Author Topic: Does the band ever just get so bored with their "job"?  (Read 5118 times)

daveyg

Does the band ever just get so bored with their "job"?
« on: October 10, 2009, 02:32:20 PM »
Just reading through a few threads with people getting excited over the latest U2 gig in their local town (and rightly so) and just wondering how bored you think the band get from

(1) touring- -living out of a hotel room for two years give or take
(2) playing the same songs over and over - it might be YOUR first time hearing THAT particular song live but may be the band's millionth time playing it

Im just wondering if the band view touring as "part of the job" much the same as Id consider sending an email at work or do they still feel it as fresh as they would have 10, 20 or 30 years ago?

Offline theocean

• Genius of Compression
  • The songs are in your eyes
Re: Does the band ever just get so bored with their "job"?
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2009, 05:40:01 PM »
I dont think they feel its like a desk job, probably every show has its variety,
yet it is a "job" and I'm sure some parts get old like anything, yet unlike our boring
jobs, they travel and make a good profit and get more famous.
Yes they get bored but the frills are way better than If we get bored. They are U2.

Offline Joe90usa

• Airborne Ranger
  • Dragons Rule! Catfish Drool.
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2009, 12:37:09 AM »
I think if the crowd is with them, it does not feel like a job. When the crowd is more of an observer than a participant, the band tend to "phone in" their performance at these shows.

Offline Mystways

• Elevated
  • wild Irish rose
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2009, 06:43:43 AM »
Well, I haven't done anything for as long as they have, but I know that during a long run of Nutcracker performances, you can get pretty sick of it. That's why dancers like to switch up their performances, maybe throw in an inside joke, or do a solo slightly different. It helps keep it fresh.

Also, Joe's comment is true to me. It makes a lot of difference if you feel like the audience is "with you". There's just a unique energy that brings.

Offline avsky

• Babyface
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2009, 09:32:06 PM »
Why do we try to justify their completely frivolous adulation of money? I apologize if my opinion offends anyone, but this an entirely redundant question. If they don't get bored with their "jobs", then we've come to no substantial conclusion, which was expected. However, if they do get bored, then they're unappreciative "chums".

**As a "new" member, you may have skimmed over the rules about language that you agreed to when you signed up here. Please review them. Thanks.**

To address this comment; you made a grammatical mistake in my original post, therefore causing some to question my intelligence despite the mistake being yours entirely: unnapreciative is not equivalent to unappreciated.  ::) To conclude, I'm well aware of the rules, I pride myself in finding loopholes; I find it interesting that you, being a moderator, are not aware of the fact that "********", excluding the "b", because apparently it's considered profanity, can be any assortment of words; for instance: bandanas.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2009, 11:15:57 PM by avsky »

daveyg

« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2009, 03:42:42 AM »
Rules are rules - don't like them, then don't post or spend your day trying to find loopholes on how to bend or question the rules. This forum prides itself on discussing topics in an open and friendly manner and the mods jobs shouldnt feel like all their judgement based on the rules should be questioned.

Now, back on topic, noting that your opinion is as valid as anyones, but the original topic was aiming at the fact that U2 might be in a position that they're spending 2 out of every 4 years living out of a hotel room, and finding they're caught in fans looking for more and contractual restraints, they themselves might find the whole lifestyle boring and mundane.

We've come to "no substantial conclusion" as it isnt a debate - it's a forum. And the thread is relatively new. When you're here a bit longer, you'll disciver this yourself.No sudden ground shattering conclusions here!

Offline Joe90usa

• Airborne Ranger
  • Dragons Rule! Catfish Drool.
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2009, 07:13:01 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Why do we try to justify their completely frivolous adulation of money? I apologize if my opinion offends anyone, but this an entirely redundant question. If they don't get bored with their "jobs", then we've come to no substantial conclusion, which was expected. However, if they do get bored, then they're unappreciative "chums".

**As a "new" member, you may have skimmed over the rules about language that you agreed to when you signed up here. Please review them. Thanks.**

To address this comment; you made a grammatical mistake in my original post, therefore causing some to question my intelligence despite the mistake being yours entirely: unnapreciative is not equivalent to unappreciated.  ::) To conclude, I'm well aware of the rules, I pride myself in finding loopholes; I find it interesting that you, being a moderator, are not aware of the fact that "********", excluding the "b", because apparently it's considered profanity, can be any assortment of words; for instance: bandanas.

As a non-moderator and perhaps a non-reader of the rules that you agreed to post by, all posts are required to be in English. "Masked" words are not English and are not approved. Clearly, your knowledge of the rules is not as complete as you thought.

It happens. For instance, and I apologize for going off topic but it helps to make my point, I recently came across an example of someone's interpretation of constitutional rights that totally failed to take into account the difference between the private sector and the public sector of business and what rights pertain to each of those types of entities to run their business. It was a very simple mistake that this person made and that can happen, but the person was so caught up in the emotion of the argument that he never saw the error. Anyways, in the end we all laughed and everything turned out great.

Apologies again for the tangent. Back on topic we go!  :)

Offline avsky

• Babyface
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2009, 06:06:55 PM »

As a non-moderator and perhaps a non-reader of the rules that you agreed to post by, all posts are required to be in English. "Masked" words are not English and are not approved. Clearly, your knowledge of the rules is not as complete as you thought.

It happens. For instance, and I apologize for going off topic but it helps to make my point, I recently came across an example of someone's interpretation of constitutional rights that totally failed to take into account the difference between the private sector and the public sector of business and what rights pertain to each of those types of entities to run their business. It was a very simple mistake that this person made and that can happen, but the person was so caught up in the emotion of the argument that he never saw the error. Anyways, in the end we all laughed and everything turned out great.

"Dang" it, I was going to type my profanity in Spanish, but having read that all statements must be made in English (What a discriminatory rule), you've ruined that as well.

It happens. For instance, and I apologize for going off topic but it helps to make my point, I recently came across an example of someone's interpretation of constitutional rights that totally failed to take into account the difference between the private sector and the public sector of business and what rights pertain to each of those types of entities to run their business.

I so happened to stumble upon that message as well, despite having no relations with the poster. I'm well aware of the rights ordained by the Constitution; any entity, despite its sector is obligated to fulfill its established laws; you can't state one thing, then rebuke that statement and punish anyone contrary to your rebuked statement. The poster, whom of which was banned, hadn't disobeyed the law instituted by this website, and more importantly, the grounds in which the moderator had established. Based on this analysis, one would conclude that what happened to the poster was a suspension of habeas corpus. To express my sentiments in regard to your understanding of law; you fail.

Offline Joe G (Love You Like Mad Magazine)

• Precious Stone
  • 2 souls 2 cool 2 B in the realm of certainty
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2009, 06:36:20 PM »

"Dang" it, I was going to type my profanity in Spanish, but having read that all statements must be made in English (What a discriminatory rule), you've ruined that as well.

It happens. For instance, and I apologize for going off topic but it helps to make my point, I recently came across an example of someone's interpretation of constitutional rights that totally failed to take into account the difference between the private sector and the public sector of business and what rights pertain to each of those types of entities to run their business.

I so happened to stumble upon that message as well, despite having no relations with the poster. I'm well aware of the rights ordained by the Constitution; any entity, despite its sector is obligated to fulfill its established laws; you can't state one thing, then rebuke that statement and punish anyone contrary to your rebuked statement. The poster, whom of which was banned, hadn't disobeyed the law instituted by this website, and more importantly, the grounds in which the moderator had established. Based on this analysis, one would conclude that what happened to the poster was a suspension of habeas corpus. To express my sentiments in regard to your understanding of law; you fail.

YAWN

"Unappreciative" is not spelled correctly. You spelled it correctly the first time, but not the second. Epic fail. The dictionary pwned you.

Offline avsky

• Babyface
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2009, 06:48:31 PM »

YAWN

"Unappreciative" is not spelled correctly. You spelled it correctly the first time, but not the second. Epic fail. The dictionary pwned you.

Allow me to revise your statement, due to the fact that it's riddled with grammatical errors.

Yawn; "unappreciative" is not spelled correctly; you spelled it correctly the first time, but not the second. This is an epic fail; the dictionary pwned(invalid word) showed you.  ;)

I suggest you become aware of semi-colons.

• Precious Stone
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2009, 06:55:49 PM »

YAWN

Allow me to revise your statement, due to the fact that it's riddled with grammatical errors.

Yawn; "unappreciative" is not spelled correctly; you spelled it correctly the first time, but not the second. This is an epic fail; the dictionary pwned(invalid word) showed you.  ;)

You're welcome. I know it must be maddening for you to misspell words. I am glad I was able to point out your shortcomings.

Offline avsky

• Babyface
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2009, 07:10:52 PM »

YAWN

You're welcome. I know it must be maddening for you to misspell words. I am glad I was able to point out your shortcomings.

I thought it would be interesting to respond to your, what I'm assuming you thought, invulnerable comment; it's neither substantive, relevant, nor necessary, and as a result, is difficult to respond to due to its blatant nature. Now, having "taken the pi*s out of you", so to speak, you're responding in what seems to be a defensive manner.

• Precious Stone
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2009, 07:15:43 PM »

I thought it would be interesting to respond to your, what I'm assuming you thought, invulnerable comment; it's neither substantive, relevant, nor necessary, and as a result, is difficult to respond to due to its blatant nature. Now, having "taken the pi*s out of you", so to speak, you're responding in what seems to be a defensive manner.

Offline CGE

• Precious Stone
  • Without TUF there never would have been JT- Edge
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2009, 07:46:14 PM »
Wow Joe G- some people are so angry and willing to fight with another person!
I just came in here to say that I am sure they get tired of their job! Doesnt everyone?? Even if you love it and it pays enough to live - you still may get bored sometimes.

Offline avsky

• Babyface
« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2009, 08:16:27 PM »

lol