Author Topic: What happened to Bono at the end of the Dallas gig?  (Read 4912 times)

Offline zooey

• Elevated
  • Boom Cha
What happened to Bono at the end of the Dallas gig?
« on: October 13, 2009, 10:41:28 PM »
During MOS, it seemed that Bono was in serious pain.  He could barely sing the end of the song and his face was contorted.  His tech (I forget his name) hovered tensly behind the bass rig, looking for a moment to come out, it seemed.  As soon as B hit the last note his tech, jumped out and touched his shoulder.  Bono seemed startled.

I have a feeling something happened with his in-ear-monitor, like there was some serious feedback or something - which I can imagine would be horribly painful. 

Anyone hear anything about this?

Offline jw

• Intellectual Tortoise
Re: What happened to Bono at the end of the Dallas gig?
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2009, 10:20:39 AM »
I noticed that too.  The impression I got was his ear-piece was too loud because he gestured downward with his hand several times.  but if that's the case, I don't understand why he just didn't take his ear-piece out when it became clear the problem wouldn't go away.  He was on the last song, surely he could have finished the song without the ear-piece.  Then again maybe not.

At one point he did look in pain though when he walked towards the back and almost knelt on the ground.  Also towards the end of the song he was holding the back of his neck like he was in pain.  But that might have been a pose connected with the song.

But after it was all over and they were exiting the stage, Bono looked alright.

But no, I haven't seen/heard any explanation of what was happening.

Offline muthangya

• Wanderer
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2009, 10:42:56 AM »
We were up front & we noticed this as well.  Based on his gesturing at the beginning of the song (MOS), the levels in his in-ear monitor were way too high.  I don't think the sound booth understood his gesturing right away because he seemed to be trying to communicate it to them for a few seconds.

However, at the end of the song, it looked like he got some major feedback and I can only imagine how painful that would be via an in-ear monitor.  He nearly jumped back to Larry's kit and pulled the monitors out of his ears.  He looked really pi**ed as well.  And he closed the show very uncharacteristically.  Normally at the end of MOS, he'll say a few more thank yous and goodbyes, but he really just said "thanks" and that was it.

Based on his reaction/body language, it looked fairly severe.

Offline B-Wood

• Headache in a Suitcase
  • AchtungCloud on old forum
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2009, 11:48:42 AM »
Well he did say "don't forget about us now."

Offline theuntedge

• Stranger in a Strange Land
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2009, 04:14:58 PM »
I was at the very front and he did seem to have a problem with his in-ear monitor.  He seemed to wince in pain at one point and walked back towards Larry like he was having a problem. 

Offline beau99

• Stateless
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2009, 01:21:59 AM »
From what I gather in a video recording of it all, at one point he walked back to Larry's tech trying to find out what was going on (Others who were actually there say this did happen). Supposedly, Bono's tech wasn't at his proper place, and therefore couldn't see Bono's gestures.

Offline p8ru2

• Precious Stone
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2009, 05:42:08 PM »
He is so fired!   ;)

Seriously though, that really sucks for fans and Bono!   :P  I guess the only positive thing, if you can call it that b/c I love MOS, is it happened at the end of the show not before.  A friend reported that the sound was crap in Dallas in the upper levels also...

Offline josh9799

• Babyface
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2010, 04:01:20 PM »
That is really weird...I went over to YouTube to check it out and something was definitely going on with his IEMs but it's really weird that he didn't just take them out. 

Offline eddyjedi

• Elevated
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2010, 05:49:13 PM »
When I was at Cardiff and he was singing bad I thought he was going to have a heart attack, he went very strange for a few mins and stopped singing clutching his chest. Did anyone notice?

Offline stigman

• Party Girl/Boy
  • live is where we live
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2010, 03:51:27 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
When I was at Cardiff and he was singing bad I thought he was going to have a heart attack, he went very strange for a few mins and stopped singing clutching his chest. Did anyone notice?
[/quot
e]

ye i think the wedding from the day before had an effect on him a few times very powerfull show though

Offline bonofaninaustin

• Party Girl/Boy
  • Time leaves us polished stones
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2010, 03:59:51 PM »
I noticed this too. He looked like he was in a lot of pain and seemed to abruptly end the song compared with the other concert I saw. He also looked really pi**ed off. The Dallas show seemed to encounter some problems particulary the sound in the upper seats. I was in the 100s and felt the sound was good during U2's set but Muse was very muddled. I also think the jumbo tron hindered the sight of the stage. I hope they don't play there again.

Offline aurabender

• Numb
  • dressed up like a car crash
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2010, 07:06:07 PM »
Just looked at this video for the first time. That looks painful.

Offline AndyU2

• Numb
  • Dream Out Loud
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2010, 11:54:16 AM »
When I was in the Norman GA line people from the Dallas show were talking about it they said his in-ear-monitor busted. I can only imagine how painful that was for Bono.