Author Topic: Why so much criticism?  (Read 3124 times)

Offline fardreamer

• Child of Grace
  • The best things are easy to destroy
Why so much criticism?
« on: November 11, 2009, 02:32:40 PM »
Hi all.  This is my first post, but I've been reading for a while.   ;D

I have a question, why is there so much crticism about U2 not changing the set list enough, when they've pretty much always been this way.  I mean Zoo TV and Popmart both had a standard set that didn't change much.  Even Elevation and Vertigo didn't change very much, except for a few exceptions.

Just wondering

shockdocta22

Re: Why so much criticism?
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2009, 02:34:05 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

I have a question, why is there so much crticism about U2 not changing the set list enough, when they've pretty much always been this way.  I mean Zoo TV and Popmart both had a standard set that didn't change much.  Even Elevation and Vertigo didn't change very much, except for a few exceptions.

Just wondering

i think recently, people have noticed set lists are alike, and there like the last tours....

Offline JasontheJedi

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2009, 02:53:54 PM »

Just wondering

Not as many people had the internet then, so they couldn't find out every little detail and b**** as much.

Offline Joe G (Love You Like Mad Magazine)

• Precious Stone
  • 2 souls 2 cool 2 B in the realm of certainty
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2009, 02:57:46 PM »

Just wondering

Not as many people had the internet then, so they couldn't find out every little detail and b**** as much.

That pretty much sums it up. I'm pretty sure no one from the JT tours were complaining afterwards "Hey! They didn't play Indian Summer Sky!"

daveyg

« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2009, 03:09:38 PM »
I remember going to U2 gigs going back to the late (and pre-internet) 80s and we had a pretrty much good idea, give or take, of what the set list would have been right through the different periods. And the maoning was there at that stage. It's just not physically in print in front of you as opposed to your friends kitchen between three of you as happened in the late 80s/early 90s with me!

Offline jrnyc

• Wanderer
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2009, 06:19:08 PM »
I think this set list is weak , especially playing the same exact encore every night. I went to 5 shows at MSG on Vertigo tour, we could count on 3 or 4 different songs in main set and a totally different encore every night.

shockdocta22

« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2009, 06:28:14 PM »
I think this set list is weak , especially playing the same exact encore every night. I went to 5 shows at MSG on Vertigo tour, we could count on 3 or 4 different songs in main set and a totally different encore every night.

see, back in the 80s, no one knew what setlists were going in...

Offline tdot1a

• Stateless
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2009, 06:40:26 PM »
I think it's because we are all at EVERY show thanks to youtube and flickr and so we know the show so well before it even hits our town....

Offline jrnyc

• Wanderer
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2009, 07:41:51 PM »

Thats true, but when they play multiple shows in the same city , Internet or no Internet , not hard to figure out you are hearing the same encore you heard the night before :)!

shockdocta22

« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2009, 07:46:14 PM »

Thats true, but when they play multiple shows in the same city , Internet or no Internet , not hard to figure out you are hearing the same encore you heard the night before :)!

ill put it this way, im still in school.  I have a test period 8, and a friends of mine take it throughout the day.  I ask them stuff about the test, and even if i get some information, im still surprised to see it...
(another response)

well...if your seeing back to back shows, they should change it up

Offline Alana

• Stateless
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2009, 08:54:53 PM »
U2 can't please everyone, regardless of what they do, someone's bound to complain!

Offline indiansummer

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2009, 04:50:32 AM »
U2 can't please everyone, regardless of what they do, someone's bound to complain!
That's not true, they have been very lazy with the set on this tour , a return to the dark days of ZooTV and Popmart.

Offline Bads316

• Elevated
  • Ain't nothin' but a muffin
« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2009, 08:08:38 AM »
Its part of the whole U2 thing - to have a select group of songs that they can play well - as apposed to anything and everything which could sound sloppy - things like that suit the Stones etc because its part of their sound anyway. U2 are much more disciplined - I don't think it's laziness, I think its a mix between fear and  limited ability/time.

Offline Alana

• Stateless
« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2009, 08:14:57 AM »
That's not true, they have been very lazy with the set on this tour , a return to the dark days of ZooTV and Popmart.

Lazy, maybe, but I had no complaints about my show. I don't think we should expect them to drastically alter the set list night after night. Those people who are seeing them night after night should count their lucky stars! Don't get me wrong, I'm not criticizing you, I'm just saying, when its U2 live, I find it hard to complain about it.

Offline jrnyc

• Wanderer
« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2009, 09:13:48 AM »
Look at the encores from MSG shows from 2005, different every night. When they played Giants Stadium this year, both nights and every night on the tour same encore, hence some fo the disappointment this go around:

Encore(s): The First Time (acoustic), Stuck In A Moment You Can't Get Out Of, Fast Cars, All Because of You, Crumbs From Your Table, Yahweh, With or Without You

Encore(s): The First Time, Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses, With or Without You, All Because of You, Fast Cars, Original of the Species, 40

Encore(s): Zoo Station, The Fly, With or Without You, All Because of You, Yahweh, Bad, 40

Encore(s): The First Time (acoustic), Stuck In A Moment You Can't Get Out Of, Fast Cars, With or Without You, All Because of You, Crumbs From Your Table, 40

Encore(s) The First Time (acoustic), Stuck In A Moment You Can't Get Out Of, Fast Cars, With or Without You, All Because of You, Party Girl, Yahweh, Vertigo

Encore(s): Until the End of the World, Mysterious Ways, With or Without You, The First Time (acoustic), Stuck In a Moment You Can't Get Out Of, Instant Karma, Bad - People Have the Power

Encore(s): Until the End of the World, Mysterious Ways, With or Without You, Stuck In a Moment You Can't Get Out Of, Instant Karma