Author Topic: SPOILER: Is It Too Late For U2 To Add New Songs To Their Set?  (Read 4242 times)

Offline jick

• Precious Stone
SPOILER: Is It Too Late For U2 To Add New Songs To Their Set?
« on: October 18, 2009, 09:47:26 PM »
There are only four shows to go.  Is it safe to say that U2 will be playing only songs they have already previously played on this tour?

Or is there a precedent where 4 show to go, U2 have still added some unplayed songs?

I ask because I will be flying in all the way from the Philippines to catch the Rose Bowl show.  U2 seem to have already hit their touring stride and it could ruin the show if they will play a song they have no rehearsed well - such as something from POP perhaps.

So back to the question, for the remaining songs in this leg - considering their are all one-night-stands - is there a chance U2 will add an unplayed, unproven song?

I sure hope not.  It wouldn't be such a great feeling to be flying all the way from the Philippines and go to Rose Bowl just to catch U2 playing some garbage like Mofo or Discotheque.

Cheers,

J

Offline U2alwaysforever

• Staring at the Sun
  • "And you can dream, so dream out loud."
Re: SPOILER: Is It Too Late For U2 To Add New Songs To Their Set?
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2009, 10:06:17 PM »
I doubt it, a snippet at best. I'm going to the last three in USA, just hoping they dont play identical sets, but if they do i'd still be happy.

An Cat Dubh

« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2009, 10:06:50 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
There are only four shows to go.  Is it safe to say that U2 will be playing only songs they have already previously played on this tour?

Or is there a precedent where 4 show to go, U2 have still added some unplayed songs?

I ask because I will be flying in all the way from the Philippines to catch the Rose Bowl show.  U2 seem to have already hit their touring stride and it could ruin the show if they will play a song they have no rehearsed well - such as something from POP perhaps.

So back to the question, for the remaining songs in this leg - considering their are all one-night-stands - is there a chance U2 will add an unplayed, unproven song?

I sure hope not.  It wouldn't be such a great feeling to be flying all the way from the Philippines and go to Rose Bowl just to catch U2 playing some garbage like Mofo or Discotheque.

Cheers,

J

You just cannot help yourself can you. I would laugh my a** off if they suddenly decided to play one or two songs from Pop and completely ruin your concert. Every other fan in attendence would love it if they mixed it up a bit and played something from Pop, but your long trip from the Philipines would be ruined and hopefully a waste of your money  ;D

Why do you pick on the Pop album again here? Surley the same could be said if they tried any other song from their catalogue that had not been played yet.

Troll!
« Last Edit: October 18, 2009, 10:12:05 PM by Zoost »

Offline EdgeUK8_my_mind

• Desert Rose
  • I need you to elevate me here
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2009, 10:11:51 PM »

Cheers,

J

My friend Glenn will be at that show, and he is originally from the Philippines, so say hi to him if you run into him ;)

They have done snippets of Mofo during COBL at 6 N.A. shows, so there is always that chance that you will still get to hear something from Pop live.  ;D

In all honesty, even if they do "the worst" and play 2-3 songs you don't like, you still will get 20 of the 23 songs that you do like.  Relax, enjoy the show, and have fun in my old stomping grounds (I grew up about 15 min. from Pasadena).

Offline beau99

• Stateless
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2009, 02:30:28 AM »
Feh...

They could completely botch everything they play horribly, but I'd still enjoy it.

U2's worst shows are miles better than most bands' best shows, except for maybe Springsteen and DMB.

Offline suppers ready

• Stateless
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2009, 06:21:05 AM »

Cheers,

J

Ah so much explained.  You are the infamous J.  Yes they've added stuff with only a few shows to go:
NJ2 elevation: Wild Honey
Seattle Popmart: Full band version of Stand By Me (which was a first, AFAIK).

J, I don't know why you bother.  I can be as critical as anyone, but I've never seen anyone b**** about pointless crap as much as you.  Seriously, you actually said Adam is playing like Flea?  Really?  Do you actually think Adam is capable of anything approaching Flea?  For that matter, even if he was changing things, up have you ever considered that John Entwistle, of the who, influenced Adam? 

It doesn't matter, if U2 plays exactly like the record, you'll complain that they phoned it in  and if they change things up, you'll complain about that.

I'm not a big fan of the song Lemon, but if they played it, I'd be happy to hear it.  Maybe I'd like the way they performed it (which would certainly be different from Zooropa, if for no other reason than Bono's voice is 16 years beyond that falsetto).

All I can say is that I will enjoy the shows.  The sets may change slightly, but when the productions are as huge as this one is, it's hard to make any quick changes.  But if they did, I wouldn't care.  With the exception of Chicago one, which seemed to go off a cliff halfway through (no idea why), the shows have been fine (though Tampa was way too hot).
A friend who's been there for every tour since 87 believes this may be their best show ever.  I'm not sure if it is or not, but it's probably the best stadium show.

Enjoy the show but I hope to never run into you.....you're forever a Debbie Downer.

Offline markreed

• Numb
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2009, 07:06:00 AM »
it's possible that they will add songs, but not necessarily likely. What is more likely is that they will rotate out a few songs as they always seem to so far. With 1-nighters they normally only change the middle few (Elevation/Myst Ways/acoustic numbers/UTEOTW/Unknown Caller) and occasionally throw "Bad" in.

Worry not. They have been adding songs very late in tours previously : "Fast Cars", "Window In the Skies", "Lemon", "Dirty Day", etc have all debuted with only a handful of shows left to go on past tours.

Offline Yukona [The League of Extraordinary Bonopeople]

• Staring at the Sun
  • too much is not enough
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2009, 08:04:28 AM »

Cheers,

J

Well at the last Vertigo tour gig in Hawaii they shook it up...brought Green Day and Pearl Jam on stage, played The Saints Are Coming and Rockin' In The Free World. So you might have to watch out for that, especially since you don't like them playing three chord covers.

Offline suppers ready

• Stateless
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2009, 12:34:00 PM »
They're filming the show, so I fully expect them to play the same set they've been playing since Atlanta.  The only variables are will they play Your Blue Room or In A Little While.  I suppose they could bring back Pride, but unless they're just adding more songs to the set, I can live without it.  I haven't heard it since Chicago, and it hasn't been missed.

I'm actually a bit bummed that they're filming....they're always a little too stiff when they're filming......regardless, I hope they don't use the ADD producer they've used since elevation.  3 Videos and only Slane is watchable.

Offline Gravy11

• Running to Stand Still
  • On borderland we run and don't look back!
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2009, 12:37:59 PM »
You have 4 best bets but serious longshots....

1) Mofo
2) Drowning Man (Juls & I talked DM way back in June!)
3) October
4) White as Snow

All have been rehearsed at some point during this tour...

Enjoy the Final 4!

Offline muthangya

• Wanderer
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2009, 12:38:59 PM »
Seriously, why are you guys contributing to Js remarks?  He's obviously just trolling here, probably not going to any shows, probably not from the Philippines...not really sure what else he's said, but most or all of it is probably not true.

Can he be banned or blocked?

Offline Northern Soul

• Desert Rose
  • I'm not coming down...
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2009, 12:40:58 PM »
I hope they play the Pop album in its entirety for you.

Cheers,

NS

Offline jick

• Precious Stone
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2009, 12:48:21 PM »
I guess we will have a POP-free setlist in Rosebowl.  Bono can snippet POP all he wants in the show, as long as its not a full song wasted then we're looking good.

I guess the announcement about Rosebowl answers the question. It indeed is too late for U2 to add new songs to their set.  Not even the longshots will make an appearance as this tour wraps up.

Cheers,

J

Offline Joe G (Love You Like Mad Magazine)

• Precious Stone
  • 2 souls 2 cool 2 B in the realm of certainty
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2009, 12:53:24 PM »
Seriously, why are you guys contributing to Js remarks?  He's obviously just trolling here, probably not going to any shows, probably not from the Philippines...not really sure what else he's said, but most or all of it is probably not true.

Can he be banned or blocked?

Why? Not that I'm agreeing with anything he has said on this particular thread (or several others), but "probably" or even certainly if all those things you said are true, it sure isn't grounds to ban anyone. As far as blocking him, that's your choice. If I don't want to give attention to anyone, I don't respond to their posts.

Offline beau99

• Stateless
« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2009, 01:21:33 PM »
They're filming the show, so I fully expect them to play the same set they've been playing since Atlanta.  The only variables are will they play Your Blue Room or In A Little While.  I suppose they could bring back Pride, but unless they're just adding more songs to the set, I can live without it.  I haven't heard it since Chicago, and it hasn't been missed.

I'm actually a bit bummed that they're filming....they're always a little too stiff when they're filming......regardless, I hope they don't use the ADD producer they've used since elevation.  3 Videos and only Slane is watchable.
1. Hamish Hamilton is a great director.

2. They're not using him.