Author Topic: 360 Tour - 2010...How will the setlist change?  (Read 5984 times)

Offline Gravy11

• Running to Stand Still
  • On borderland we run and don't look back!
360 Tour - 2010...How will the setlist change?
« on: October 27, 2009, 06:51:16 AM »
You knew this thread was inevitable. So they're coming back in 2010. We knew it was coming.  I saw them twice in Giants Stadium and will go on July 19th.  The question is...what will I see? You have to think that there will be major setlist changes. U2 knows that a majority of the concert goers will be repeaters. With that said...What will be new? Granted it won't be a complete overhaul.  We'll still hear "Streets", "One", "Vertigo", "Beautiful Day", etc. Off of "NLOTH", we may add "White as Snow", "Being Born" or "SUC". I think they'll shelve "Unknown Caller" (unfortunately) and "Breathe". Some songs like "Bullet" and "Running to Stand Still" may come back. I think we will definitely hear something off of Pop, "Mofo". Something off of Zooropa would really fit. Maybe "Zooropa" to be honest.  That song would fit real well with the theme of 360. I think something from "October" will come out. Something obscure..."Drowning Man" will find its way in. There will be the typical surprise song (Your Blue Room type surprise). They will want to push the "TUF" new release as well as "SOA" so I would bet my first born that we hear "ASOH". Easy kids...I think this will show up a few times and not be a staple. It is such a high pitched song that Bono would have en embolism each night.  I still think the reason "Pride" took a seat, was Bono's voice. So, after that Stream of Consiousness....What is everyone thinking? Not, what does everyone want, because that would result in, "Acrobat" mentioned 549 times. Seriously, I think the tone will be calmed down a bit and the songs will reflect that. Thoughts???

Offline u290sbaby

• Stateless
Re: 360 Tour - 2010...How will the setlist change?
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2009, 10:39:01 AM »
I think Breath is great as an opener with Larry drumming at the start first. However, I think the show will benefit from a shake up on the opening song come 2010.

I'm thinking they should open with "Fez Being Born". They could rework or extend the intro with Bono shouting when the song kicks in. If they don't use this as the opener than I could see them working in "Stand Up Comedy" instead.

Offline kristbg

• Headache in a Suitcase
  • Head first, then foot, then heart sets sail
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2009, 10:56:09 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
What is everyone thinking? Not, what does everyone want, because that would result in, "Acrobat" mentioned 549 times.

Well said  ;D Not to mention "Mercy".

I don't think there will be any major changes, not in the old songs at least. My bet is they'll drop three (maybe four) songs from NLOTH (From the top of my head: NLOTH, Unknown Caller and Breathe), replacing them with new cuts from SOA. As the tour progresses (and the band learns how to play the fookin' things live) we may get more changes.

Offline The Unknown Caller

• Holy Joe
  • TORIIIIIINOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2009, 11:11:17 AM »
I expect... very, very few changes, to be honest. A LOT of places are deliberately locales- even countries- they didn't play this year, and they won't have a radically different concert experience. Think PopMart- other than the Edge Karaoke slot and Miami, VERY few real changes from the pattern established quite early on. Likewise from start to end, ZooTV had the Zoo Station / The Fly / MW etc combo.

In another tour, I'd have picked TUF and UV as certain to be dropped, but they've put too much effort into them, so I doubt it. I think we'll see Unknown Caller fade out, unfortunately, and probably another song or two from NLOTH- the only ones I'd say will DEFINITELY stay are Go Crazy, Boots and Magnificent. MoS is pretty safe too. I could see COBL potentially being taken out, likewise one of the 'big' songs- maybe ISHFWILF? Trouble is, most of the 'big' songs they haven't played on this tour- The Fly, Bullet, RTSS, I Will Follow- were regulars last time round, so it's easy to see them continuing to take a break- but they're still probably the most likely candidates for reappearances.  Maybe All I Want is You making a return? I could also easily see them bring in SYCMIOYO if they want more 2000s stuff.

IDEALLY, I'd like an overhaul- I'd love to see a few 'Pop' songs in there, Bad making more regular appearances, dropping MW and ISHF, a resurrection of Even Better Than The Real Thing, (A regular every night for two tours but it's barely appeared since!) RTSS, Bullet.... but I see only some minor tweaks and rotated songs, and about 16-17 songs staying constant, minimum. Understandable, due to the limitationsof a stadium tour! Of course, if SOA comes out... that could change a lot, and mean there's virtually no chance of a return of any other old song that hasn't been played so far!

Offline MelicansMatkin

• Headache in a Suitcase
  • Matkin from U2Gigs
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2009, 12:02:51 PM »
Depends on whether Songs of Ascent comes out beforehand or not. If it does, I expect to see something like ZooTV, where some songs from NLOTH get dropped. I don't expect to see "Unknown Caller" more than two or three times in 2010. I also get the unsettling feeling that we may lose "The Unforgettable Fire", "MLK", and maybe even "Ultraviolet". Depending on what songs are on SoA, "Moment of Surrender" could get the boot as closer too. I will be very surprised if they don't play "Every Breaking Wave" or "Tripoli", going from pre-release interviews. I don't expect to see "Winter" or "Kingdom of Your Love". "Stand Up Comedy" could get an occassional slot, maybe in place of "Sunday Bloody Sunday" or the neutered "Mysterious Ways", and I would like to see that "White as Snow" and "October joining that Willie mentioned. Better than "Stuck" or "In a Little While". I also hope (but do not expect to see) "Drowning Man" at some point.

Offline Vervefloyd

• Refugee
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2009, 10:28:29 PM »
I expect... very, very few changes, to be honest. A LOT of places are deliberately locales- even countries- they didn't play this year, and they won't have a radically different concert experience. Think PopMart- other than the Edge Karaoke slot and Miami, VERY few real changes from the pattern established quite early on. Likewise from start to end, ZooTV had the Zoo Station / The Fly / MW etc combo.

In another tour, I'd have picked TUF and UV as certain to be dropped, but they've put too much effort into them, so I doubt it. I think we'll see Unknown Caller fade out, unfortunately, and probably another song or two from NLOTH- the only ones I'd say will DEFINITELY stay are Go Crazy, Boots and Magnificent. MoS is pretty safe too. I could see COBL potentially being taken out, likewise one of the 'big' songs- maybe ISHFWILF? Trouble is, most of the 'big' songs they haven't played on this tour- The Fly, Bullet, RTSS, I Will Follow- were regulars last time round, so it's easy to see them continuing to take a break- but they're still probably the most likely candidates for reappearances.  Maybe All I Want is You making a return? I could also easily see them bring in SYCMIOYO if they want more 2000s stuff.

IDEALLY, I'd like an overhaul- I'd love to see a few 'Pop' songs in there, Bad making more regular appearances, dropping MW and ISHF, a resurrection of Even Better Than The Real Thing, (A regular every night for two tours but it's barely appeared since!) RTSS, Bullet.... but I see only some minor tweaks and rotated songs, and about 16-17 songs staying constant, minimum. Understandable, due to the limitationsof a stadium tour! Of course, if SOA comes out... that could change a lot, and mean there's virtually no chance of a return of any other old song that hasn't been played so far!

I agree that little while change.  as for the limitations of the stadium tour those are self imposed by U2.  if you can land a man on the moon you can do lots of rotation in a stadium show.  they just choose to stick with their comfort zone which is to create one show.  too bad its 2009 and setlists are posted in real time.  but if anything it will end up resembling the last legs of zoo tv with new songs gradually talking some spots.

Offline jick

• Precious Stone
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2009, 10:52:41 PM »
Since the DVD has already been filmed, and U2 will probably be playing regions for the second and last time on this tour, they can play less popular songs and be more experimental with their setlists.  Perhaps give Your Blue Room more playing time, or finally bring in Drowning Man, or perhaps throwing in a POP song every now and then.

Of course if they release an album in between, they will have to play songs off that album.

Cheers,

J

Offline U2alwaysforever

• Staring at the Sun
  • "And you can dream, so dream out loud."
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2009, 11:45:23 PM »
All i know is, i'll likely be hitting colorado or california, or both... so my time on the forum will be cut come spring, I will not be spoiling my set list this time around!

Offline Gravy11

• Running to Stand Still
  • On borderland we run and don't look back!
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2009, 05:41:56 AM »
All i know is, i'll likely be hitting colorado or california, or both... so my time on the forum will be cut come spring, I will not be spoiling my set list this time around!

Good luck not spoiling the list...It's virtually impossible!

Offline spanner

• Numb
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2009, 07:40:51 PM »

Good luck not spoiling the list...It's virtually impossible!
i don't think it will change all that much.wether any new songs will appear off the new album(if it arrives) it depends but they are going to be playing to people who haven't seen the show yet ,apart from chicago,paris , new york and a couple of others, so they will keep it fairly similar.we might get a similar situation to zooroopa where not a lot changed from zoo tv but a few songs where thrown in off the new album.i personally wouldn't mind if they dropped your blue room for something a bit more uptempo which hasn't been played for a while like exit/gods country (not a snippet),gloria.110'clock tick tock,but it won't happen :P

Offline LOGAN B

• Intellectual Tortoise
  • Ambition Bites the Nails of Success.
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2009, 10:03:53 AM »
If they release SOA I think they will open with a song from that album. I want songs from POP and Zooropa added to the setlist. Drop moment of surrender, crazy remix, unknown caller and add Stand up, Fez, White as Snow.

Offline jrnyc

• Wanderer
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2009, 01:31:47 PM »
Long time U2 fan, 15 shows since 87. Subpar set list this time around has me less then excited. I am going to wait and see for next years tour. If I see similar set list to the two shows I saw this tour, as much as I hate to say it , will take a pass.

U2 needs to take some lessons from Pearl Jam, PJ played 2 shows this week in Philly, 30+ songs each night, only 2 repeats from night one. Nights 3 and 4 coming up in Philly and I expect similar. If PJ can do this, why in the world cant U2 change more then they do ?????

Offline Vervefloyd

• Refugee
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2009, 07:45:22 PM »
Long time U2 fan, 15 shows since 87. Subpar set list this time around has me less then excited. I am going to wait and see for next years tour. If I see similar set list to the two shows I saw this tour, as much as I hate to say it , will take a pass.

U2 needs to take some lessons from Pearl Jam, PJ played 2 shows this week in Philly, 30+ songs each night, only 2 repeats from night one. Nights 3 and 4 coming up in Philly and I expect similar. If PJ can do this, why in the world cant U2 change more then they do ?????

I agree 100% with you.  I've seen them 18 times and haven't gone yet on this tour.  I used to be ok with it but over the years i have changed and would prefer U2 to do a unique show each night instead of the same show for everyone.  major and i mean major bands are now changing their approach and playing to the internet crowds and rotating the sets more than they used to.  but i'm sure the response will be U2 puts on such a huge show that they can't rotate the set like other bands not doing something like the claw.

as for the set i expect very little changes and if they make any changes it will appear on night and one and then by standard by night 2. 

Offline malcolm-edge

• Refugee
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2009, 07:52:06 PM »

Finally! I agree 100% Pearl Jam rock it to a different set each night. The only thing that is constant is their closer which usual rotates between Yellow Ledbetter and Rocking in the Free World. I saw them in Vancouver in September only one night, and got a great set! I was very happy. From the Van show and two Seattle shows before they played 50+ songs and only like 6-8 repeats.

U2 need to grow some damn balls, smash the lighting cues and play a real rock show. Pearl Jam manage to play to the listeners and the fans. I consider myself in the middle for PJ, I knew the big hits, and a fewer lesser known songs and still appreciated the songs I didnt know!

U2 will not ball up and change the set. We all want to see Mofo, Discotheque, Bad(as a set regular with Streets), October, A Sort of Homecoming, In Gods Country, One Tree Hill, EBTTRT, All I Want Is You(imagine this Streets and Bad? You want a triple threat put this in your set)

Magnificent
Get On Your Boots
Even Better Than The Real Thing
I Will Follow
Beautiful Day
A Sort of Homecoming
Numb/Stuck (Edge Solo, song depends on energy of the show)
Desire(Full Band)
Vertigo
No Line
October
New Years Day
Moment of Surrender
One Tree Hill
All I Want Is You
Streets
Bad
--------------
(Pop Muzik)
Discotheque
Hold Me, Thrill Me(Imagine them writing this on in. It would be crazy!)
Crazy Tonight(Regular)
Sunday Bloody Sunday
Walk On
One

It would flow, pretty good. It would defiantly be more up beat and a better rocking show.

Offline beau99

• Stateless
« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2009, 07:46:00 AM »
Feh... I really don't know why people complain about setlists so much.

U2 could play Red Light 24 times and I'd still enjoy it.

Also, Pearl Jam sucks and Eddie Vedder can't sing to save his life.