Author Topic: An Open Letter to U2  (Read 5185 times)

Offline boom boom

• Running to Stand Still
Re: An Open Letter to U2
« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2009, 01:21:26 PM »
The Stones do the same and I saw the Police reunion tour 3 time with exact same setlist.  At least U2 have the guts to play the new material whether it is selling well or not.  That is the diffference and I for one look forward to hearing new songs palyed live.  I wish they added more, at least Stand Up Comedy and Fez would have been great.

Offline RunningtoStandstill (The League of Extraordinary BonoPeople)

• Airborne Ranger
  • There is no end to love.
« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2009, 01:50:22 PM »
true, U2 does seem to be doing pretty non-improvisational set lists, and yes it is a bit predictable, especially with youtube and such...however, with regards to old songs, keep in mind that U2 has always had the mindset of the future.  fans may love songs like A Celebration or Heartland, but U2 has said many times that they don't LIKE many of their older songs! that's why they don't play them! you can't, as a musician, play something you never really felt 100% happy with to begin with.  now, they should be changing up the set list more often to provide less of a static show...more audience interaction would be great too.  but i think after this tour, which made such spontaneity a little tricky, they'll get back to mixing it up more.  we just have to be patient.  above all, the band needs to be happy with their show.  if they're not happy, we won't be happy.  and lets face it, U2 does NOT but on a bad show.  this just wasn't their BEST show yet.  feel free to agree or disagree.

Offline jrnyc

• Wanderer
« Reply #17 on: October 30, 2009, 01:57:52 PM »
I agree , the set list is below average and this is coming from someone who likes the new album. They need to mix it up more, some of the older songs are old and tired. The pace of the show is really bad also.

Pearl Jam just played two nights in Philadelphia, they played 30+ songs each night with only two repeats !!! If PJ can do this, why in the world cant U2 mix it up more ???? PJ fans are fanatical, this is one huge reason why. You keep following the band because you never know what will be played next. I went to my 2 U2 shows this tour, see the same exact set list night after night and stop following the band.

Offline rook34

• Stranger in a Strange Land
« Reply #18 on: October 30, 2009, 03:08:37 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I agree , the set list is below average and this is coming from someone who likes the new album. They need to mix it up more, some of the older songs are old and tired. The pace of the show is really bad also.

Pearl Jam just played two nights in Philadelphia, they played 30+ songs each night with only two repeats !!! If PJ can do this, why in the world cant U2 mix it up more ???? PJ fans are fanatical, this is one huge reason why. You keep following the band because you never know what will be played next. I went to my 2 U2 shows this tour, see the same exact set list night after night and stop following the band.

Pearl Jam doesn't have a million lighting cues, a massive stage, or the general production level that a U2 show does, either.  Pearl Jam's a concert.  U2's a show.  Big difference.

And I've seen PJ several times and loved it.  But you're comparing apples and oranges.

Offline jrnyc

• Wanderer
« Reply #19 on: October 30, 2009, 03:17:43 PM »

Pearl Jam doesn't have a million lighting cues, a massive stage, or the general production level that a U2 show does, either.  Pearl Jam's a concert.  U2's a show.  Big difference.

And I've seen PJ several times and loved it.  But you're comparing apples and oranges.

Pearl Jam has 2 guitarists, sometimes 3 when EV plays and one bass player. They change guitars almost every song, just figuring out and organizing the guitars from night to night has to be a process. If PJ can do this, U2 cant handle changing lighting for some songs ? Also, its not like PJ doesnt have lighting , not as elaborate as U2, but they certainly have different lighting for different songs.

Offline Joe G (Love You Like Mad Magazine)

• Precious Stone
  • 2 souls 2 cool 2 B in the realm of certainty
« Reply #20 on: October 30, 2009, 03:29:57 PM »
And if PJ didnt play "Betterman" or "Release" or "Do the Evolution" or "Wishlist" or "Indifference" at the one show that I was at then I would complain that their set was changing too much. OR, I would be happy I got to see them live.

Offline rook34

• Stranger in a Strange Land
« Reply #21 on: October 30, 2009, 03:33:40 PM »
And if PJ didnt play "Betterman" or "Release" or "Do the Evolution" or "Wishlist" or "Indifference" at the one show that I was at then I would complain that their set was changing too much. OR, I would be happy I got to see them live.

Exactly.  Pearl Jam made the conscious decision to cater their sets to their hard-core following.

U2 long ago made the choice to be the Manchester United of Rock N' Roll, which means that the experience is close to the same in each city.

Offline boom boom

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #22 on: October 30, 2009, 03:38:24 PM »

It's all about knowing who are your fans.  Pearl Jam basically has one set of fans which are the die hards and thus can vary setlists as they are playing to a limited fan base who know all their songs.  U2 have the die hards and casual fans and they know this and if they want to play stadiums they know that they have to sing certain songs to please the masses and to sell tickets.  The casual fan won't be pleased if U2 sang say, I threw a brick... , A day without me, Fire(from October), twilight, Wire during the same set.  I think most people would be walking out the door (I would love it however) but it won't happen.  And in the case with U2, I think the casual fans out number the hardcore, die hard fans.  So you guess who they are going to cater to.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2009, 03:42:14 PM by boom boom »

benhur1999

« Reply #23 on: October 30, 2009, 04:15:16 PM »
Thought I'd dip back in again.

People seem to be arguing now based on 'that's just who U2 are', PJ are this, U2 are this. Apples/Oranges etc...
Thing is that it is only in the last 10 years that U2 have started becoming comfortable with the phrase 'that's just who we are'.
Beautiful Day Bono to Edge "it's too U2" --> Edge to Bono "we are U2". Now BD great song. Glad they wrote it.
But the whole 'this is who U2 are', this is what we do, is a fairly recent mindset from both fans and the band. It used to be 'we are U2' there is no line on the horizon.
So when people say it will be difficult for U2 to change set, night after night, because of lighting, pre-set mixes etc... That's the point! There's the problem!
They have defined for themselves a way of doing the live show, that is now incredibly inflexible. 
And until they 'sack' Willie Williams (a metaphor for those who missed it), and change their mindset for live performances.
Now in reply to Bono, Edge, Larry & Adam who so graciously wrote a note in response.
I realise you've been in the business for 30 years. And you have been doing it for a while and you know what you're doing.
BUT that's what this guy said, who still today fills stadiums and 'really knows what he is doing'.
But he fills stadiums of people who also know that he is well and truly passed it.
They go to reminisce. Remember their youth. 
1970s:
NOW:

Please don't mishear me. I'm not for an obscure set of songs they can't play any more. But mixing it up a bit.

What were the regulars on previous tours that have been dumped?

Vertigo tour:
Yahweh
Love and Peace
All Because of You
Miracle Drug??

Elevation:

Kite
New York
Stuck in a moment (band)

Popmart:

Discotheque
Staring at the Sun
Gone
Last Night on earth
Mofo
Please
Velvet Dress
Wake Up Dead Man

Now that's 15 songs that worked live, and that's only the last three albums. They could do more. I'm not talking obscurities (although that would be nice).
Now all these songs were well rehearsed at the time, and for the most part, worked really well live. Sure they shouldn't be in the set every night, but that's the point. Work up a selection of songs that you know you can pull off live. And then rotate them every night. 

there is no reason why they can't add a rotating selection of say 5-6 of these song. So on any night you have 5-10 hits, 5 off new album and 5 - 6 random songs, and they all work live.

Offline jrnyc

• Wanderer
« Reply #24 on: October 30, 2009, 06:37:50 PM »
I am not suggesting U2 play songs no one knows, they have a deep enough catalog of songs and hits that they can easily mix it up a bit.

Why in the world do they need to play the same encore every night ???? Last tour they mixed it up, for God sakes they played Vertigo twice in one night, that was awesome !

Offline nolinehere

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #25 on: October 30, 2009, 06:43:18 PM »
anyone who's followed U2 for any length of time knows not to expect pearl jam type setlist shakeup, they're just not good enough musicians to do that, it's never been their way.

i'd be more concerned about bono's voice, it's gotten terrible and he doesn't take care of it

Offline Dream Out Loud

• Child of Grace
  • I'm Wide Awake....I'm Not Sleeping
« Reply #26 on: October 30, 2009, 06:49:21 PM »

there is no reason why they can't add a rotating selection of say 5-6 of these song. So on any night you have 5-10 hits, 5 off new album and 5 - 6 random songs, and they all work live.

you are in my head.  scary.

Offline Vervefloyd

• Refugee
« Reply #27 on: October 30, 2009, 08:01:53 PM »
anyone who's followed U2 for any length of time knows not to expect pearl jam type setlist shakeup, they're just not good enough musicians to do that, it's never been their way.

i'd be more concerned about bono's voice, it's gotten terrible and he doesn't take care of it

U2 made it quite clear on the boy tour that they only trust certain stuff when they hit the road, why else would they play IWF, The Ocean and 11 O'Clock Tick Tock twice in a short set.  U2 has and always will only play to their strengths and unfortunately this has made them not progress as musicians.  I think it would benefit U2's future studio albums for them to take say 65-70 songs on the road and rotate them.  they would have to trust each other more as musicians and get back to the core of what music is all about.  These sets they are currently playing they can play in their sleep and sadly it shows in certain segments each night. 

Offline Dream Out Loud

• Child of Grace
  • I'm Wide Awake....I'm Not Sleeping
« Reply #28 on: October 31, 2009, 06:24:43 AM »
there are only a handful of songs that they have never played live. even if we were to reluctantly admit that we'll never hear Acrobat, Red Hill Mining Town, etc., there are still many many many songs that they have previously played live that the just don't play anymore.  i could come up with a list of 4 songs every night for the "variety" portion of the show and it will include only songs that they have played live before.

if they did it once and they did it twice a long time ago, surely they can do it again.

Offline theocean

• Genius of Compression
  • The songs are in your eyes
« Reply #29 on: October 31, 2009, 06:38:54 AM »
They know what they are doing. They even know when they prob will retire. But for now they
do it this way. I think playing the entire catalog would speed up the process of retirement sooner,
they arent ready to use up all the live old stuff yet.