Author Topic: U2-Obsessed and Proud's review of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame show  (Read 1929 times)

Offline U2-obsessed and proud

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • Let The Rain come down, make a brand new ground
How many people on this planet can say they saw , Jerry Lee Lewis, Aretha Franklin, Lenny Kravitz, Jeff Beck, Sting, ZZ Top, Lou Reed, The Kinks, Ozzy Osbourne, Metallica, Mick Jagger, Bruce Springsteen, AND U2 within a span of 4 hours??  I can.  And alongside my U2 concert (Boston 1), it is tied for the greatest night of my life.

Jerry Lee Lewis got the crowd going with his rendition of "Great Balls of Fire" just like Tom Hanks's introductory speech had done. Aretha Franklin sounded amazing, as did her duets with Annie Knox and Lenny Kravitz.  R-E-S-P-E-C-T was A-W-E-S-O-M-E.  She got us up off our feet, what more can you ask from the opening act.

To be honest, I have never heard of Jeff Beck.  Im only 18 years old anyway.  Well little did I know how amazing he was on the guitar.  It made me wish for a future collaboration with him and The Edge, as Beck is the only person that rivals him (that I've seen at least).  The female bass player is a female version of Adam, her right hand moved the arena.  Such a wonderful shock to see Sting, full beard and all come out and play "People Get Ready", and i kept looking at the side of the stage, waiting for Bono to run out and preform one of his favorite covers.  Sting was great, as expected.  Billy Gibbons of ZZ Top again shocked the crowd as he joined Beck on stage to play a cover of Hendrix's "Foxy Lady".  Beck, I loved you, even though I still don't know who you are.

I am no Metallica fan at all, but I have to give credit where credit is due.  They ROCKED!!!  Most of the crowd was on their feet, not all, but most.  Their collaborations with Lou Reed and the Kinks lead singer were powerful to say the least.  Ozzy Osbourne being announced to the crowd was the loudest it had been up to that point.  Even though I hate Ozzy and he was my bathroom/food break, the crowd went NUTS for him.  To finish Metallica's set, a video montage of Mariano Rivera (closing pitcher for the New York Yankees for those non-baseball people) was set to Enter Sandman (Mo's theme music for when he enters the game) which got the New York crowd absolutely rocking.  But it was nothing compared to:

UNOS, DOS, TRES, CATORCE!!!!  Everyone in the arena was suddenly transported to an 80,000 seat stadium, with a giant Claw in front of them, with the greatest band of the world in front of them.  Jumping up and down, screaming every lyric was the crowd like we were at Giants Stadium circa 9/23. Bono-like motions in my seat, shouting into the darkness, squeezing out sparks of light, singing my heart out.  Ok well maybe that was just me.  I, personally, was transported back to Boston 1.  Vertigo had just as much power last night as did on that chilly September 20th night in Foxboro.  It honestly blew every other act out of the water.  The 30 second break before Magnificent was well needed, as the most beautiful song on NLOTH was just that, beautiful.  Heart-stopping just like it was at Gillette.  Bono sounded GREAT, Edge and Adam were GREAT, and Larry was U2's star that shined in the fall night.  He really did shine like a star.  His drumming was spot on.

Bruce Springsteen coming out was a complete shock, and for me seeing Bruce for the 1st time made it even more special.  Because the Night might have been the highlight of the night, even though there were some technical issues.  But playing it twice was such a treat.  It would be like U2 playing a powerful anthem like Beautiful Day or Sunday Bloody Sunday twice, it was that amazing.  It was all but guaranteed that Bruce and U2 would play Still Haven't Found next, we all knew it.  Again, another sheer beauty belted out by Bono and Bruce (like the alliteration anyone?)  A crowd sing-along just like on tour.  One crowd, one love.  One amazing song

Mysterious Ways, what can I say about that funky litte Achtung rocker that gave me and my 20,000 friends goosebumps?  All I can say is that it was, well...incredible!!!!!!  Again, Bono sounded GREAT and the band was spot on.  Im soooooo happy they played it and played it soooooo well.  The Black Eyed Peas storming the stage near the end of MW, transitioning into Where's the Love was really cool, seeing as I am a Black Eyed Peas fan myself.  I love that song and I loved Bono's vocals in that song.  Sounded crisp, clean, and just really cool.  The One snippet at the end was beautiful and heart warming, just like One has always been.  Another highlight of my night.

I have never seen the Rolling Stones live either.  Seeing the legend that is Mick Jagger preform my favorite Stones song, Gimme Shelter, with my favorite band about 75 feet in front of me made it that much more special.  Fergie was GRRRRRRRRREAT!!!!  She sounded amazing.  In a comedic note, she was all over the Edge, literally.  She has such an amazing voice and Mick belted out such a rendition that my mind was blown for sure.

Stuck in a Moment has always been a personal favorite for me, as I have deemed it "Dad's song" as it fits my personal life in terms of my father perfectly.  Stuck in a Moment also was preformed acoustically at the 360 shows, but not tonight. FULL BAND!!!!!  Mick sounded rough but great as usual and Bono sounded pure.  Amazing duet, amazing energy, an amazing moment that I wanted to be stuck in and not get out of. 

As we all know, Beautiful Day is the song that is played perpetually in heaven, in God's country.  It is my song, the song I grew up on, the song I fell in love with U2.  My song.  And it did not disappoint.  I reached my hands to the sky and sand word for word with my hero, my idol.  Greatest 4 minutes of the night, without a doubt.  Perfection, nothing else to even say.

Im sorry this was so long, but the story had to be told.  I also think that this was worthy of my 1000th post!!
« Last Edit: October 31, 2009, 10:32:01 PM by U2-obsessed and proud »

Offline StrongGirl

• Genius of Compression
  • On BLS I heard the sound of an angel
Re: U2-Obsessed and Proud's review of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame show
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2009, 12:42:50 AM »
Well ...... I saw Lou Reed & U2 on one stage together  :D  (Carnegie Hall show). 

Great review U2 Obsessed and Proud. How amazing is that?!!! I love the Kinks. What  a line up! Shows like that are once in a lifetime opportunities to see. I am glad you got to be there. Thanks for sharing your experience.

An edited version is supposed to be televised in late November on HBO. I have only one problem-I don't have HBO  >:(  I got rid of it awhile ago because it never had anything on there that I cared for. It just figures, right!

• Drowning Man/Woman
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2009, 12:58:38 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Well ...... I saw Lou Reed & U2 on one stage together  :D  (Carnegie Hall show). 

Great review U2 Obsessed and Proud. How amazing is that?!!! I love the Kinks. What  a line up! Shows like that are once in a lifetime opportunities to see. I am glad you got to be there. Thanks for sharing your experience.

An edited version is supposed to be televised in late November on HBO. I have only one problem-I don't have HBO  >:(  I got rid of it awhile ago because it never had anything on there that I cared for. It just figures, right!

It was almost impossible to write that too.  Near impossible to put what I saw/heard/and especially felt into a cohesive, coherent review.  It was truly indescribable to see U2 again, just like it was at my show.  Greatest night ever along with my show

shockdocta22

« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2009, 10:31:47 AM »
nice review, are the clips on youtube or anything?

i wonder how stuck went, i wasnt expecting that really

Offline Centsless99

• Babyface
  • Into the heart
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2009, 11:28:24 AM »
yah it was an awesome night. i still havent found what im looking for was definitely the highlight for me. i loved bono singing promised land at the end

• Drowning Man/Woman
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2009, 06:53:08 PM »
nice review, are the clips on youtube or anything?

i wonder how stuck went, i wasnt expecting that really

Stuck in a Moment- You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline birdlover

• Child of Grace
  • It's not how weak but what will make you strong
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2009, 07:07:22 PM »

I have asked at my Time-Warner office and they will let you take HBO or whatever cable setup for as little as 2 days. I did that for my computer broadband for the YouTube show. Increased the speed just for that, then back to ecomony mode.

See if you can do that, StrongGirl!

Birdlover

Offline Aqua

• Acrobat
  • adam for trlica 8^)
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2009, 12:43:15 AM »
Firstly, that was a really enjoyable read. It's nice to see you had so much fun. Jeff Beck is actually my guitar teachers idol- posters of him everywhere ( I asked him to get and Edge one but he said he doesn't like Edge  :o >:().
I really want to see these performances now.
And do you know what they snippetted at the end of Beautiful Day?

• Drowning Man/Woman
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2009, 09:53:08 AM »
Firstly, that was a really enjoyable read. It's nice to see you had so much fun. Jeff Beck is actually my guitar teachers idol- posters of him everywhere ( I asked him to get and Edge one but he said he doesn't like Edge  :o >:().
I really want to see these performances now.
And do you know what they snippetted at the end of Beautiful Day?

Thank You!!!!  Jeff Beck, i'd never heard of him but he was great.  I have no clue what they snippeted at the end of Beautiful Day though, I didnt recognize it.  All I know is that it wasnt Blackbird or Here Comes the Sun, the two he loves to snippet all the time at the end of BD.  Im assuming it was either a Stones or Springsteen song

Offline silvrlvr

• Headache in a Suitcase
  • Three things I need you to know -- three!
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2009, 10:51:32 AM »
I thought it was strange and wonderful -- mostly wonderful, but rather strange, too. My thoughts:

1) while there has been a lot of BEP hating on this site, their presence reflected a couple of things. First, like it or not, they are a top 10 selling artist nowadays, which U2 largely is not. BEP singles spend weeks at the top of the charts. U2's do not. BEP is on Oprah. Although Bono is, U2 is not. BEP is in Dish Network ads. In short, BEP is the commercial draw, not U2, as much as we would like to think otherwise.

2) Did BEP have a right to be there? They were U2's guests. U2 has toured with them and Will.I.Am has done some producing work for them. It took the pressure off U2 to perform at its peak 24 hours after ending a tour. No problem for me.

3) I wish U2/Bruce had performed something other than Still Haven't Found, which they did together in 2005 when U2 was inducted by Bruce into the Rock Hall. I cherish my Tivo recording of that, and feel like it was a once in a lifetime moment.

4) Mick Jagger and the Stones may no longer be relevant artists, but wow, does he have charisma. Step aside, Bono.

5) Even if Because the Night wasn't perfect, Patti Smith is a jewel and thank goodness U2 appreciates her. Seeing Larry come down off the stand to kiss and hug her really warmed my heart.

6) Why oh why does U2 perform Beautiful Day at every special gig, whether the BBC or Letterman or Rock Hall? It is like a security blanket. Guys, give it a rest -- yes, it got you back in the groove this decade but it's now just one of your older songs.

• Drowning Man/Woman
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2009, 10:55:05 AM »

6) Why oh why does U2 perform Beautiful Day at every special gig, whether the BBC or Letterman or Rock Hall? It is like a security blanket. Guys, give it a rest -- yes, it got you back in the groove this decade but it's now just one of your older songs.

It isnt just one of their older songs.  It was produced in this decade and it is still relavent to U2's style nowadays.  EVERYONE knows it and it is a song that introduced my generation to U2.  And its my favorite song so they had to play it for me

Offline StrongGirl

• Genius of Compression
  • On BLS I heard the sound of an angel
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2009, 10:55:25 AM »

I have asked at my Time-Warner office and they will let you take HBO or whatever cable setup for as little as 2 days. I did that for my computer broadband for the YouTube show. Increased the speed just for that, then back to ecomony mode.

See if you can do that, StrongGirl!

Birdlover

Thanks so much for that info Birdlover!!!