Author Topic: Spoiler: Official Reliant Stadium, Houston, Set-List; 14th October 2009  (Read 8241 times)

Offline jick

• Precious Stone
Re: Spoiler: Official Reliant Stadium, Houston, Set-List; 14th October 2009
« Reply #30 on: October 15, 2009, 10:48:24 AM »
October 14, this is exactly 17 years to the day of their show in Houston Astrodome during the Zoo TV era.  I should know because I have the bootleg and it is one of my favorites.

Edge does an incredible guitar solo in WOWY and the band plays Redemption Song.

Who would imagine, that exactly 17 years later and in the same venue, U2 is still playing Ultraviolet?

Cheers,

J

Offline Starfish

• Acrobat
  • Yay, it's Larry!!!
« Reply #31 on: October 15, 2009, 11:18:48 AM »
This is a long story made short, but not too short.  :)

After dragging Mr. S out of bed and going to get the my friend who was babysitting, we finally left the house around noon. We got to the line at about 1:00pm and got numbers 463 and 464. Not too bad. We had fun hanging out with other fans in line, all of us baking, seeing the weather angels worked overtime.  ;)
Mr. S declined to make out on camera with me, but offered the girl to do it with her, which embarrassed her, and so she left very quickly.  ;D

By the time we got to the gate Mr. S was in the spirit of the event, he looked back at me and yelled "Ruuuuuuuun!" So we ran.

I was still undecided about where to stand, I tried to explain all the pros and cons to him. I suggested we take the front of the catwalk, so we can see the stage and the screens, to which Mr. S replied "F*** the screens! Why look at the screens when we can look at the real thing!" It was decided then, so we ended up in the inner circle between Bono and The Edge, with a clear view of Larry the whole time, except when he went out walking. We were about 4 people from the stage, but with shoes on I'm easily 5'10'' so I didn't have anybody in my way.

I was there with my whole heart, soul and body, 100 percent! I sang at the top of my voice, jumped up and down, knocked the lady next to me on the head with my elbow (short people  ::)), and stepped on the high heels of the girl behind me a few times, apologised profusely each time of course. (Honestly, who wears high heels for GA!)

When Larry came out I got totally choked up and burst into tears.  :P  During "Breathe" my cheering was limited to uncontrolled sobs of "It's La-ha-ha-ha-rry!"
I calmed down for a while only to completely fall apart during ISHFWILF. I probably looked like a loon, singing and crying at the same time, but who cares.
I also cried through most of TUF, Walk On and Streets.  ;D

Mr. S was completely oblivious to what I was doing, he was busy taking pictures and filming clips. I must say he took better pictures of Muse because as he put it "They don't move every couple of seconds". He was kind enough to hold on to my purse through most of the show so I was free to rock and roll.

The girl who danced with Bono was a good choice, happy, smiley, didn't make me cringe at all.

Larry was beautiful, and I'm so glad he didn't wear his long pajama top. During the times when Bono and Edge walked around I was the only one around with my eyes fixed firmly on Larry.  :-*  Just couldn't get enough.

We had a very good view of The Edge, at times he was so close I could count the grey hairs on his chest.  ;D Bono was awesome and very entertaining. Adam was his cool handsome self.

The sound was great, the show rocked! I loved every bit of it!!!! GA was awesome!!! It was totally worth it!!

Mr. S turned out to be a great date for the show. When Bono asked everyone to turn their phones on, Mr. S turned on his phone and stuck it in my hand.  ;D

He took a lot of clips, I think he did very well in spite of my continually yelling in his ear "FILM THE DRUMMER!! FILM THE DRUMMER!!!"
Later he asked "What's the obsession with the drummer?" He, he, little does he know....
He caught on camera Larry running across the bridge to the stage and tossing the djembe to his assistant.
I need to line up and clips on a timeline and piece them together, I'll post a link to yt when I'm done.

A lot of the pictures he took came out blurry, but those who took pictures at the show can understand why. Here are some of the good ones.

Larry's front
visitors can't see pics , please You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login or You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Larry's back
visitors can't see pics , please You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login or You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Girl

Happy Starfish with Edge in the background, fully satisfied with her "first time".  ;)

Offline OneStepCloser

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • Can you hear the drummer slowing?
« Reply #32 on: October 15, 2009, 11:26:11 AM »
*looks at Star's pictures* HE PULLED A GIRL ON STAGE?! :o He hasn't done that at all this tour, has he?? Besides his daughter I mean. And that one dancer. Oh man! There's hope! lol :D Was she around the catwalk, or was she in front of the stage?

Also...how did you get a pic of Larry's front AND his back? O_o And and and, I like his shirt! The wings in the back are awesome.

Also also, YAY!! Pretty, happy, satisfied SF!! :D

Offline Starfish

• Acrobat
  • Yay, it's Larry!!!
« Reply #33 on: October 15, 2009, 11:29:50 AM »
A little red, major sunburn from waiting in GA line.  :)

Offline chickenhawk

• Babyface
« Reply #34 on: October 15, 2009, 11:56:35 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
October 14, this is exactly 17 years to the day of their show in Houston Astrodome during the Zoo TV era.  I should know because I have the bootleg and it is one of my favorites.

Edge does an incredible guitar solo in WOWY and the band plays Redemption Song.

Who would imagine, that exactly 17 years later and in the same venue, U2 is still playing Ultraviolet?

Cheers,

J

I was at that show.  It wasn't at the exact same venue (Astrodome), but damn near since Reliant is next door.  Anywho, the show was incredible and I wished I knew that the ZooTv show was 17 years prior.  Amazing how fast time flies.  And yes, Ultraviolet is a song that was made for performance!

Offline Starfish

• Acrobat
  • Yay, it's Larry!!!
« Reply #35 on: October 15, 2009, 12:30:53 PM »
*looks at Star's pictures* HE PULLED A GIRL ON STAGE?! :o He hasn't done that at all this tour, has he?? Besides his daughter I mean. And that one dancer. Oh man! There's hope! lol :D Was she around the catwalk, or was she in front of the stage?

Also...how did you get a pic of Larry's front AND his back? O_o And and and, I like his shirt! The wings in the back are awesome.

The drum set rotates during the show.

The girl must have been next to the runway, that's where he was dancing with her.

Offline chickenhawk

• Babyface
« Reply #36 on: October 15, 2009, 12:38:53 PM »
Starfish,

Awesome pics!  I have some really great video I took from the show.  Trying to figure out how to share it.

countrygirl

« Reply #37 on: October 15, 2009, 12:41:17 PM »
Awe Starfish!!!  Wonderful review!!  I got teary eyed reading it, cause it took me back to how I was feeling 2 weeks ago. Your man is such a good sport!! I cannot believe he was holding your purse!! LOL (next time leave purse in car) hahaha

The pictures are fantastic, I don't like the girl one though, makes me somewhat jealous!  :P

You are a beauty!!! Sunburned and all...

Glad you had such a fantastic time.

Offline Starfish

• Acrobat
  • Yay, it's Larry!!!
« Reply #38 on: October 15, 2009, 12:44:35 PM »
Starfish,

Awesome pics!  I have some really great video I took from the show.  Trying to figure out how to share it.

I have clips too. I'll just put it on youtube and share the link here.

Offline EdgeFest [Zenmaster360]

• Airborne Ranger
  • My blog: mrstheedge.com
« Reply #39 on: October 15, 2009, 12:46:43 PM »
When Larry came out I got totally choked up and burst into tears.  :P  During "Breathe" my cheering was limited to uncontrolled sobs of "It's La-ha-ha-ha-rry!"

I swear they wrote that song for us first-timers, Star.  However, I must report that it does not go away... 4 shows in and I'm still "It's Eh-eh-eh-eh-edge...."

BREATHE!

I calmed down for a while only to completely fall apart during ISHFWILF. I probably looked like a loon, singing and crying at the same time, but who cares.

That, other than the very beginning was my fall-apart moment too in Chicago 1.  I think it's because the Joshua Tree trinity is so completely EPIC, you've spent your life hearing those songs on the radio in the grocery story and WOW OMG OMG OMG HERE THEY ARE doing it LIVE FOR YOU!!!!  Made me lose it too!

We had a very good view of The Edge, at times he was so close I could count the grey hairs on his chest.

Hee HEE!!  You go, Star... you GO :D :D :D  You know EF would have appreciated that :D

I am so glad you had such an amazing time, we were all thinking of you!!  Now I bet you are addicted like I am!

So glad your husband got into it... they may grumble but how can they not get caught up in the amazingness of it all!?!?   ;)

I am going to attempt to sneak a two piece DSLR with telephoto into BC Place and if I do I should have some great shots of the L for you ;)  I will try to take some pix of him, I promise :D

Offline Starfish

• Acrobat
  • Yay, it's Larry!!!
« Reply #40 on: October 15, 2009, 12:56:43 PM »
Countrygirl thank you! I did have a blast. It worked out well with Mr. S not being a fan. He was happy taking pictures and video. When both batteries in the camera died, then he moved on to grooving with the crowd. He makes a great groupie, lol!

The girl dancing with Bono did very well. She kept her distance, her hands didn't run down up and down his back part, she had a very beauitiful smile. I have another picture of her, but it's a bit blurry. It looked like he was more eager to hug her, and she was more a shy type.

countrygirl

« Reply #41 on: October 15, 2009, 12:59:37 PM »
^ Are you trying to kill me?

Offline Starfish

• Acrobat
  • Yay, it's Larry!!!
« Reply #42 on: October 15, 2009, 01:05:00 PM »
Thank you EdgeFest.  :)

You know Edge's magic worked on me. When he would get close to us, look at us and smile, my heart would melt.  :-*

The boys make you feel so appreciated, don't they? Mr. S took a clip with the public singing "Stand by me" with Bono getting choked up.

Oh, and I saw a guy in GA with a massive lense and he did not have a press card. I'm sure you can smuggle it in.
I'll be waiting for the promised pics  ;)

Offline Starfish

• Acrobat
  • Yay, it's Larry!!!
« Reply #43 on: October 15, 2009, 01:05:40 PM »
^ Are you trying to kill me?

Not at all! Look at her, she wasn't a groper, she was a decent girl, it was actually fun to watch them dance.

Offline mscott

• Stranger in a Strange Land
« Reply #44 on: October 15, 2009, 01:11:28 PM »
This is a long story made short, but not too short.  :)

After dragging Mr. S out of bed ..................

Starfish....by the looks of the picture of you with The Edge in the background, I was about 10 - 20 feet to your left.  I stood in the third row of people directly in front of him.  So during Beautiful Day when Bono was walking back to the stage on the bridge, he walked almost directly over me.  I felt like I could reach up and grab his foot.  Awesome show.  Period.  Muse brought it too.  

The funny thing is that I was running late because of work and I parked on the north side of the stadium at straight up 5pm as the doors were opening.  I then walked and then ran to meet my buddy who was # 804 in the GA line.  I ran right up to him literally as he was walking through the first gate.  He handed me my ticket and without a number on my hand I walked through the gates, got my yellow wristy and found my place 10 feet in front of The Edge.  It was stressful getting there even by 5 but I couldn't help but laugh at the awesome place I got to stand without having to get there at 7am!  Awesome reward with a little amount of effort.  Haa.