Author Topic: Norman - was that a sell out?  (Read 1498 times)

Offline tdot1a

• Stateless
Norman - was that a sell out?
« on: October 20, 2009, 02:26:16 PM »
What was the official Live Nation word on Norman Oklahoma - because if they are calling that one a sell out the photos would suggest otherwise.  Wide shots on flickr show the entire upper deck was empty - or not sold?  Anyone who was there care to chime in.....

Offline JasontheJedi

• Running to Stand Still
Re: Norman - was that a sell out?
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2009, 02:44:16 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
What was the official Live Nation word on Norman Oklahoma - because if they are calling that one a sell out the photos would suggest otherwise.  Wide shots on flickr show the entire upper deck was empty - or not sold?  Anyone who was there care to chime in.....

Well, they covered the entire upper deck with some type of tarp on both sides of the field. Not sure if they didn't sell those intentionally in the beginning or if they upgraded people that bought those seats as the concert got closer due to poor ticket sales. The seats that were open at the concert made it look like it was near "capacity". There were a few empty seats in one corner (behind the stage), but otherwise full. There was still close to 60K people, so that's still really good for Norman, OK.

Offline Belisama

• Original of the Species
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2009, 03:59:08 PM »

Well, they covered the entire upper deck with some type of tarp on both sides of the field. Not sure if they didn't sell those intentionally in the beginning or if they upgraded people that bought those seats as the concert got closer due to poor ticket sales. The seats that were open at the concert made it look like it was near "capacity". There were a few empty seats in one corner (behind the stage), but otherwise full. There was still close to 60K people, so that's still really good for Norman, OK.

I was in GA and chatted withone of the UO coaches diruing the show. He told me that the upper decks were intentionally not sold for "security" but did not elaborate. He may have been pulling my leg. The one section that was emplty looked to be an obstructed view. I admidt that the GA section was not as packed as I have seen at other shows. We had plenty of room to move aorund.

Offline Falling At Your Feet

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2009, 04:42:50 PM »
I was interested in how the U.S. were selling, and last week I checked, and tickets were available for all remaining gigs.

I suppose this could be some late tickets becoming available, but generally speaking, it has been easy to get tickets for all the U.S. gigs.

This is,I think the reason why there has been much more gigs in Europe - the demand is much stronger. It will be interesting to see how many U.S. gigs are announced for the 3rd leg apparently between May and July 2010.

Offline nolinehere

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2009, 05:01:09 PM »
One of the reasons there ar sometimes tix available late in the game is that the venue releases more tickets when they know the stage configuration a bit better.

The Rose Bowl has been sold out for weeks, if you checked recently it was because some additional tickets were made available, there are none available right now, and there may end up being as many, if not more people in the Rose Bowl than any show so far.

Anyone going, check the site

Offline Falling At Your Feet

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2009, 05:11:40 PM »
Barcelona had an estimated 90,000 on both nights there, (well it is the largest stadium in Europe)but it looks like the Rosebowl will surpass this by a few thousand.

hurricane hugo

« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2009, 05:12:24 PM »

60K was the widely reported number.

#@!

Offline macphisto96

• Stateless
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2009, 06:28:07 PM »
A friend that is an OU alum and donor said that the contract called for the upper deck to be covered.  There was an option to uncover it but it would have added to the cost in such a way that it wouldn't have made sense to pay it unless they sold out the stadium (that'd be around 85,000 with a GA floor).  Considering the show in Dallas less than a week before and the fact that U2 had to decide a couple months ago if they wanted to have the upper decks open it was pretty much a sure thing that the upper decks would be covered.

They sold most all of the available tickets for the show.  Oklahoma officials were happy with the turnout.  They don't put concerts in there very often.

Offline highway190

• Refugee
  • Not telling you where the J Tree is.
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2009, 08:07:54 PM »
BOOMER SOONER!

(kidding, I'm doing that sarcastically)

Offline seyeryej

• Babyface
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2009, 12:02:18 PM »
They did the right thing in having a diagonal strip of a section be empty so that nobody would be forced to sit in an area that had an obstructed view of the column.  Especially if they paid $95 or more.

The inner circle was not full on Adam's side, I would've like it to be a bit fuller.  However some people complained that people were getting fiesty over there on Edge's side.

Offline U2NUMB

• Babyface
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2009, 01:08:25 PM »
I was at the show...  it was mostly sold out but even in the lower bowl there were 3 sections that had a number of totally empty rows at the back of the section. 3 or 4 sections in a row.   Outside of that it was packed...   

Offline markreed

• Numb
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2009, 01:30:49 PM »
Barca capacity was something like 94,000 - never seen so many people in such a beautiful stadium in my life.