Author Topic: Unknown Caller (live)  (Read 1236 times)

Offline TheFlyMacphisto

• Headache in a Suitcase
Unknown Caller (live)
« on: October 24, 2009, 03:08:08 PM »
Just a quick note on Unknown Caller live:

I saw the show Monday in Phoenix. A great show, but one of the most amazing parts to me was Unknown Caller. I have always been luke warm about the song on the album (sometimes digging it & sometimes passing it over several album listens in a row), but I must say seeing it live is a whole different experience.  I haven't been able to get the song out of my head since then, and Bono singing the oh oh oh's over and over with the crowd was a thrill. Talk about it being stuck in my head!

Clearly the man loves this song and continues to push for it. If they decide to make this a single it would be wise to capture people singing the chorus just like they are doing on the tour now.

What are peoples thoughts after seeing it live in person or on youtube?

Offline Joe G (Love You Like Mad Magazine)

• Precious Stone
  • 2 souls 2 cool 2 B in the realm of certainty
Re: Unknown Caller (live)
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2009, 03:23:14 PM »
I was telling someone else on the Forum that this is the one new song I'm looking forward to most of all at the Rose Bowl show.  I'm pretty sure I'll be jazzed about NLOTH, Magnificent, Breathe, MOS, and Boots, but this is the one that intrigues me. I still think its the song that polarizes most people about the album one way or the other. It's a brilliant piece of work.

Offline beau99

• Stateless
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2009, 04:20:45 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Just a quick note on Unknown Caller live:

I saw the show Monday in Phoenix. A great show, but one of the most amazing parts to me was Unknown Caller. I have always been luke warm about the song on the album (sometimes digging it & sometimes passing it over several album listens in a row), but I must say seeing it live is a whole different experience.  I haven't been able to get the song out of my head since then, and Bono singing the oh oh oh's over and over with the crowd was a thrill. Talk about it being stuck in my head!

Clearly the man loves this song and continues to push for it. If they decide to make this a single it would be wise to capture people singing the chorus just like they are doing on the tour now.

What are peoples thoughts after seeing it live in person or on youtube?
Same as you... though before I heard it live in Phoenix, I absolutely hated it.

Offline U2-obsessed and proud

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • Let The Rain come down, make a brand new ground
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2009, 11:18:09 PM »
I loved the song before I saw it live at Boston 1, and if its possible, I loved it even more live.  It is a REVELATION live, absoultely amazing

Offline mbeano

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2009, 12:05:40 AM »
I am with U2-obsessed and proud.  The album version was not only my favorite off of NLOTH but quickly became one of my all time favorite songs, ever.

Yet somehow, it is WAY BETTER LIVE!
I KNEW it would be a killer live song, it just has everything that would make a great U2 live song - great chanting choral parts, reach for the sky soaring crescendos, a killer Edge solo, that takes the song to another level, and even atmospheric quiet meditative moments at the beginning and end... EVERYTHING!

LIVE it capitalizes on every single one of these elements.  The Karaoke screen really helped, but EVERYONE REALLY got into singing along with this one.

Offline TheFlyMacphisto

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2009, 06:36:46 PM »
I agree with all of you, though I think I might be apart from you in that I actually didn't really like in on the album. It was always a cross street from Magnificent and I'll Go Crazy, so to speak. Even now, the album version doesn't really capture it (for me at least).

Live though, pure joy!

I hope they keep pushing it.