Author Topic: your choices for 2010 openers are?  (Read 7034 times)

Offline OhioanforU2

• Stateless
Re: your choices for 2010 openers are?
« Reply #30 on: October 12, 2009, 10:31:06 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
1 BECK  ;D

2 MGMT

MGMT would never do it. the lead singer hates Bono

SHOCKHOUND: But at least you had fun with your concerts.

VANWYNGARDEN: Yeah, we staged a show for our senior recital in which we fought God in this chapel. We just got assigned a senior recital, and no one really asked any questions about it. So we just ended up in this old chapel there, and we kinda made up what we were gonna do a coupla weeks beforehand. We slaughtered Bono! Well, we slaughtered a life-size Bono doll. It didn't make any sense, and I don't know why we did it. But we wrote songs specifically for it, and we made a giant second-generation iPod prop, too, with lights for buttons. And the songs were "You've Been Accused" and "In Your Name" the titles weren't that exciting. But we thought that if we concentrated enough yin/yang energy there, God would react. And it ended with this drone, and us looking upwards at the dome of the chapel, and we had our friend's dog Blue up there we were holding him aloft, waiting for some sorta sign. But nothing ever happened.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Based on their music, this must have been their creative high point.

Well, I guess as long as we have U2, we will also always have overrated flavors of the month.

I guess MGMT wasn't a very well thought-out choice on my part...I really don't know much about them.

How about My Life With The Thrill Kill Kult ! ;D

countrygirl

« Reply #31 on: October 12, 2009, 10:34:56 AM »
^I've never even heard of them!  :D :D

Offline burningstarsxe

• Party Girl/Boy
  • love, we shine like a burning star
« Reply #32 on: October 12, 2009, 10:52:10 AM »
Snow Patrol were a fantastic opener in my opinion, but somehow I don't think we'll be seeing them again this tour. :P I'd love to get a chance to see Muse, but once again I don't think they'll be returning. So, not counting them, I vote Anberlin or Switchfoot. ^_^

Offline muthangya

• Wanderer
« Reply #33 on: October 12, 2009, 11:15:57 AM »
Mute Math.

Almost tied for best live act I've ever seen.  Sometimes they're not even tied... :o

Offline Midnight is Where the Day Begins

• Genius of Compression
  • Oh it's time, it's time, it's IeTOUR time!!
« Reply #34 on: October 12, 2009, 11:17:10 AM »
Hurry Fly, we should definetly hide!!!!!!!   ???

Right *hides with CG*

Oh and I GOT THE BEST IDEA!!!

BLUE MAN GROUP!!!!!!

Offline EdgeFest [Zenmaster360]

• Airborne Ranger
  • My blog: mrstheedge.com
« Reply #35 on: October 12, 2009, 11:29:29 AM »
Kasabian

YES!!! That would be AMAZING.

Offline TheHype

• Babyface
  • No spoken words, just a scream
« Reply #36 on: October 12, 2009, 05:19:11 PM »
I had to clean the vomit off my keyboard after I read the Maroon 5 suggestion. How can people be into music and not have heard of MGMT? So they don't like Bono, who cares? Doesn't mean they don't have some good songs, especially the Bowie like songs. Kings of Leon is an absurd suggestion since they are far too big now. Besides I say KOL open 5 times on the Vertigo tour, and NO ONE paid any attention to them.
My suggestion: Silversun Pickups, because that's what I'm listening to the most right now, that and Son House but he's dead.

Offline ElJayVee

• Airborne Ranger
  • Love is clockworks and cold steel
« Reply #37 on: October 12, 2009, 05:28:01 PM »
I agree with thehype^  Silversun Pickups - great rhythm section, interesting vocals.  But Airborne Toxic Event or Anberlin or Kasabian would be awesome, too.

Offline muthangya

• Wanderer
« Reply #38 on: October 13, 2009, 12:32:45 AM »
or Fleet Foxes!

Offline chadp123

• Wanderer
« Reply #39 on: October 13, 2009, 06:47:48 AM »
arcade fire

i think this one is a real possibility.  they have been at work on their 3rd album since april - i assume it will be out in 2010.  they've been on break from touring since 2008. 

we know u2 are fond of them as they came out to the arcade fire song "wake up" quite often on the vertigo tour.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2009, 11:48:08 AM by chadp123 »

Offline OhioanforU2

• Stateless
« Reply #40 on: October 13, 2009, 10:14:53 AM »
arcade fire

Arcade Fire, Silversun Pickups(especially SP) and Kasabian all good choices.

If you haven't heard of My Life With The Thrill Kill Kult, this is the song they're most known for...it was used in the animated movie "Cool World" by Ralph Bakshi.

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login    This is probly the one song, more than any other, that I could listen to over and over again and again.

I've seen them numerous times, the last being about a year ago in their hometown of Chicago  ;D

Always a great show !
« Last Edit: October 13, 2009, 10:26:30 AM by OhioanforU2 »

hurricane hugo

« Reply #41 on: October 13, 2009, 11:40:50 AM »
Massive Attack, seeing as they may finally have a new album out around that time.  8)

#@!

Offline OhioanforU2

• Stateless
« Reply #42 on: October 13, 2009, 11:12:27 PM »
since they have a new album out and since they were on Conan last night and since they put on a good live show...........The Flaming Lips !!!

Offline mbeano

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #43 on: October 13, 2009, 11:28:57 PM »
I would love

Chemical Brothers
Rogue Wave
Kasabian
French Kicks
The Ponys
Band of Horses
Explosions in the Sky
Arcade Fire
Muse
Yeah Yeah Yeahs
Black Rebel Motorcycle Club
Bloc Party

Offline mbeano

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #44 on: October 13, 2009, 11:52:41 PM »
I had to clean the vomit off my keyboard after I read the Maroon 5 suggestion. How can people be into music and not have heard of MGMT? So they don't like Bono, who cares? Doesn't mean they don't have some good songs, especially the Bowie like songs. Kings of Leon is an absurd suggestion since they are far too big now. Besides I say KOL open 5 times on the Vertigo tour, and NO ONE paid any attention to them.
My suggestion: Silversun Pickups, because that's what I'm listening to the most right now, that and Son House but he's dead.

It is not all that absurd.  U2 have had bigger bands  open for them who can draw a larger live audience than KOL. 
--No Doubt opened at the peak of their popularity for several dates of the Elevation Tour in LA and specifically ANAHEIM (No Doubt's home base, where they can and have easily sold out many shows on their own)
--Pearl Jam opened for them in Hawaii and they are still a HUGE live draw.  But even before then, in 1993 they opened for U2 near the peak of their popularity.
--Muse is a huge act (although they havent broken that big in America
--Oasis was still huge during Popmart when they opened
--Garbage was big at the time they opened for U2
--The Killers opened after Hot Fuss had already become a huge success and gone multiplatinum

The above were merely the acts that have sold ALOT of records and been a big live draw on their own (because "too big" was the only thing mentioned).  This isnt even mentioning the opening acts who are practically legends - Pixies, Velvet Underground, Lou Reed, BB King, Public Enemy, the Pretenders