Author Topic: Bono's Voice  (Read 9532 times)

shockdocta22

Re: Bono's Voice
« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2009, 06:01:47 PM »
his voice is great, he just runs out of breath quicker...

Offline Yukona [The League of Extraordinary Bonopeople]

• Staring at the Sun
  • too much is not enough
« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2009, 08:58:46 PM »
Love the fact that he can sing much easier in his upper register now than at any other time, but I would like him to get back to the more melodic, head voice tone of singing he had on Zoo TV.

• Staring at the Sun
  • too much is not enough
« Reply #17 on: November 03, 2009, 09:03:36 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Just had a friendly argument regarding Bono's voice. My friend thinks that Bono can't sing anymore. I think that Bono's voice is as good as it's been since...well, really the end of ZooTV. Obviously, it's a different voice we're dealing with now, as he's older, etc. I presented him with videos comparing his voice from PopMart to the end of the Vertigo Tour, as well as from the current tour to Elevation.

He's a trained musician, so maybe Bono's singing "technique" or whatever has declined, but to me, I find it hard to believe that someone could think that this (You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to 4:13) is worse than this (You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to 1:45). Or that this version of "Bad" (You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login 4:55), is worse than this utterly raspy, albeit passionate, version from 2001 (You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login).

I'd like to know what everyone else thinks. I know this is a topic that has been explored before, but not for this current tour, I don't think. Any further input would be great.

Best performance of All I Want is You ever? Slane 2001, the last few "Yous" going into Streets. I have never heard him hit a note like that before or since.

Offline Rock N Roll Girl

• Numb
  • Too much is not enough...
« Reply #18 on: November 03, 2009, 09:05:27 PM »
Just had a friendly argument regarding Bono's voice. My friend thinks that Bono can't sing anymore. I think that Bono's voice is as good as it's been since...well, really the end of ZooTV. Obviously, it's a different voice we're dealing with now, as he's older, etc. I presented him with videos comparing his voice from PopMart to the end of the Vertigo Tour, as well as from the current tour to Elevation.

He's a trained musician, so maybe Bono's singing "technique" or whatever has declined, but to me, I find it hard to believe that someone could think that this (You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to 4:13) is worse than this (You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to 1:45). Or that this version of "Bad" (You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login 4:55), is worse than this utterly raspy, albeit passionate, version from 2001 (You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login).

I'd like to know what everyone else thinks. I know this is a topic that has been explored before, but not for this current tour, I don't think. Any further input would be great.

Best performance of All I Want is You ever? Slane 2001, the last few "Yous" going into Streets. I have never heard him hit a note like that before or since.

So true. Those are out of this world beautiful!

Offline halljoh2

• Headache in a Suitcase
  • Lets see colours that have never been seen.
« Reply #19 on: November 07, 2009, 09:57:58 PM »

So true. Those are out of this world beautiful!

All I want is F'in you man!!!

in all seriousness i think that is probably my favorite "streets" and a great version of all i want is you.

• Staring at the Sun
  • too much is not enough
« Reply #20 on: November 08, 2009, 03:26:06 AM »

in all seriousness i think that is probably my favorite "streets" and a great version of all i want is you.

I never actually understood that. Was he just trying to be good-natured about being splashed?

Offline fly girl

• Babyface
  • I still haven't found what I'm looking for
« Reply #21 on: November 08, 2009, 10:47:31 AM »
His voice has changed over the years, but he has definitely been on top form on this tour.  I love it!

Offline Alana

• Stateless
« Reply #22 on: November 08, 2009, 12:16:18 PM »
Like his looks changing every tour, his voice has gone through some changes as he ages, and I like them all!

Offline Rock N Roll Girl

• Numb
« Reply #23 on: November 08, 2009, 04:55:11 PM »

I never actually understood that. Was he just trying to be good-natured about being splashed?

I think so, because he was smiling when he said it. But I always thought it was too bad it happened as it spoiled the romantic mood of the song, which he had dedicated to Ali, and was otherwise the best ever version.

• Staring at the Sun
  • too much is not enough
« Reply #24 on: November 09, 2009, 04:27:00 AM »

I think so, because he was smiling when he said it. But I always thought it was too bad it happened as it spoiled the romantic mood of the song, which he had dedicated to Ali, and was otherwise the best ever version.

Hmm I can see where you're coming from. I thought it was epic, though, how he went, "All I want is f-ing you, man" to full out epic "ALL I WANT IS, YOOOOUUU!!!" in a few seconds.

Offline Rock N Roll Girl

• Numb
« Reply #25 on: November 09, 2009, 10:50:21 PM »

Hmm I can see where you're coming from. I thought it was epic, though, how he went, "All I want is f-ing you, man" to full out epic "ALL I WANT IS, YOOOOUUU!!!" in a few seconds.

You're right, that was epic! He is a man of many talents!

Offline Mr. BonorFLYd

• Child of Grace
  • Music you can eat!
« Reply #26 on: November 14, 2009, 08:30:51 AM »

Even if you're trained it comes down to personal taste in the end. I'm a 'trained' singer too. Bono's voice has undoubtedly changed. In his youth, the tone was more pure and the sound fuller and more muscular. Now, Bono over the last 10 years or so has a slightly more worn and raspy sound, but there are times I think he is now a better singer in using his voice. Sometimes limitations force you to be more original, economical, and make you take directions you wouldn't have traveled otherwise. Bono adds more color and subtlety to his singing now, and pays more attention to phrasing. He can still soar and hold out long sustained notes, but it's true he has lost some of the youthful raw power - some of which also comes from anger.

But, oddly, to me...it sounds like Bono is now more of a Tenor now as opposed to when he was younger, he sounded more like a Baritone with good solid high notes. Bono now, especially on No Line On The Horizon, sings mostly in his upper register and this music is set mostly in the Tenor range. There are fewer times he sings in his lower range and then soars up to the high note. Bono on NLOTH is really 'working it' vocally, and he does a great job IMHO. He sounds pretty comfortable up there and I can tell you their are a lot of singers who couldn't make a change from singing Baritone to Tenor as easily and well executed as Bono.

That said, although I am impressed with him, I do see him straining in the neck area as he always has - and that is a concern. That's his achilles heel if you will. That amount of pressure in that region is not healthy. Bono needs to take deeper breaths and let the tone spin, and allow for more time to take breaths. Easier said than done , I realize, in Rock music. The challenges of being a singer are not solely relegated to the challenges of the instrument itself, but the material, the song writing that the singer/instrument has to work with.

I like the new album a lot, but I'd like to see a return to the type of song writing that allows Bono to use more of the registers of his voice. Verses that start in a lower register and Choruses that move to a higher register with soaring high notes. Not only will this make for more dynamic contrasts in the songs themselves, it will allow Bono to again be a more dramatic singer and use more of the colors that many of us like in his lower and higher registers. The variance and the ability to go from one register to the other and make interesting choices throughout is what interests me.

There is a current trend in songwriting that makes the verse registers sound in closer proximity to the CHorus register so that everything in theory is at a heightened state. But, what often happens instead is a 'sameness' where the music and the vocal line goes flat. The important thing, most of the time, is not how high you can sing or play, but how you get there and what you do within those moments, the artistic choices you make. All that said, I love NLOTH, but there are times where this is a caveat that I hear them fall into. Many of the best songs, U2 or other, have a build to them where they don't stay in the same register and therefore the high notes, sound higher than they really are and the songwriter has brilliantly kept us waiting breathlessly to hear this high note, and the singer brilliantly keeps us on the edge of our seat wondering if he/she will actually be able to hit that song...and for how long!

All this said, lol - I've yet to write a song as brilliant as many of the songs U2 have written. Hopefully, someday I will!  :)

Offline ayajedi

• Child of Grace
  • Don't Let the Bastards Grind You Down
« Reply #27 on: November 14, 2009, 09:25:03 AM »
Interesting post Mr. BonorFLYd. It made me think

• Staring at the Sun
  • too much is not enough
« Reply #28 on: November 14, 2009, 10:37:29 AM »

Even if you're trained it comes down to personal taste in the end. I'm a 'trained' singer too. Bono's voice has undoubtedly changed. In his youth, the tone was more pure and the sound fuller and more muscular. Now, Bono over the last 10 years or so has a slightly more worn and raspy sound, but there are times I think he is now a better singer in using his voice. Sometimes limitations force you to be more original, economical, and make you take directions you wouldn't have traveled otherwise. Bono adds more color and subtlety to his singing now, and pays more attention to phrasing. He can still soar and hold out long sustained notes, but it's true he has lost some of the youthful raw power - some of which also comes from anger.

But, oddly, to me...it sounds like Bono is now more of a Tenor now as opposed to when he was younger, he sounded more like a Baritone with good solid high notes. Bono now, especially on No Line On The Horizon, sings mostly in his upper register and this music is set mostly in the Tenor range. There are fewer times he sings in his lower range and then soars up to the high note. Bono on NLOTH is really 'working it' vocally, and he does a great job IMHO. He sounds pretty comfortable up there and I can tell you their are a lot of singers who couldn't make a change from singing Baritone to Tenor as easily and well executed as Bono.

That said, although I am impressed with him, I do see him straining in the neck area as he always has - and that is a concern. That's his achilles heel if you will. That amount of pressure in that region is not healthy. Bono needs to take deeper breaths and let the tone spin, and allow for more time to take breaths. Easier said than done , I realize, in Rock music. The challenges of being a singer are not solely relegated to the challenges of the instrument itself, but the material, the song writing that the singer/instrument has to work with.

I like the new album a lot, but I'd like to see a return to the type of song writing that allows Bono to use more of the registers of his voice. Verses that start in a lower register and Choruses that move to a higher register with soaring high notes. Not only will this make for more dynamic contrasts in the songs themselves, it will allow Bono to again be a more dramatic singer and use more of the colors that many of us like in his lower and higher registers. The variance and the ability to go from one register to the other and make interesting choices throughout is what interests me.

There is a current trend in songwriting that makes the verse registers sound in closer proximity to the CHorus register so that everything in theory is at a heightened state. But, what often happens instead is a 'sameness' where the music and the vocal line goes flat. The important thing, most of the time, is not how high you can sing or play, but how you get there and what you do within those moments, the artistic choices you make. All that said, I love NLOTH, but there are times where this is a caveat that I hear them fall into. Many of the best songs, U2 or other, have a build to them where they don't stay in the same register and therefore the high notes, sound higher than they really are and the songwriter has brilliantly kept us waiting breathlessly to hear this high note, and the singer brilliantly keeps us on the edge of our seat wondering if he/she will actually be able to hit that song...and for how long!

All this said, lol - I've yet to write a song as brilliant as many of the songs U2 have written. Hopefully, someday I will!  :)

That's a good, solid analysis of Bono's voice there. I agree with what you said about straining in the neck area, I face the same problem myself. The advice I've always gotten is to "sing more from the diaphragm", but that's always confused me. How exactly do you sing from the diaphragm? It's all rather vague. Is there some method I can use?

Offline Mr. BonorFLYd

• Child of Grace
  • Music you can eat!
« Reply #29 on: November 14, 2009, 11:55:17 AM »

That's a good, solid analysis of Bono's voice there. I agree with what you said about straining in the neck area, I face the same problem myself. The advice I've always gotten is to "sing more from the diaphragm", but that's always confused me. How exactly do you sing from the diaphragm? It's all rather vague. Is there some method I can use?

When teachers say 'Sing from the diaphragm' that's just a catchy visual they are using. You can't actually sing from the diaphragm. When you breathe, you can feel the muscles of the diaphragm pushing downward and I believe it's the intercostal muscles that are pushing outward and upward on the ribcage...if i remember correctly. Their are several sets of muscles that are involved in breathing and vocal production. So, as you inhale, you need to feel the sensations of the diaphragm moving downward and the other muscles, intercostal etc. pushing outward. practice this while lying down or sitting in a chair with your back against the back of the chair. When you inhale, because you are a 3 dimensional being, all sides of you should be expanding. You can feel your sides and your back expand as you inhale. It's like a balloon. When you blow up a balloon it isn't just one side that expands - but all sides. A good visual to use with kids, and because it's so simple I actually like to remember it, is to bend over from the torso and imagine you are a camel. place your hands on your back and as you inhale feel your back expand. Just as a camel stores water, Singers need to store air.

The tendency for singers of popular music, a lot of Rock singers included, is to take a quick gasp for air to get to the next phrase. But what happens is many singers when they do this take a shallow breath, and concentrate all the tension in their chest area. Singers that do this are not actually getting the breath they need and are in fact bypassing the more effective natural way of breathing. Natural deep breath should feel like the way you breath when you sleep. You can develop the muscles in the stomach area and good breathing technique that will allow the quick catch breaths needed for some music, and the deeper breathing needed for longer sustained notes. *But, careful not to interpret this as working out and doing crunches to develop a 'six-pack', abs of steel. Actually many teachers believe that rigorous workouts of the abdominal muscles tighten and compress the muscles in that region making it more difficult for them to expand. If you are into fitness and work out this area, do it gradually and keep up your singing breathing exercises as you progress, or you will find that you've lost some of the control and ability to expand. It will feel as though you've lost some feeling and control over your ability to monitor your breathing. And if you bench press, try to have a spotter that can watch the tension in your neck. Do not hold tension in your neck. Actually, some voice teachers will not take on students who lift weights!