Author Topic: Price gouging (for tickets) makes me sick  (Read 1461 times)

Offline U2fan77

• Babyface
Price gouging (for tickets) makes me sick
« on: November 04, 2009, 03:11:23 PM »
I don't know if I'm the only one but it makes me sick to see how much tickets are going for on sites like stubhub. Lucky for me I was able to get the $30 seats for $30 for the Oakland show. But the same section I bought tickets for are now going for $117. I noticed that tickets for the Anaheim show are already on stubhib so that means these are people who are registered at U2.com or the passwords go out. I already saw them play at the Rose Bowl and I'm going to the Oakland, I think I'll skip the Anaheim even though I live a half hour away from Anaheim. I would just like to see more people who cannot afford to buy tickets from brokers to buy seats at face value.

Offline briscoetheque

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • R-E-S-T-E-C-P
Re: Price gouging (for tickets) makes me sick
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2009, 03:18:19 PM »
We all would. But it's commercial reality...

Offline muthangya

• Wanderer
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2009, 09:14:57 AM »
Despite being in your same section, there is a chance that these tickets have a face value of $95.  But of course, I am right there with you; the ticket resale market is ridiculously out of control and needs to be strictly regulated or outlawed.

If it's any consolation, there were some shows during the NA leg of the tour for which StubHub had such a surplus of tickets that they began selling them for less than face value...ie, $30 seats at Cowboys Stadium were listed between $25 & $27 in the days leading up to the show.

Offline p8ru2

• Precious Stone
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2009, 11:13:52 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Despite being in your same section, there is a chance that these tickets have a face value of $95.  But of course, I am right there with you; the ticket resale market is ridiculously out of control and needs to be strictly regulated or outlawed.

If it's any consolation, there were some shows during the NA leg of the tour for which StubHub had such a surplus of tickets that they began selling them for less than face value...ie, $30 seats at Cowboys Stadium were listed between $25 & $27 in the days leading up to the show.

I agree on pt. 1 about the resale mkt being out of control and needing regulation.  That's great to hear about the tix going for less than face also.   :D   

While its a reality and hard to control - its also definitely affecting not just the accessibility of tickets for concerts for music lovers but also the quality of fans & energy at a show.  I've seen the quality of fans drop significantly at several concerts & bands shows, where the audience is less than familiar and interested in the music being played, and the energy is disappointing for both fans and the band playing.   (eg) Springsteen in Vancouver ( 3rd time I've seen him and lowest energy crowd of the three); and the Police last year.   When TM and brokers resell tix on the basis of how much a buyer can pay it also really restricts how many concerts one can go to.   There's been several non-U2 concerts I've really wanted to go to in recent years but have not been able to get face value reasonable tickets through the general sale.  The brokered tix are just way too expensive & prohibitive, and I while I'm a member of a couple fan clubs, one can only do so much of that you can track, so I've concentrated on my favorite band U2.   

Offline Dream Out Loud

• Child of Grace
  • I'm Wide Awake....I'm Not Sleeping
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2009, 11:33:30 AM »
i scalped tix to SPringsteen on Monday in DC.  bought 4 tickets day of the show outside the arena for $225 total.  Face value (not counting fees) was $98. 

that being said, I was about to buy a set from one guy and was handing him $220 cash when someone saw what was going on and offered him $250.  I told the seller, "i'm trying to get the best deal I can out here.  you should do the same."  he got the $250.

Offline aurabender

• Numb
  • dressed up like a car crash
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2009, 09:40:22 PM »
This is very ironic to me becasue this tour has made me feel that the free market is capable of controlling ticket resale prices and that no regulation is needed. I have yet to see a concert on the tour, at least in the US, where you could not find a ticket in any section for either face value or just slightly above. Sure, there where people wanting ridiculous prices, but I am sure those people still have their tickets gathering dust somewhere. These stadiums are just so massive that their are planty of tickets to go around and that is keeping salpin prices fairly low.

Offline Dream Out Loud

• Child of Grace
  • I'm Wide Awake....I'm Not Sleeping
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2009, 11:57:16 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
This is very ironic to me becasue this tour has made me feel that the free market is capable of controlling ticket resale prices and that no regulation is needed. I have yet to see a concert on the tour, at least in the US, where you could not find a ticket in any section for either face value or just slightly above. Sure, there where people wanting ridiculous prices, but I am sure those people still have their tickets gathering dust somewhere. These stadiums are just so massive that their are planty of tickets to go around and that is keeping salpin prices fairly low.

amen.  if your goal is simply to get inside the stadium, where you aren't concerned with where you are sitting, you should always be able to get in for under face value.  i know i have.