Author Topic: 360 Tour - 2010...How will the setlist change?  (Read 5985 times)

Offline markreed

• Numb
Re: 360 Tour - 2010...How will the setlist change?
« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2009, 08:50:41 AM »
STOP

*PEARL JAM QUOTA REACHED*

CEASE AND DESIST WITH INSTANT EFFECT.

Regards

Web Sheriff

Achtung40Life

« Reply #16 on: October 31, 2009, 09:59:56 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Feh... I really don't know why people complain about setlists so much.

U2 could play Red Light 24 times and I'd still enjoy it.

Also, Pearl Jam sucks and Eddie Vedder can't sing to save his life.

The thing is, people say that, but do they really mean it? As I've said on another topic, I'm a teenager who has listened to U2 non-stop for 2 1/2 years, and ever since I started listening to them, I've been absolutely dying to go to a concert. I got tickets to the first show on the NA leg in my hometown and during the show I was BORED! Maybe if they take a month or two off in between legs they should... here it comes... MIX UP THE SETLIST. But oh no, U2's not capable of this, they work so hard and it would be too much stress on the crew blah blah BLAH! I'm tired of it, the same guys that made Achtung Baby are capable of putting on a live show every night, not just reading the same book over and over again night after night. Like I said, it's possible but U2 chooses not to mix it up, and that's pathetic. And in turn, they bore their true fans. I'm not happy about it, as you can tell. It's like like I enjoy ripping into my favorite band, but the concert setlist is just pathetic, and I think I deserve to put in my 2 cents, especially after I dropped $1,000 on 4 tickets for a concert that I already heard broadcasted from Sheffield.   

Offline markreed

• Numb
« Reply #17 on: October 31, 2009, 10:39:54 AM »
So you already heard them do the songs? Well, would you happier if they did a completely differenet set - not ONE song the same as Sheffield?

Offline beau99

• Stateless
« Reply #18 on: October 31, 2009, 12:10:38 PM »

The thing is, people say that, but do they really mean it? As I've said on another topic, I'm a teenager who has listened to U2 non-stop for 2 1/2 years, and ever since I started listening to them, I've been absolutely dying to go to a concert. I got tickets to the first show on the NA leg in my hometown and during the show I was BORED! Maybe if they take a month or two off in between legs they should... here it comes... MIX UP THE SETLIST. But oh no, U2's not capable of this, they work so hard and it would be too much stress on the crew blah blah BLAH! I'm tired of it, the same guys that made Achtung Baby are capable of putting on a live show every night, not just reading the same book over and over again night after night. Like I said, it's possible but U2 chooses not to mix it up, and that's pathetic. And in turn, they bore their true fans. I'm not happy about it, as you can tell. It's like like I enjoy ripping into my favorite band, but the concert setlist is just pathetic, and I think I deserve to put in my 2 cents, especially after I dropped $1,000 on 4 tickets for a concert that I already heard broadcasted from Sheffield.   
1. I'm a 23-year-old who's been listening to U2 non-stop since late 2004
2. I had been dying to go to a U2 show since, as I didn't get to see the Vertigo Tour, for different reasons
3. I got a ticket to the Phoenix show this time around
4. I had the best night of my whole life
5. I don't like the word "true fan"; but they didn't bore me that night

The above were opinions; the below are facts:

6. It's actually rather impossible to mix the setlist up; everything has to be just right or the stage and screen (and backing tracks!) would be useless
7. Fact is, U2 have never mixed up the setlist much

Achtung40Life

« Reply #19 on: October 31, 2009, 12:26:50 PM »

1. I'm a 23-year-old who's been listening to U2 non-stop since late 2004
2. I had been dying to go to a U2 show since, as I didn't get to see the Vertigo Tour, for different reasons
3. I got a ticket to the Phoenix show this time around
4. I had the best night of my whole life
5. I don't like the word "true fan"; but they didn't bore me that night

The above were opinions; the below are facts:

6. It's actually rather impossible to mix the setlist up; everything has to be just right or the stage and screen (and backing tracks!) would be useless
7. Fact is, U2 have never mixed up the setlist much

Fact- It's not impossible what-so-ever. If they can get a routine down for 30 or so songs, there's no reason why the crew full of intelligent paid men can't do it with 20 more songs a tour. Once again, stop acting like u2 and the crew are little kids. If you can make 2 of the greatest albums ever made and build the biggest stage ever build, you can remember how to play 50 songs every leg.

Fact- Just because I've never eaten vegtables doesn't mean I can't eat them tonight at dinner.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2009, 12:29:36 PM by Achtung40Life »

Offline Vervefloyd

• Refugee
« Reply #20 on: October 31, 2009, 01:28:55 PM »
repetition is the bane of music.  by playing something so often you become so used to it that you are not even aware you are playing it.  somewhere along the line either U2 said it or someone on a forum said that the production of such a show requires a static set list for the most part. 

have you ever seen the movie school of rock.  at the end when they played the battle of the bands jack black told the kids that they would do the original song instead of cover planned.  and the one kid in charge of the lights and graphics looked at the jack black and said but i have all the lights and stuff planned for the one song.  and what did jack black say.  kid you know this song too and ur great with the lights so you can figure it out.

i know thats only a movie but shouldn't a light guy know the catalog and be able to think on the fly.  its not exactly rocket science as many U2 songs tend to jam on their breaks at relatively the same time.  they use almost the same formula album after album and song after song.

Offline So Cruel

• Elevated
  • it ain't no sin to be glad that you're alive
« Reply #21 on: October 31, 2009, 02:09:35 PM »
Long time U2 fan, 15 shows since 87. Subpar set list this time around has me less then excited. I am going to wait and see for next years tour. If I see similar set list to the two shows I saw this tour, as much as I hate to say it , will take a pass.

U2 needs to take some lessons from Pearl Jam, PJ played 2 shows this week in Philly, 30+ songs each night, only 2 repeats from night one. Nights 3 and 4 coming up in Philly and I expect similar. If PJ can do this, why in the world cant U2 change more then they do ?????

Finally! I agree 100% Pearl Jam rock it to a different set each night. The only thing that is constant is their closer which usual rotates between Yellow Ledbetter and Rocking in the Free World. I saw them in Vancouver in September only one night, and got a great set! I was very happy. From the Van show and two Seattle shows before they played 50+ songs and only like 6-8 repeats.

U2 need to grow some damn balls, smash the lighting cues and play a real rock show. Pearl Jam manage to play to the listeners and the fans. I consider myself in the middle for PJ, I knew the big hits, and a fewer lesser known songs and still appreciated the songs I didnt know!

U2 will not ball up and change the set. We all want to see Mofo, Discotheque, Bad(as a set regular with Streets), October, A Sort of Homecoming, In Gods Country, One Tree Hill, EBTTRT, All I Want Is You(imagine this Streets and Bad? You want a triple threat put this in your set)

Magnificent
Get On Your Boots
Even Better Than The Real Thing
I Will Follow
Beautiful Day
A Sort of Homecoming
Numb/Stuck (Edge Solo, song depends on energy of the show)
Desire(Full Band)
Vertigo
No Line
October
New Years Day
Moment of Surrender
One Tree Hill
All I Want Is You
Streets
Bad
--------------
(Pop Muzik)
Discotheque
Hold Me, Thrill Me(Imagine them writing this on in. It would be crazy!)
Crazy Tonight(Regular)
Sunday Bloody Sunday
Walk On
One

It would flow, pretty good. It would defiantly be more up beat and a better rocking show.

That's your idea of a great show, but it's not everybody's. You have to remember that U2 have a much bigger and broader audience then Pearl Jam and most other bands. I'm just like any other die hard U2 fan, I would love to hear Mercy, So Cruel, Hawkmoon, Luminous times, Love Rescue Me, etc.... but I realize that about 80% of the audience is there to hear the hits and when U2 does play a lessor known song (In A Little While, Unkown Caller, etc..) the place is silent. My brothers & their wives go to U2 every time they come. They are a bit older and love the 80's stuff, it was what they grew up with. After every show I ask what they thought and it's always the same response, 'Great show but they should have played New Years Day, Desire, Pride........'. They want the classics. U2 is in a no win situation, 20% of the crowd are die hards who want Acrobat, & 80% are casual fans who want Pride.

I absolutely love Pearl Jam, I own every album and have seen them live. 1st time I saw them in '98 it was one of the best concerts i've ever been to. The next time I saw them it was a big disappointment. The setlist was no where near as good as the 1st show. The crowd just didn't get into it. They played to many obscure songs and the concert was dull.

Offline RunningtoStandstill (The League of Extraordinary BonoPeople)

• Airborne Ranger
  • There is no end to love.
« Reply #22 on: October 31, 2009, 04:50:54 PM »
i think they CAN definitely do setlist changes.  they just need to work them out between shows.  U2 has never been able to pull of spontaneous set changes, and this would most likely screw their show up anyway.  but im sure they can make setlist changes every few shows, even if they're minor. 

Offline malcolm-edge

• Refugee
« Reply #23 on: October 31, 2009, 07:14:28 PM »
I agree with the teenage poster! I felt the exact same way, but times your fandom by 2. Ive been waiting 5 years and it felt like a kick to the crotch. Tell me why they cant choose rotation slots? Example: Rotate Stuck-Stay-Desire. Depending on the show, if its a one night in the city go with Stuck, if you need to liven up the crowd pull a Desire, if its night two play Stay at one of them.

Put a rotation slot behind Streets. Bad-A Sort Of Homecoming-Pride. Same thing goes, if you need to get the crowd going pull out Pride. You want to give the die hards a night to remember, put up A Sort of Homecoming, if you want to please both, Bad.

1. Breathe
2. Get On Your Boots
3. Magnificent
4. (Mysterious Ways/Electrical Storm)
5. Beautiful Day/ Blackbird [Snippet]
6. I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For/ Stand By Me [Snippet]
7. (New Years Day/Angle of Harlem/ Gone)
8. (Stuck In A Moment You Can't Get Of/Desire/Stay)
9. No Line On the Horizon
10. (Elevation/The Electric Co.)
11. (In A Little While/Sweetest Thing)
12. (Until the End of the World/EVBTRT)
13. (The Unforgettable Fire/City Of Blinding Lights)
14. (Numb/Van Diemon's Land/Seconds(All Edge solo))
15. (Vertigo/I Will Follow)
16. I'll Go Crazy If I Don't Go Crazy Tonight (Remix)/ Two Tribes [Snippet]
17. Sunday Bloody Sunday
18. (MLK/October/Wake Up Dead Man)
19. Walk On/ You'll Never Walk Alone [Snippet]

Encore

20. One/ Amazing Grace [Snippet]
21. Where the Streets Have No Name
22. (Bad/A Sort of Homecoming/Pride/Please(a few nights only))
23. (Ultraviolet (Light My Way)/Discotheque)
24. With or Without You
25. Moment of Surrender

Now tell me those 42 songs would not be hard to remember and switch up any given night and would not disturb the flow of the show? Ever fan would have something on this set. Plus there are a few slots for a surprise or two. They are capable of this.

Offline Gravy11

• Running to Stand Still
  • On borderland we run and don't look back!
« Reply #24 on: November 01, 2009, 03:28:19 PM »
No disrespect to anyone here whatsoever but come on...If the tour setlist really pi**ed you off so much, let the band do what they want and don't go back in 2010.  I just like the fact that 4 forty somethings have been playing together for 33+ years and still seem to like it.  It defies logic these days.  I would love to hear "ASOH" or "Surrender".  Fact is it's most likely not going to happen.  You need to start looking at this band in 2010 and not 1983.  The vocals aren't there. "Pride" and "Bad" go missing? Why? "Bono is late 40's and cannot truly do 1984 songs justice.  That's not a knock on him at all.  It's life. People forget that Bono's vocal career was all but over a few years back. I still love seeing them live and I'll be one of those who keeps going back until it's over.  Am I a better fan? Hell no! We're all fans in our own right.  Just start looking at reality and expect what is reasonable. 

Offline U2alwaysforever

• Staring at the Sun
  • "And you can dream, so dream out loud."
« Reply #25 on: November 01, 2009, 04:09:24 PM »
The problem with set list changes, is the same here as it was for ZooTv, and PopMart, the stage, dont get me wrong i'll see them 10 nights in a row with the same damn songs, i'll pay to watch them play B-sides and Passengers, but when you got a huge production to the song, there isnt as much flexibility in the set lists (as there was for Elevation and Vertigo), remember most "normal" people only go to 1 U2 show. We're the die hards, but in that respect they do know we're there, so variety is never bad.

Offline p8ru2

• Precious Stone
« Reply #26 on: November 01, 2009, 05:37:50 PM »
well said gravy11 and U2alwaysandforever!   8)   Maybe they should just play Acrobat 549 times, and nothing else. Well maybe Bad.  LOL.   ;)

PLEASE do not bring back Bullet!   :P  Keep Pride dropped also, even though its popular.   I think the setlist won't change much but if SOA is added, and it has songs that are quieter or 'serene' in tempo, Stuck/ Stay/ or YBR may go in favor of them.  Or they may bring out Fez/ Being Born/ White as Snow/Cedars in place of those.  I see WAS and Cedars not fitting in well with the current setlist given the mood but depends on what SOA brings.    Stand Up Comedy could make an appearance in place of UC, which is probably least popular amongst fans. If any older songs from the regular set go, I'd guess it'd be TUF & MW + UTEOTW ( which got added), and maybe MLK ( but that transitions well).  Many would like to see WOWY go but I highly doubt it.  I loved seeing TUF & UTEOTW resurrected but if replaced, I have no idea what they'd play but I'd love to hear some Pop and Zooropa show up if it fit... maybe Mofo and First Time (the latter which was played during Vertigo).    I'd love to hear Crumbs & Gone amongst many other songs in their catalog but these won't likely "fit" or happen due to themes. 

On a related note, keirdubois had an interesting theory here: "Mothballs be Gone" You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login where he theorized that Pop and October songs could make an appearance.  I thought it was an interesting theory and was surprised the post received little attention. 

@malcolm-edge  -  First off, you have has 4 on your wishlist from NLOTH, the newest album they're promoting and most excited about.  They've got 6-7 songs from NLOTH for those reasons.

Your comprehensive wishlist of swap-outs looks like a personal "greatest hits" list of the band's catalog, save a few songs.  This is not a greatest hits tour, or tour for 1. In Chicago 1/2 they did swap Stuck with Stay and they've switched it back and forth but they don't do that on every back to back show nor for every song.   I believe they played Electrical Storm in Europe, Angel of Harlem made an appearance (7X in Europe) when MJ died, Desire was played at Giants (1X); and most all of the others listed, were featured in past tours and/or ressurected, with only exception I can see is October. 

I won't further belabour points covered elsewhere on this, PJ & U2's method, production, limitations or reasoning.   If you want Pearl Jam or Springsteen, go see them for their shows & versatility.   No amount of complaining or disappointment will change the way U2 change setlists, method or production.  U2 does seem to listen to an extent  (ie YBR)  but they're not going to completely overhaul what they do and want, to satisfy each and every individual, including those who are unhappy with everything in their setlists & shows etc. 

Offline Miami66

• Airborne Ranger
  • The goal is soul
« Reply #27 on: November 01, 2009, 06:36:36 PM »
well said gravy11 and U2alwaysandforever!   8)   Maybe they should just play Acrobat 549 times, and nothing else. Well maybe Bad.  LOL.   ;)

PLEASE do not bring back Bullet!   :P  Keep Pride dropped also, even though its popular.   I think the setlist won't change much but if SOA is added, and it has songs that are quieter or 'serene' in tempo, Stuck/ Stay/ or YBR may go in favor of them.  Or they may bring out Fez/ Being Born/ White as Snow/Cedars in place of those.  I see WAS and Cedars not fitting in well with the current setlist given the mood but depends on what SOA brings.    Stand Up Comedy could make an appearance in place of UC, which is probably least popular amongst fans. If any older songs from the regular set go, I'd guess it'd be TUF & MW + UTEOTW ( which got added), and maybe MLK ( but that transitions well).  Many would like to see WOWY go but I highly doubt it.  I loved seeing TUF & UTEOTW resurrected but if replaced, I have no idea what they'd play but I'd love to hear some Pop and Zooropa show up if it fit... maybe Mofo and First Time (the latter which was played during Vertigo).    I'd love to hear Crumbs & Gone amongst many other songs in their catalog but these won't likely "fit" or happen due to themes. 

On a related note, keirdubois had an interesting theory here: "Mothballs be Gone" You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login where he theorized that Pop and October songs could make an appearance.  I thought it was an interesting theory and was surprised the post received little attention. 

@malcolm-edge  -  First off, you have has 4 on your wishlist from NLOTH, the newest album they're promoting and most excited about.  They've got 6-7 songs from NLOTH for those reasons.

Your comprehensive wishlist of swap-outs looks like a personal "greatest hits" list of the band's catalog, save a few songs.  This is not a greatest hits tour, or tour for 1. In Chicago 1/2 they did swap Stuck with Stay and they've switched it back and forth but they don't do that on every back to back show nor for every song.   I believe they played Electrical Storm in Europe, Angel of Harlem made an appearance (7X in Europe) when MJ died, Desire was played at Giants (1X); and most all of the others listed, were featured in past tours and/or ressurected, with only exception I can see is October. 

I won't further belabour points covered elsewhere on this, PJ & U2's method, production, limitations or reasoning.   If you want Pearl Jam or Springsteen, go see them for their shows & versatility.   No amount of complaining or disappointment will change the way U2 change setlists, method or production.  U2 does seem to listen to an extent  (ie YBR)  but they're not going to completely overhaul what they do and want, to satisfy each and every individual, including those who are unhappy with everything in their setlists & shows etc. 

+1  :D

Offline eddyjedi

• Elevated
« Reply #28 on: November 01, 2009, 08:31:06 PM »
I'd do stay (full Band), Zooropa, or Lemon Or Please or Even Better than the real thing or Silver and Gold or Salome (which would fit brilliantly) or One Tree Hill or The Fly or Last Night On Earth or Trip Through Your Wires or In God's Country or Miracle Drug or Original Of The Species or Mofo or All I want is you

Just a few of these gems would be bloody marvellous

Offline malcolm-edge

• Refugee
« Reply #29 on: November 01, 2009, 08:37:49 PM »
How would it be hard to fit in a Pop themed Encore like they did on the Vertigo Tour with the Zoo Tv themed encore. Start with Discotheque, move into Gone, the HMTMKMKM and end it with Please into Streets!

I get it is a No Line tour, it just seem more underdog son gs would be nice