Author Topic: The reason you became U2 fan?  (Read 6337 times)

Offline Discotheque Girl

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • You break and enter my imagination
The reason you became U2 fan?
« on: January 12, 2009, 02:30:21 PM »
Wich song made you became U2 fan or reason??
For example,when I heard Hold me,thrill me,kiss me,kill me I couldn't stop listening to that song...;)

Offline Nielsen

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • The Edge is on fire
Re: The reason you became U2 fan?
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2009, 02:32:00 PM »
Beautiful Day and then Pride In the Name of Love - The Edge's guitar work caught me  ;)

Offline kev346

• Party Girl/Boy
  • I'm ready I'm ready for the laughing gas
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2009, 02:55:13 PM »
It might not be one most people would choose but Surrender off War ! I'd like U2 for a while but something about that track really got me hooked .

Offline Dali

• Child of Grace
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2009, 03:09:54 PM »
I had known their name from Roy Orbison's "She's A Mystery To Me", which was on my 1st CD I got. A while later, I got to hear a song that came up on MTV and I thought that guitar work is great and melodious, and the vocal melody and delivery when the guy goes " ... more than a lot / you gave me nothing now it's all I got / we're one but we're not the same / well we hurt each other and we'll do it again you say / love is a temple / love's a higher law/ ..." really hit home.
And when the credits came on, it turned out to have been a song by U2.
Unsurprisingly, I wanted to listen to more of their songs.

Offline Aburrow

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2009, 03:25:07 PM »
The Joshua Tree. Greatest album of all time.

Offline evel12314

• Elevated
  • Squeeze out sparks of light.
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2009, 04:43:36 PM »
It was Thursday, March 3rd, 2005. I was 13. On the way to see my brother's band play at a nearby university, my dad played Bomb in the car. I had heard it before, but this was the first time I really listened to it. When City of Blinding Lights came on, I said, "Where has this been all my life?"
For the next few months my daily routine when I came home from school was to listen to the whole album while playing solitaire on my floor and eating yogurt. When I finished the whole album, I would put Bity of Blinding Lights on repeat for a while.

Offline onetreehill

• Up With the Sun
  • to the rhythm of my soul
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2009, 06:55:00 PM »
My reason was silly, I had a crush on a boy in high school, I think the 9th or 10th grade?  and he had a T-shirt for the band U2, I think it was "War"? can't really remember?  but they (U2) had just played a small venue here at our college show spot, and this boy I liked was going on how his brother saw them the night before and how amazing they were.  Well I thought I have to find out about this band so "cute guy" and I have something to talk about?  Well it is now 25 some odd years later and I can't remember "cute guys" name, but I sure do know all the names of the members of that band! ;D

Offline TheFlyingLemon

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2009, 07:05:55 PM »
Beautiful Day, the song and the lyrics were so memorable not to mention that amazing music video which I watch oh so often on my iPod Nano.  :)

Offline evel12314

• Elevated
  • Squeeze out sparks of light.
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2009, 07:10:46 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
My reason was silly, I had a crush on a boy in high school, I think the 9th or 10th grade?  and he had a T-shirt for the band U2, I think it was "War"? can't really remember?  but they (U2) had just played a small venue here at our college show spot, and this boy I liked was going on how his brother saw them the night before and how amazing they were.  Well I thought I have to find out about this band so "cute guy" and I have something to talk about?  Well it is now 25 some odd years later and I can't remember "cute guys" name, but I sure do know all the names of the members of that band! ;D

That's so funny! ;D ;D

Offline CGE

• Precious Stone
  • Without TUF there never would have been JT- Edge
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2009, 07:18:13 PM »
See Vlad you cant really be The Edge
Never heard him say Beautiful Day was his favorite song...or is it???
(Creepy mystery music)

Offline aarond

• Party Girl/Boy
  • What no man can own, no man can take.
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2009, 07:18:45 PM »
The Joshua Tree. Greatest album of all time.

Yes.

When I was in 7th grade my teacher played Sunday, Bloody Sunday for us when we were learning about the conflict in Ireland. I remember thinking, protesting isn't just for hippies anymore! The Joshua Tree was my next album after War, and its been 15 sweet years of the bliss.

streetmission

« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2009, 07:29:57 PM »
It was February 3, 2002, and I was with a group of college friends watching Super Bowl XXXVI.  U2 came on at halftime and blew me away.  One of my friends was gushing about how much she loves U2.  I was vaguely familiar with some of their songs and asked if I could borrow an album.  She loaned me ATYCLB, and I was instantly hooked.  I fell hard and fast for those Irish lads.  By the end of March 2002 (less than 8 weeks later!) I owned every album they'd ever recorded, and then some! :D

Offline TheFlyingLemon

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2009, 07:33:44 PM »
See Vlad you cant really be The Edge
Never heard him say Beautiful Day was his favorite song...or is it???
(Creepy mystery music)

Blasphemy! The Fly is my absolute favourite song!

An Cat Dubh

« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2009, 07:42:43 PM »
I was 14 years in 1983 and I had heard Sunday Bloody Sunday and New Year's Day. I liked the tunes, they sounded very interesting to me but I did not really know much about music and what it all meant at that early age - hell I was 13-14 years old!
Then I noticed the War album cover (a guy at school had it), and that was it. I had to know about that striking image, so I purchsed the album with my pocket money at the end of the week. The rest is history.
So it was more of an image that just the songs that hooked me.

Offline StrongGirl

• Genius of Compression
  • On BLS I heard the sound of an angel
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2009, 10:12:00 PM »
In a small club in Manhattan called the Ritz( U2 remembers it well I'm sure) - a band came on and played I Will Follow.  I have been following them ever since-25 years and counting. Someone who was with the band told my friend at the bar to enjoy them now because the time was coming soon when you wouldn't be able to get a ticket.  How right he was!!!!!