Author Topic: Your Blue Room  (Read 2211 times)

Offline jackofhearts

• Party Girl/Boy
Your Blue Room
« on: October 21, 2009, 06:30:31 AM »
What happened to it?  A highlight of the show for me.  It's dissappeared and been replaced by the kind of boring UnKnown Caller.

Offline Achtung_Habs

• Party Girl/Boy
  • In the name of Love
Re: Your Blue Room
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2009, 07:47:35 AM »
Unknown Caller, to me at least, is a much, much better live song than YBR.  Don't get me wrong, i love listening to YBR, but seeing it live in Toronto was really not a highlight for me.  It killed all the crowd momentum.

Offline luckado

• Wanderer
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2009, 08:37:35 AM »
I don't understand the logic behind those that say YBR "kills crowd momentum."  Yes, YBR is a slow song, but it's just as beautiful and captivating as other slow U2 songs live.  They don't need to play 23 fast songs to have "crowd momentum."  They played YBR instead of Unknown Caller in Charlottesville, and I don't feel like I missed anything, and I don't feel like the crowd was any less "into it" as they were before that song.

Offline jackofhearts

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2009, 09:08:31 AM »
I think it's U2 challenging their audience with YBR which what a lot of people on this forum seem to want from U2.  I find YBR more challenging and interesting that Unknown Caller.  It's also a very beautiful song. 

Offline superstar905

• Stateless
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2009, 03:02:34 PM »
I like YBR, but I agree that it kills the show momentum not because the song is not good, but because no one knew it, and most just sat down or went for a break at the bar!

InThisHeartland

« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2009, 03:39:03 PM »
at chi2 i got both!  :D :D

Offline SirGazzatron

• Wanderer
  • It's time to go again, to your blue room.
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2009, 04:38:38 AM »
I think Your Blue Room just isn't right for the tour.
Understand where I speak from here too- I love Original Soundtracks 1 just as much as I do any U2 album but YBR just doesn't sit well enough. Maybe it would have fit better in an Elevation Tour environment? Hmm maybe not. I dunno.

They did Miss Sarajevo for Vertigo and I think that was enough. YBR has been done now I guess and overall it's great they tried it out and brought it to us live. It's job is done and maybe it's best not included again in any future shows.

That's my standing on it anyway... but at the end of the day I'd go nuts if I heard it live!

Offline silvrlvr

• Headache in a Suitcase
  • Three things I need you to know -- three!
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2009, 10:06:53 AM »
I enjoyed seeing YBR in Chicago and Toronto, but I think the band handled its debut wrong. Nobody beyond these boards knew what the song was -- even diehard U2 fans that I sat with had no idea what they were hearing, and the audience at large was completely mystified.

Bono could have said something like, "This is a very special song to us, you're hearing it for the first time ever on tour, and we worked very hard with NASA to bring about this presentation. Give it a listen..." etc. And then emphasized that every time it was played. Also, for those who knew what the song was, to leave out Adam's spoken part was a mistake. No reason Bono couldn't have walked over and handed him the mic.

Offline beau99

• Stateless
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2009, 10:08:58 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Also, for those who knew what the song was, to leave out Adam's spoken part was a mistake. No reason Bono couldn't have walked over and handed him the mic.
Regarding this, it's quite possible he didn't want to do it.

Offline rattle and hum

• Stateless
  • Playing with the fire till the fire played with me
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2009, 10:39:05 AM »

I was there as well, heartland. My first show!

YBR and unknown caller were both incredible. they didn't kill "crowd momentum" at all. They captivated the audience with their beauty. During those songs it felt like U2 had the crowd in the palm of their hand. awesome show!!!

Offline jackofhearts

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2009, 12:53:51 PM »
This is what I don't get.  Lots of people on this forum say U2 are playing it safe on this tour, and then when they play YBR, there's complaints that no one knows the song and it kills the momentum. 

Offline silvrlvr

• Headache in a Suitcase
  • Three things I need you to know -- three!
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2009, 04:48:47 PM »
Also, for those who knew what the song was, to leave out Adam's spoken part was a mistake. No reason Bono couldn't have walked over and handed him the mic.
Regarding this, it's quite possible he didn't want to do it.

Yes, he might not have.

And I'm not complaining that they played it -- I'm always happy to hear something different. But it's true most people in those two stadiums did not know what it was.

shockdocta22

« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2009, 06:18:53 PM »
I think Your Blue room doesnt work as well with the atmosphere in U2360 than unknown caller, but why not just make the concerts a song or two longer?

Offline beau99

• Stateless
« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2009, 06:33:27 PM »

I was there as well, heartland. My first show!

YBR and unknown caller were both incredible. they didn't kill "crowd momentum" at all. They captivated the audience with their beauty. During those songs it felt like U2 had the crowd in the palm of their hand. awesome show!!!
You shoulda seen the Phoenix crowd.

People were more active during the Black Eyed Peas' set then they were for U2. Most people there wanted to hear the old warhorses and nothing else. At my best guess, I'd say a few hundred people left early because they were bored.

Also, I was the only person in my area singing UC, and I didn't even like the song before... astonishing. U2 was excellent. The crowd though, was lethargic, and that's putting it mildly.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2009, 06:37:05 PM by beau99 »

Offline EdgeUK8_my_mind

• Desert Rose
  • I need you to elevate me here
« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2009, 07:27:21 AM »
I don't understand the logic behind those that say YBR "kills crowd momentum."  Yes, YBR is a slow song, but it's just as beautiful and captivating as other slow U2 songs live.  They don't need to play 23 fast songs to have "crowd momentum."  They played YBR instead of Unknown Caller in Charlottesville, and I don't feel like I missed anything, and I don't feel like the crowd was any less "into it" as they were before that song.
I respectfully disagree on this.  At Charlottesville, the followed Elevation (easily the most energetic song) with YBR (easily the least energetic), which made no sense to me.  Yes it is a beautiful song, but they could place it between something reflective like ISHFWILF and then build into an up tempo number or 2.