Author Topic: Come on! Odds of there really being any Ascent?  (Read 2753 times)

Offline Alton Dalton

• Babyface
  • Off with the horns, on with the show.
Come on! Odds of there really being any Ascent?
« on: October 25, 2009, 12:02:03 AM »
I for one want the Songs of Ascent album to come out as much as anyone--the crazy idea of modern spiritual hymns is something only U2 could do at this point in music.  The public majority would hate it and find it boring, but I think most die hard U2 fans and credible music fans would find it daring, beautiful and groundbreaking. 

Now I'm not trying to be a downer...BUT does anyone REALLY think the album is going to happen?  For every album this decade Bono has come out right after an album release or a world tour and proclaimed that U2 will have a new album "within the next year."  There are always 50-60 left over songs from each album with at least 10 or so each time being the "greatest songs we've ever recorded that will comprise our next album" that we end up never hearing.  Hell, I'm still waiting for the polished versions of the Achtung Baby outtakes. 

I don't fault U2--they're musicians, they are creative.  Like any artists, they are always coming up with new things...and by the time they get into the studio again, they will want to spend their time on their latest ideas--not things they did 1, 2, 3, or 10 years ago.  I mean, really, how many "hold overs" have ever made it all the way on to the next release?  I'm sure there are a few, but it seems like the most talked about ones never do.  So as much as I hate to say it, the Rick Rubin sessions, the Morocco sessions (save some birds chirping at the start of unknown caller), probably Songs of Ascent, and maybe even the Spiderman musical will have to wait until 2034's Twenty-fifth limited edition box-set special of No Line.

If I sound bitter, its nothing against U2--my favorite band.  Just trying not to get my hopes up and thus be disappointed again when I never hear it.  Because it sounds really cool and unique.  And perhaps even more disappointed that they didn't choose to go one of those directions these past couple years when they were actually most open to it.  I'm sure lots of you disagree...but anyone agree???

Offline Aqua

• Acrobat
  • adam for trlica 8^)
Re: Come on! Odds of there really being any Ascent?
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2009, 02:39:23 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I for one want the Songs of Ascent album to come out as much as anyone--the crazy idea of modern spiritual hymns is something only U2 could do at this point in music.  The public majority would hate it and find it boring, but I think most die hard U2 fans and credible music fans would find it daring, beautiful and groundbreaking. 

Now I'm not trying to be a downer...BUT does anyone REALLY think the album is going to happen?  For every album this decade Bono has come out right after an album release or a world tour and proclaimed that U2 will have a new album "within the next year."  There are always 50-60 left over songs from each album with at least 10 or so each time being the "greatest songs we've ever recorded that will comprise our next album" that we end up never hearing.  Hell, I'm still waiting for the polished versions of the Achtung Baby outtakes. 

I don't fault U2--they're musicians, they are creative.  Like any artists, they are always coming up with new things...and by the time they get into the studio again, they will want to spend their time on their latest ideas--not things they did 1, 2, 3, or 10 years ago.  I mean, really, how many "hold overs" have ever made it all the way on to the next release?  I'm sure there are a few, but it seems like the most talked about ones never do.  So as much as I hate to say it, the Rick Rubin sessions, the Morocco sessions (save some birds chirping at the start of unknown caller), probably Songs of Ascent, and maybe even the Spiderman musical will have to wait until 2034's Twenty-fifth limited edition box-set special of No Line.

If I sound bitter, its nothing against U2--my favorite band.  Just trying not to get my hopes up and thus be disappointed again when I never hear it.  Because it sounds really cool and unique.  And perhaps even more disappointed that they didn't choose to go one of those directions these past couple years when they were actually most open to it.  I'm sure lots of you disagree...but anyone agree???

I see your point, but there has been enough information on SOA to deduce that there WILL be an SOA, especially within the next two years. There has simply been too much talk of it, even talk of when they will record it. I DO think that there will be an SOA (even though there is reason to doubt).

Offline The Unknown Caller

• Holy Joe
  • TORIIIIIINOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2009, 04:53:12 AM »
While it may not end up being what Bono says it is, I see this happening at this point. Several reasons- firstly, not JUST Bono has talked about it, the others all have as well. Plus it's being constantly mentioned, not just occasionally floated as an idea, and we've been given a name, which is new, and even a lead single!

shockdocta22

« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2009, 08:21:47 AM »
I agree with TUC here, and to add to that, i remember on @U2s page,  i forget who, but someone said at a concert, that SOA still might be released in 2009, i expect it to barely, just barely, by like a day, make the holiday season

Offline JasontheJedi

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2009, 10:03:20 AM »
I want it to happen as much as everyone else, but I agree with the original poster. I'm not believing anything until it's in my hands.

Offline Aiden

• Refugee
  • Pop muzik
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2009, 10:34:36 AM »
There probably IS an album in the works, but whether or not it will be released soon remains to be seen. I'm personally banking on later rather than sooner.

Offline THRILLHO

• Holy Joe
  • The sun won't melt our wings tonight
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2009, 12:46:36 PM »

THIS is exactly what i've been saying since i first heard Bono ramble about SoA. YES, he is horrible about proclaiming there will be a new album next year blah blah blah blah. With that being said, i do find it curious that he's picked a name for it, but in no way do i actually believe it will happen, because it won't. Simple as that. Hope i'm wrong but i doubt it.

Offline theocean

• Genius of Compression
  • The songs are in your eyes
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2009, 04:39:17 PM »
I agree with TUC here, and to add to that, i remember on @U2s page,  i forget who, but someone said at a concert, that SOA still might be released in 2009, i expect it to barely, just barely, by like a day, make the holiday season

That would be a great Christmas Present to me, a new release around the holidays!

Offline boom boom

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2009, 06:02:43 PM »
I also can't wait for Songs of Ascent but I think U2 will shelve the project because in recent interview the band were disappointed in the sales of NLOTH and probably will not take a chance of have 2 low selling albums in a row.  I don't think SOA will sell more than NLOTH if it is  going to be a more meditative and journey type album.  And if they are concerned will sales they might wait until the tour is over in 2010 and then start a new project which most likely will be the Rick Rubin sessions as these were the more traditional songs with the singalongs and the catchy melodies and more radio friendly stuff.  I guess we have to wait and see.  I just hope that if they want to go with SOA they release it as they intended it to be and not re-work and re-mix the songs so it will be more poppy and radio friendly.  That is my only concern.

Offline TheFly

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2009, 08:47:01 AM »
I have to agree with SJGrantski. When i first started hearing about the record i didn't think it was going to happen. Maybe a couple of the songs might end getting released on another Best Of or something and one released as a single, but an entire album? No.

Every time a new U2 record is due we end up getting it months and months later than we were supposed to.

Offline THRILLHO

• Holy Joe
  • The sun won't melt our wings tonight
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2009, 01:47:24 PM »
I have to agree with SJGrantski. When i first started hearing about the record i didn't think it was going to happen. Maybe a couple of the songs might end getting released on another Best Of or something and one released as a single, but an entire album? No.

Every time a new U2 record is due we end up getting it months and months later than we were supposed to.

or years.....

Offline rattleandhum24

• Up With the Sun
  • All messed up, with opera in my head.
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2009, 06:35:25 PM »
I mean, I think there's a lot of evidence out there that they want this to happen.  I definitely do not believe it will happen in the time frame they have called for in previous interviews, but they sound like they've got a little more conviction about this then they have with past "would-be" albums.  But then again, if you look at Zooropa, that was written between legs of the Zoo TV tour and that wasn't as big a success as they wanted.  Let's just say, after 33 years together, they still haven't found what they're looking for, and we will keep waiting for it.

Offline Bundang Dave

• Staring at the Sun
  • It's not what I want; it's what I need.
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2009, 07:54:48 AM »
Well, they do have studio time booked for November (or is it December?) in Vancouver. Maybe after those sessions we'll have a better idea of how much (if any) progress has been made. I think the plan is just to "finish" off the tracks they already have . . . but of course that could take a long time if they start reworking them.

Offline lu galasso

• Babyface
  • i am lu galasso.
« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2009, 02:13:04 PM »
Ugh...I haven't been this excited about a U2 album in a long time. The thought that it may not happen is excruciating!

Offline Joe G (Love You Like Mad Magazine)

• Precious Stone
  • 2 souls 2 cool 2 B in the realm of certainty
« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2009, 05:00:36 PM »
Yet another of many "tingle moments" from the Rose Bowl concert was hearing the snippet of "Kingdom of Your Love".  I immediately thought "U2 has been listening to really good Flaming Lips".  THe fact that they are playing this song leads me to believe we will see SOA before the next leg of the tour.