Author Topic: Would THE CLAW fit inside baseball stadiums?  (Read 1291 times)

Offline HBK-79

• Babyface
  • I listen thru your ears...Thru your eyes I can see
Would THE CLAW fit inside baseball stadiums?
« on: October 08, 2009, 10:06:51 PM »
Hey guys. As we all know, the North American tour dates for 2010 have yet to be announced. And there's been a lot of speculation regarding which venue the band will play at next year. Some venues are more likely than others.

I live in a the New York Metro area. Some of my friends have the idea that the band could hit Major League Baseball stadiums on the second North American leg. Places like Yankee Stadium in NYC and Citizens Bank Park in Philly come to mind. I think The Police once performed at Citizens Bank Park.

So do you think THE CLAW would fit inside MLB stadiums?

So far, THE CLAW has been built inside football stadiums only. So I wonder if it's feasible to do these shows inside baseball stadiums. (Rogers Centre houses both a baseball field and a football field- so that's a different story.)

What do you guys think?

Offline EdgeFest [Zenmaster360]

• Airborne Ranger
  • My blog: mrstheedge.com
Re: Would THE CLAW fit inside baseball stadiums?
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2009, 10:10:34 PM »
It fit inside Rogers Centre while it was converted to a baseball field size, so yes.

Offline jfp612

• Wanderer
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2009, 10:26:00 PM »
The local (Boston) entertainment reporters like to throw out the Fenway Park rumor.  I have a hard time seeing Fenway accommodating the stage.  I do think newer stadiums, like the Yankee's, could.

I realize you only asked if the stadium would fit in a ball park, but more important are the economics.  If Giants stadium can hold 80K fans.  What would Yankee stadium hold?  My best guess is that Fenway Park would hold only half of Gillette Stadium's capacity.

Also, if they tour America in the summer why even bother with ball parks because football stadiums would not be in use.

hurricane hugo

« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2009, 10:54:55 PM »
The San Diego and Oakland shows will be in baseball stadiums. One of the reasons football stadiums are desired is that the sidestage seats will be so much closer to the stage.

#@!

Offline The Wanderer

• Party Girl/Boy
  • U2360 Stage for Babies
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2009, 08:42:40 AM »
I think a concern would be the damage to the field.  Baseball will be in full-swing next June and July.  Having the fields covered (I assume there will be GA) for a few days, then having thousands walking on it will not be good to field turf.  Soldier Field was a mess, and during the CBS telecast they mentioned several times the U2 concert and the impact it had on the field.  don't want to heat gripes about how U2 destroyed Busch Stadium, PetCo Park, Coors Field, etc. 

But the Claw would work perfectly in Baseball stadiums, as seats are more countoured to face the middle of the field.   

Offline Vervefloyd

• Refugee
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2009, 09:29:23 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I think a concern would be the damage to the field.  Baseball will be in full-swing next June and July.  Having the fields covered (I assume there will be GA) for a few days, then having thousands walking on it will not be good to field turf.  Soldier Field was a mess, and during the CBS telecast they mentioned several times the U2 concert and the impact it had on the field.  don't want to heat gripes about how U2 destroyed Busch Stadium, PetCo Park, Coors Field, etc. 

But the Claw would work perfectly in Baseball stadiums, as seats are more countoured to face the middle of the field.   

the claw was made for the round style baseball stadiums whereas in a football stadium u can still be miles away.  however i doubt U2 would want to play to such a small scale.

Offline The Wanderer

• Party Girl/Boy
  • U2360 Stage for Babies
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2009, 03:00:48 PM »
Rumour has it, the Claw will land in baseball stadiums.  Take St.Louis.  I think U2 feels thay may not be able to sell-out Edward Jones Stadium, and they can't fit the Clay into an arean, so baseball stadiums are the next option. 

Offline thehype88

• Stateless
  • A woman needs a man like a fish needs a bicycle
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2009, 03:56:54 PM »
i think they should just throw a show in central park

Offline tdot1a

• Stateless
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2009, 04:49:04 PM »
YES -

Offline aurabender

• Numb
  • dressed up like a car crash
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2009, 07:19:08 PM »
tdot, based on that diagram, they add seating into the outfied, is that right? Looking at the schedule of proposed US dates, it looks like they will be playing a lot of baseball fields, accept for Greenbay.

hurricane hugo

« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2009, 08:39:18 PM »
The E. Lansing date is a football stadium. San Diego, Miami and Oakland are mixed use (baseball/football) stadiums. The Minneapolis show will be at one of the two football stadiums there due to the Twins playing a home series when U2's scheduled to be there. NYC will be a football stadium. Denver, St. Louis, Cleveland and Philadelphia have football and baseball stadiums in/around their areas. If someone feels like going to those teams' websites to check their 2010 schedules, we can narrow the possibilities down a bit.

#@!

Offline tdot1a

• Stateless
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2009, 06:41:01 AM »
no seats in the outfield - I know what you are talking about on the diagram - I thought those were going to be VIP bleachers or worse power generators.  In the end the only thing on the floor "behind the stage" were the barricades to keep the punters safe and the road open for the band to enter and leave. 

I link to my short video from behind if you care what it looks like in a baseball stadium - SPOILER:

Offline tdot1a

• Stateless
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2009, 06:44:42 AM »
that is no "added seats" in the outfield - what you see is what the Rogers Centre always have for baseball.  I shot the previous video from row three in the lower bowl behind the stage.  Lower bowl in this case is 12' at least above the playing surface so sight lines were clean to the stage - over the amps.....

hurricane hugo

« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2009, 06:49:05 PM »
The E. Lansing date is a football stadium. San Diego, Miami and Oakland are mixed use (baseball/football) stadiums. The Minneapolis show will be at one of the two football stadiums there due to the Twins playing a home series when U2's scheduled to be there. NYC will be a football stadium. Denver, St. Louis, Cleveland and Philadelphia have football and baseball stadiums in/around their areas. If someone feels like going to those teams' websites to check their 2010 schedules, we can narrow the possibilities down a bit.

#@!

I just checked. the Colorado Rockies, Cleveland Indians, St. Louis Cardinals and Philadelphia Phillies will each be on the road when U2 pulls into their cities. I also looked at the parks; there aren't nearly enough outfield seats in Cleveland or St. Louis. Denver and Philly look like their parks have roughly the same number of outfield seats as the Rogers Center in Toronto. Bottom line: I'd bet on a football stadium date in each of these 4 cities.

#@!