Author Topic: 360 Tour - 2010...How will the setlist change?  (Read 5983 times)

Offline Midnight is Where the Day Begins

• Genius of Compression
  • Oh it's time, it's time, it's IeTOUR time!!
Re: 360 Tour - 2010...How will the setlist change?
« Reply #30 on: November 01, 2009, 08:58:05 PM »
This is realistic I think

1. Breathe
2. Get On Your Boots
3. Mysterious Ways/ Sexual Healing (snippet)
4. Even Better Than The Real Thing or I Will Follow
5. Beautiful Day/ In God's Country (snippet)
6. Elevation
7. October                     I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For
    then                    Or  then
8. White as Snow          Your Blue Room
9. New Years Day
10. Angel of Harlem or Desire
11. Unknown Caller or Stay
12. Until the End of the World
13. The Unforgettable Fire
14. City of Blinding Lights/ Mofo [Snippet]
15. Vertigo/ All These Things That I've Done [Snippet]
16. I'll Go Crazy Tonight If I Don't Go Crazy Tonight (Remix)/ Two Tribes (Snippet)/ Don't Stop Till You Get Enough (snippet)
17. Sunday Bloody Sunday
18. MLK
19. Walk On/ You'll Never Walk Alone [Snippet]

Encore

20. One/ Amazing Grace
21. Where the Streets Have No Name/ The Playboy Mansion (Snippet)
22. Ultraviolet (Light My Way)
23. With or Without You (I would say something like Kite, but I think the 5 here will stay)
24. Moment of Surrender/ Drowning Man (snippet)

Everything I put is playable, nothing too major, and possible to see.

Offline suppers ready

• Stateless
« Reply #31 on: November 01, 2009, 09:17:59 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Long time U2 fan, 15 shows since 87. Subpar set list this time around has me less then excited. I am going to wait and see for next years tour. If I see similar set list to the two shows I saw this tour, as much as I hate to say it , will take a pass.

U2 needs to take some lessons from Pearl Jam, PJ played 2 shows this week in Philly, 30+ songs each night, only 2 repeats from night one. Nights 3 and 4 coming up in Philly and I expect similar. If PJ can do this, why in the world cant U2 change more then they do ?????

U2 cannot do that (as much as I wish they could).  It takes them a long time to learn songs and they also suffer from the illusion that they need to have some theme in the set (which goes unnoticed by the vast majority of attendees).  Pearl Jam can go out and take requests at will.  So can Springsteen.  U2 couldn't figure out how to play Acrobat.  It all comes down to could U2 be a bar band.  At one time, I might have said yes, but at this point, I think the answer is they could not. 

Pearl Jam, Springsteen, Tori Amos (albeit in a different type of club) and many other bands clearly could.  For this tour, I've learned to accept U2 for what they are and enjoy the show.

With that said, I wish they'd hurry up and learn Mercy already.  If they can't find a place for it in this set, then they're not trying.

Offline The Unknown Caller

• Holy Joe
  • TORIIIIIINOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
« Reply #32 on: November 02, 2009, 01:22:57 AM »
This is realistic I think

1. Breathe
2. Get On Your Boots
3. Mysterious Ways/ Sexual Healing (snippet)
4. Even Better Than The Real Thing or I Will Follow
5. Beautiful Day/ In God's Country (snippet)
6. Elevation
7. October                     I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For
    then                    Or  then
8. White as Snow          Your Blue Room
9. New Years Day
10. Angel of Harlem or Desire
11. Unknown Caller or Stay
12. Until the End of the World
13. The Unforgettable Fire
14. City of Blinding Lights/ Mofo [Snippet]
15. Vertigo/ All These Things That I've Done [Snippet]
16. I'll Go Crazy Tonight If I Don't Go Crazy Tonight (Remix)/ Two Tribes (Snippet)/ Don't Stop Till You Get Enough (snippet)
17. Sunday Bloody Sunday
18. MLK
19. Walk On/ You'll Never Walk Alone [Snippet]

Encore

20. One/ Amazing Grace
21. Where the Streets Have No Name/ The Playboy Mansion (Snippet)
22. Ultraviolet (Light My Way)
23. With or Without You (I would say something like Kite, but I think the 5 here will stay)
24. Moment of Surrender/ Drowning Man (snippet)

Everything I put is playable, nothing too major, and possible to see.

That seems quite reasonable to me- EBTTRT and I Will Follow are two songs which seem to me quite likely to crop up again!

Offline Thunder Peel

• Up With the Sun
« Reply #33 on: November 02, 2009, 11:34:27 AM »
A U2 show is more than a concert: it's an event and many people who aren't regular fans will attend just to see and I think the band does a good job of keeping both kinds of attendees happy. There will always be diehards like us that would love to hear Rejoice, Acrobat, or Please but there are also those who want to hear the bigger hits and more familiar songs that they've heard before. I know when my mother and sister attended their first show they didn't recognize IALW or TUF and I'm sure many others didn't either. I think U2 tries to be conscious of the different types of fans at each show, which is why we got Your Blue while casual fans got some of the more recognizable songs.

Also, anybody can simply pull songs out of a hat and that works for a lot of groups, especially in smaller venues. Creating a theme and mood in the setlist is much tougher. Sure, I would love to see them play random songs but I also admire the time and effort they put into each show to build it into something bigger and more meaningful. I'm just happy to be there seeing my favorite band and whatever they decide to play is fine with me. :)
« Last Edit: November 02, 2009, 11:36:23 AM by Vertigo40 »

Offline The Unknown Caller

• Holy Joe
  • TORIIIIIINOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
« Reply #34 on: November 02, 2009, 11:50:05 AM »
A U2 show is more than a concert: it's an event and many people who aren't regular fans will attend just to see and I think the band does a good job of keeping both kinds of attendees happy. There will always be diehards like us that would love to hear Rejoice, Acrobat, or Please but there are also those who want to hear the bigger hits and more familiar songs that they've heard before. I know when my mother and sister attended their first show they didn't recognize IALW or TUF and I'm sure many others didn't either. I think U2 tries to be conscious of the different types of fans at each show, which is why we got Your Blue while casual fans got some of the more recognizable songs.

Also, anybody can simply pull songs out of a hat and that works for a lot of groups, especially in smaller venues. Creating a theme and mood in the setlist is much tougher. Sure, I would love to see them play random songs but I also admire the time and effort they put into each show to build it into something bigger and more meaningful. I'm just happy to be there seeing my favorite band and whatever they decide to play is fine with me. :)

Well said, Vertigo40! I agree completely!

Offline Gravy11

• Running to Stand Still
  • On borderland we run and don't look back!
« Reply #35 on: November 02, 2009, 02:04:44 PM »
I think with SOA, we're going to see a whole new animal.  U2 has been touting "Every Breaking Wave" as the next "Streets" and "Tripoli" is getting a lot of buzz.  I'll bet we see "Unknown Caller" dropped which is a sin and we also see "Crazy" dropped.  "White as Snow" and "Stand Up Comedy" will make their way in.  Hopefully, "Being Born".  I would not be surprised if "40" returned as a closer and we also pick up 2-3 songs from "Boy"/"October" in total. Remember, they messed with "White as Snow" into "October".  Either way, the show will be retooled.  It's not going to be treated as, "Let's play the same set for cities we missed in 2009".  That's people not thinking.  It's a new year, and a new tour.  Either way, to those who complained about 360 for the past 5 months seriously, sit it out.  I'm just glad that after this long, I am seeing my favorite band, with the original lineup for an extremely affordable price.  This will be my 3rd show this tour, and I'm going for the cheap seats. I'm glad to be in the building....again! Thanks for hitting NJ again boys! Looking forward to July 19th, 2010.

Offline Saint1322

• Staring at the Sun
« Reply #36 on: November 02, 2009, 03:07:48 PM »
I heard Your Blue Room live for the first time on a boot the other day, and I felt like crying all over again because I didn't get it in Atlanta. Could they not have played it one last time at the Rose Bowl for the DVD?

That's not what we are talking about, is it?

If there is a new record, I agree that it will be phased in at the expense of NLOTH, but I am hopeful that another one of the warhorse *cough* WOWY *cough* may get a break. I think UnFire and Ultraviolet stay in. MLK may be in trouble.

Offline Vervefloyd

• Refugee
« Reply #37 on: November 02, 2009, 03:47:56 PM »
It seems as if they are many different schools for and against the set list changes.  But I feel that almost all of them miss one essential point.  I'm not sitting her wishing U2 would change the set list at all for die hards.  I'm also not saying U2 should have to play songs for the casual fans.  I think U2 should change the set nightly for U2 and only for U2.  Whatever their reasons are for playing the set each night: got to please casual fans, too much production level, feeling that certain songs don't fit the theme - i think U2 is completely off base on all of them. 

Offline boom boom

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #38 on: November 02, 2009, 04:55:35 PM »
Long time U2 fan, 15 shows since 87. Subpar set list this time around has me less then excited. I am going to wait and see for next years tour. If I see similar set list to the two shows I saw this tour, as much as I hate to say it , will take a pass.

U2 needs to take some lessons from Pearl Jam, PJ played 2 shows this week in Philly, 30+ songs each night, only 2 repeats from night one. Nights 3 and 4 coming up in Philly and I expect similar. If PJ can do this, why in the world cant U2 change more then they do ?????

Finally! I agree 100% Pearl Jam rock it to a different set each night. The only thing that is constant is their closer which usual rotates between Yellow Ledbetter and Rocking in the Free World. I saw them in Vancouver in September only one night, and got a great set! I was very happy. From the Van show and two Seattle shows before they played 50+ songs and only like 6-8 repeats.

U2 need to grow some damn balls, smash the lighting cues and play a real rock show. Pearl Jam manage to play to the listeners and the fans. I consider myself in the middle for PJ, I knew the big hits, and a fewer lesser known songs and still appreciated the songs I didnt know!

U2 will not ball up and change the set. We all want to see Mofo, Discotheque, Bad(as a set regular with Streets), October, A Sort of Homecoming, In Gods Country, One Tree Hill, EBTTRT, All I Want Is You(imagine this Streets and Bad? You want a triple threat put this in your set)

Magnificent
Get On Your Boots
Even Better Than The Real Thing
I Will Follow
Beautiful Day
A Sort of Homecoming
Numb/Stuck (Edge Solo, song depends on energy of the show)
Desire(Full Band)
Vertigo
No Line
October
New Years Day
Moment of Surrender
One Tree Hill
All I Want Is You
Streets
Bad
--------------
(Pop Muzik)
Discotheque
Hold Me, Thrill Me(Imagine them writing this on in. It would be crazy!)
Crazy Tonight(Regular)
Sunday Bloody Sunday
Walk On
One

It would flow, pretty good. It would defiantly be more up beat and a better rocking show.
First of all, no one is putting a knife to your throat and forcing you to but tickets.  If you don't want to go, stay home.  We won't miss you.  Secondly, maybe Pearl Jams need to grow some balls and step up to the next level instead of playing to the same old die hard, hardcore fans every time.  Maybe they are just scared to get the the next level, a level only a handful of band have reached, U2 being the last, where every move, every album release, every tour is scrutinized until no end.  Not every one can handle it and Eddie Vedder has admitted this himself.  Also everyone is talking about low album sales for NLOTH.  I don't think Pearl Jam's new albom Backspacer will even get to 1 million in sales worldwide, let alone in america.  If Pearl Jam wanted to be a garage band, maybe they should have stayed in their garage.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2009, 06:26:34 AM by boom boom »

Boom Cha!

« Reply #39 on: November 02, 2009, 06:02:50 PM »
I doubt much will change. Maybe we can expect some songs from Songs Of Ascent (if it's released) in place of some NLOTH songs. A few songs not played on this tour yet and maybe an encore change might happen.

Offline MrMacphisto2

• Stateless
« Reply #40 on: November 02, 2009, 06:44:02 PM »
Heres what i want:

*Fez intro*

1. Being Born
2. No Line On the Horizon
3. Magnificient
4. Beautiful Day
5. Elevation
6. Get On Your Boots
7. Vertigo
8. City of Blinding Lights
9. Ultraviolet
10. The Fly
11. Hold Me, Thrill Me, Kiss Me, Kill Me
12. Mysterious Ways
13. Until the End of the World
14. Breathe
15. I'll Go Crazy If I Don't Go Crazy Tonight
16. Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses
17. Bad
18. Pride (In the Name of Love)
19. MLK(Snippet)/ Where the Streets Have No Name
20. One

21. Acrobat
22. Unknown Caller
23. Moment of Surrender

Heres What I Think they might do:

1. Breathe
2. Get On Your Boots
3. Magnificient
4. Mysterious Ways
5. Even Better Than the Real Thing
6. Beautiful Day
7. No Line On the Horizon
8. The Fly
9. Elevation
10. Unknown Caller
11. Until the End of the World
12. Unforgettable Fire
13. Bad
14. City of Blinding Lights
15. Vertigo
16. Crazy Tonight (remix)
17. Pride (Switch with sbs)
18. MLK
19. Walk On
20. One
21. Streets

22. Ultraviolet
23. WOWY
24. MOS

Offline malcolm-edge

• Refugee
« Reply #41 on: November 02, 2009, 08:15:08 PM »
Most shows they cater to both (Pearl Jam) they play the fan favorites. Then play the unknown favorites except to the fans. U2 need to do that too.

Offline beau99

• Stateless
« Reply #42 on: November 02, 2009, 08:19:16 PM »
Most shows they cater to both (Pearl Jam) they play the fan favorites. Then play the unknown favorites except to the fans. U2 need to do that too.
No; U2 should play what they want to play and only what they want to play.

Offline malcolm-edge

• Refugee
« Reply #43 on: November 02, 2009, 09:35:48 PM »
I dont think its to hard to relearn A Sort of Homecoming and Please for example. The Lanois version of Homecoming is rather cool and would be sweet to see live, and would fit in the 360 show just fine!

Offline Gravy11

• Running to Stand Still
  • On borderland we run and don't look back!
« Reply #44 on: November 02, 2009, 10:10:33 PM »
I dont think its to hard to relearn A Sort of Homecoming and Please for example. The Lanois version of Homecoming is rather cool and would be sweet to see live, and would fit in the 360 show just fine!

I'm with you. ASOH is a Top 5 in my book. Love the new remix but unless they drop it a few keys, Bono's not hitting those notes on a nightly basis. Not a bad thing but it's not 1984. You have to look at a swtlist around 2010 Bono.