Author Topic: Come on! Odds of there really being any Ascent?  (Read 2776 times)

Offline Gravy11

• Running to Stand Still
  • On borderland we run and don't look back!
Re: Come on! Odds of there really being any Ascent?
« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2009, 05:47:24 AM »
I think SOA will definitely happen based on the buzz and articles about it. Add in the fact that they have virtually released a song already in "Kingdom" and it'll happen. I'm thinking they'll wait until April/May. I'll bet though, they want to ride the wave of a different time of year to release.  The release date of NLOTH seemed to have hurt the sales.  How much I don't know but I've read articles stating that it hurt.

Offline Johnny Amsterdam

• Desert Rose
« Reply #16 on: October 28, 2009, 05:50:46 AM »
I actually don't believe Bono's talking and promises about how a new U2 album will sound like any more. It's always the same promises and not delivering. Songs of ascent will be a meditative records? Why don't I believe it anymore and deep in my gut I know were going to get something different and not in a good way. Something lame.

Offline simba8

• Babyface
« Reply #17 on: October 28, 2009, 04:44:08 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I also can't wait for Songs of Ascent but I think U2 will shelve the project because in recent interview the band were disappointed in the sales of NLOTH and probably will not take a chance of have 2 low selling albums in a row.  I don't think SOA will sell more than NLOTH if it is  going to be a more meditative and journey type album.  And if they are concerned will sales they might wait until the tour is over in 2010 and then start a new project which most likely will be the Rick Rubin sessions as these were the more traditional songs with the singalongs and the catchy melodies and more radio friendly stuff.  I guess we have to wait and see.  I just hope that if they want to go with SOA they release it as they intended it to be and not re-work and re-mix the songs so it will be more poppy and radio friendly.  That is my only concern.

Agreed. I think SOA is DOA since the reaction to NLOH has been weak that they know that they cant pull off another weak album.
BUT..
Since they are also touring next year, I find it hard to see how they wont release any new material between now and when the tour kicks off. IF they rush a new release it could suck.  If they dont release something, it will be atleast 2 years after the tour finishes before they release something new again.

InThisHeartland

« Reply #18 on: October 28, 2009, 04:46:30 PM »
IF they rush a new release it could suck. 

i really dont think it will, look at zooropa, that one is u2 at the most interesting, weird and awesome!

Offline Darth Tytis

• Wanderer
  • "No Spoken Words, Just a SCREAM AH OH.....!"
« Reply #19 on: October 29, 2009, 12:18:17 AM »
I think one of the reasons why NLOTH isn't selling like hotcakes is because U2 did what U2 usually does when recording an album, they spend way too much time on each song.

They should go back to the way they recorded UF when they didn't spend 10 years recording each song. I'm not saying they should record a new song every day but sometimes you just have to go with your gut reaction on the spot and just roll with a song and let us decide if a song is good or not.

I personally LOVED NLOTH but the one problem I have with it is that it doesn't flow that well. It feels like 11 songs recorded over a 2 year period which is pretty much true. I rank it just behind TJT and AB and kind of tied with TUF so its definitely not a bad album at all.

I think that they should release SOA but after that I think that they should go away and "dream it all up again" (or one last time) and come back with an album that is unique. Something that's different. Lord knows their good at that. I mean look at it this way:

TUF was a BIG step in a new direction after War and then Achtung Baby was another big step in a new direction after Rattle and Hum. I think NLOTH was a step in a new direction but not completely. More like a baby step. Thats why this album hasn't garnered as much love. (yet) It was new but it wasn't different or challenging and thats what has made U2 great over the years. Every 3 albums or so they throw you a curveball. NLOTH feels more like a curveball in the dirt.

TUF, AB and even Pop are the three U2 albums that stand out to me as game-changers if I may. This is the best way I can put it: Put down the brush and the palette boys cause you are not going to create another JT, but you could create something much better, just put down the brush and palette and pick up the whole bucket of paint. I think you guys know what to do with it from here.

Offline coolz481

• Refugee
« Reply #20 on: October 29, 2009, 03:52:00 AM »
BUT..
Since they are also touring next year, I find it hard to see how they wont release any new material between now and when the tour kicks off. IF they rush a new release it could suck.  If they dont release something, it will be atleast 2 years after the tour finishes before they release something new again.
[/quote]

This.  I can't believe they'd take an 8-month break from touring, then go back on the road without something new.  Maybe the Songs of Ascent material doesn't have to take the form of an album released on physical media - how about a downloadable EP with some additional content for blackberry subscribers or something?  If next summer's tour is just a set list repeat with the addition of Disappearing Act, I'll be supremely disappointed.

Offline U2alwaysforever

• Staring at the Sun
  • "And you can dream, so dream out loud."
« Reply #21 on: October 29, 2009, 11:05:23 AM »
BUT..

This.  I can't believe they'd take an 8-month break from touring, then go back on the road without something new.  Maybe the Songs of Ascent material doesn't have to take the form of an album released on physical media - how about a downloadable EP with some additional content for blackberry subscribers or something?  If next summer's tour is just a set list repeat with the addition of Disappearing Act, I'll be supremely disappointed.
[/quote]

Agreed! have they ever taken a touring break this long before? I think we can be real hopeful for songs of ascent.

Hawkmoon2e

« Reply #22 on: October 29, 2009, 11:09:27 AM »

Maybe just hype?

Offline U2alwaysforever

• Staring at the Sun
  • "And you can dream, so dream out loud."
« Reply #23 on: October 29, 2009, 12:38:33 PM »
WHOAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! COOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline aurabender

• Numb
  • dressed up like a car crash
« Reply #24 on: October 29, 2009, 05:17:18 PM »
the crazy idea of modern spiritual hymns is something only U2 could do at this point in music. 
You are in luck, they have done it! It is out now and it is called "No Line On The Horizon".  That is Bono's description for the album in Rolling Stone Issue 690. IS Is also the way Danial Lanois has described the album in two separate interviews. In fact, "White as Snow" is a traditional hymn. It is "O come, O come Emmanual" which is why there is a "traditional" in the writing credits for the song.

The descriptions I have heard Boo use for SOA is "Reggae" and an album of "beautiful love songs" that he has said "You want to take your shoes off and listen too." I truly hope that is comes out soon and is brilliant, so we can move on. Larry and Bono have both said they want to get back to the Rick Rubin Sessions and that the "Spider-Man" music is the most complete of their three projects. I'd like to see them combine the latter two into something and release it.

Boom Cha!

« Reply #25 on: October 31, 2009, 05:25:57 PM »
I hope it's real and I hope it comes out in the spring.

Offline Joe G (Love You Like Mad Magazine)

• Precious Stone
  • 2 souls 2 cool 2 B in the realm of certainty
« Reply #26 on: October 31, 2009, 05:28:21 PM »

For some reason I think it will come out in March.

shockdocta22

« Reply #27 on: October 31, 2009, 05:48:50 PM »

For some reason I think it will come out in March.

March 3rd perhaps ::)

actually i would prefer it came out over the winter so its out during the holiday season