone, a new dimension to Bono's voice on every record that doesn't seem to make it live.

Offline shkee23

• Wanderer
  • That's where Adam is...Lost in Space
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2009, 07:34:18 AM »
I'm not sure I'd call it "laziness" on the Elevation tour. I'd say it was more that his vocal problems were at their height. On the few times they've played Bad on this current tour, Bono has definitely sung it with the power that the song calls for. He hits and sustains the "wide awake" part, something he hasn't been able to do in more than a decade. I agree with your other points, although this time around, he's certainly regained something that was lost on the previous 2-3 tours.

Offline lu galasso

• Babyface
  • i am lu galasso.
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2009, 12:21:57 PM »
I think B's voice sounds amazing this tour...better than ever even!

Offline StrongGirl

• Genius of Compression
  • On BLS I heard the sound of an angel
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2009, 10:45:38 AM »

And I totally agree!!! ;)

Offline U2-obsessed and proud

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • Let The Rain come down, make a brand new ground
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2009, 09:21:25 AM »

I completely agree also.  Absolutely stunning

An Cat Dubh

« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2009, 07:00:53 PM »

I completely agree also.  Absolutely stunning

I haven't seen the show 'in the flesh' yet (Vancouver) so I will reserve judgement. However, I find it hard to believe that it will be better than Red Rocks, for example.

From what I have seen, his voice is in fine form though, and Im sure he sounds just brilliant.

Offline j2736 (i'm not a boy ! )

• Desert Rose
  • watch more television
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2009, 12:49:04 AM »
i agree that Bono's voice has somehow changed already. but, for me, it is not a liability. Bono still remains an excellent performer because the inner passion doesn't diminish. it oozes out everytime he sings his heart out. i still feel goosebumps whenever he sings old songs, and enjoy the new ones. i watched the Rosebowl concert again and, omg, i realized that he sang No Line On The Horizon so beautifully!! :)

Offline u2yooper

• Airborne Ranger
  • Life should be fragrant- rooftop to the basement
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2009, 07:54:53 AM »
I agree, j2736.  I cannot fault the man for growing older.  What he has lost in sheer vocal power, I think has been more than made up for with the character and emotion he can project now.

Offline DGordon1

• Elevated
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2009, 08:07:30 AM »
He doesn't sound "better than ever", but he's sounding damn good, and better than he has done for years. He wouldn't have been able to pull off Ultraviolet as convincingly in any of the last 3 tours.

shockdocta22

« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2009, 06:06:30 PM »
He sounds better than he did on Pop, i hope his voice gets lower, back to zooropa level or Achtung in the future

Offline U2-obsessed and proud

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • Let The Rain come down, make a brand new ground
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2009, 01:30:52 AM »
He sounded grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrreat (as Desmond Tutu would say) tonight at the Rock and Roll show that I was at :P

Offline ayajedi

• Child of Grace
  • Don't Let the Bastards Grind You Down
« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2009, 10:55:07 AM »
his voice has certainly changed over the years. He sounder in good form at Wembley in London but not so good at the Rose Bowl in Pasadena. I sometimes think he needs to sing in a lower register to retain his power. He does that sing/speak thing more often now to his discredit

Offline Alana

• Stateless
« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2009, 05:45:04 PM »
I agree, his voice has changed over the years, but in my opinion it sounds unreal this tour! The slight raspy voice is sexy!