Author Topic: PURE GREED  (Read 6721 times)

Offline p8ru2

• Precious Stone
Re: PURE GREED
« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2009, 01:23:44 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Selling tickets now for a concert seven months away doesn't bother me.  I heard an ad on the radio for a Bon Jovi concert in Foxborough in July 2010 so U2 aren't the only ones selling tickets ahead of time.  Maybe they're hoping for Christmas sales?

What does bother me is selling tickets before they've announced the entire tour schedule.  I skipped the NYC presale and am now hoping they add a Foxborough date.

I don't have a problem with advance sales and I agree w/ jfp612 here about the tour schedule announcements being only partial but I wasn't too happy that the earliest presales were SO too close to the last show (eg) Edmonton for EF who was in Van, and then DEN, Oakland, Chicago, Seattle etc.  I barely had a chance to soak in and recover from the Van show before needing to decide on 2010!   :P  I opted for 1 show only in 2010 given the timing, partial tour schedule, and decidedly not participating in some of the presales,  so like many will both risk and decide later on any others & any new shows announced.  If there'd been a couple weeks to think about it, I may have committed and scooped up more than 1 show. 

Offline U2Crush

• Wanderer
« Reply #16 on: November 12, 2009, 01:51:59 PM »
Selling tickets now for a concert seven months away doesn't bother me.  I heard an ad on the radio for a Bon Jovi concert in Foxborough in July 2010 so U2 aren't the only ones selling tickets ahead of time.  Maybe they're hoping for Christmas sales?

What does bother me is selling tickets before they've announced the entire tour schedule.  I skipped the NYC presale and am now hoping they add a Foxborough date.

I wish they would return to foxboro too, but it doesn't look good.   :'(

Already got tickets to Toronto and Oakland though so I have back-up plan   ;D

An Cat Dubh

« Reply #17 on: November 12, 2009, 02:21:32 PM »
Pretty sure you can buy Broadway tickets for shows that are 8-9 months away. Sports teams start selling season tickets for the NEXT year before the current year is over. Does it bother me? No. Seems a bit odd, but apparently it's fairly normal outside the US for concert tickets to be sold far in advance - someone mentioned that in a different thread. Live Nation obviously has budget requirements that need to be met and so tickets are getting sold now.

Don't see the big deal, really. None of the shows are sold out (despite what they say) and tickets should be pretty easy to get for the next 8-9 months as the shows approach. Just stick around the forum and join some mailing lists and you'll see all kinds of alerts from fans whenever more tickets show up on Ticketmaster for allegedly "sold out" shows.

This is why  you are subject to stadium shows,  which are awful   compared to  an arena with decent accoustics.

See, this is where not having seen a show in person really kills your argument. The sound at the four shows I saw was perfect. Best sound I've ever heard at ANY concert, including little club shows where you're 15 feet from the artist on stage.

Seems the only places having questionable sound are the indoor domes with the echo they produce.

And guess what - the sound in BC Stadium (Inflatable domed roof) was near perfect. Even Willy Williams was surprised (see his blog on U2.com)

Agree with everything else m2  ;)

Offline EdgeFest [Zenmaster360]

• Airborne Ranger
  • My blog: mrstheedge.com
« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2009, 02:30:10 PM »
And guess what - the sound in BC Stadium (Inflatable domed roof) was near perfect. Even Willy Williams was surprised (see his blog on U2.com)

The only thing I noticed that suffered was the big bass in "Crazy" and BEP sounded like crap (but then again, they always sound like crap to me).  I don't think the acoustics there are set up for a rap/dance/hiphop act as the low bass and drum sound reverbs something evil, but a treble based sound like U2 came off great.

They have redone a lot of the acoustic walling in the stadium for the Olympic opening ceremonies which is why U2 sounded good (as well as U2 having the creme de la creme of sound engineers). 

Concerts have been notoriously bad there for years so I was very pleasantly surprised at how good the boys sounded.

Offline u2bono269

• Babyface
  • @atU2 Tours Staffer
« Reply #19 on: November 12, 2009, 02:46:34 PM »
well I don't blame U2 for this directly.  After all, it's not Bono, Edge, Larry and Adam who are deciding when to put these tickets onsale so far in advance.  It's LiveNation.  Now, yes, U2 did sign with them and they do hold some responsibility for what is done by the entities representing them, but in reality we should be angry at LiveNation, not U2. 

That said, I do wonder how complicit U2 is in this...do they even stop to think about it?  I wonder...

Offline EdgeFest [Zenmaster360]

• Airborne Ranger
  • My blog: mrstheedge.com
« Reply #20 on: November 12, 2009, 02:55:18 PM »
well I don't blame U2 for this directly.  After all, it's not Bono, Edge, Larry and Adam who are deciding when to put these tickets onsale so far in advance.  It's LiveNation.  Now, yes, U2 did sign with them and they do hold some responsibility for what is done by the entities representing them, but in reality we should be angry at LiveNation, not U2. 

That said, I do wonder how complicit U2 is in this...do they even stop to think about it?  I wonder...

I'm definitely not going to hold this against The Edge.  LOL.

Of course it's Live Nation and all those greedy buggers, but it still doesn't suck any less.  I'm still getting my tickets, I just have to change the way my Christmas is going to be this year.  In the space of my life I don't care, but right now I have to make some immediate changes and am thanking goodness I don't have kids.... (sorry kiddies, no Xmas for you, mommy needs to go see The Edge again!!)

Offline StrongGirl

• Genius of Compression
  • On BLS I heard the sound of an angel
« Reply #21 on: November 12, 2009, 03:26:33 PM »
m2 does bring up a good point about Broadway tickets and such. I had to buy Spider-Man tickets a year in advance and now I come to find it may not even open on time! Bummer. My pocketbook wasn't thrilled with this , however, for me U2 is worth it.

Offline Lady B

• Refugee
  • Cool down mama..........cool off
« Reply #22 on: November 12, 2009, 03:34:25 PM »
Did I pi*s and moan a little when they announced the on-sales for 2010, while my Vancouver show hadn't even happened yet?  Yes I did.....but only for a moment.

I count myself very lucky to even have this dilemma.  How many months/years have we gone without a new record, or even the possibility of a U2 Tour?  How many other cities/countries haven't even had the opportunity to see 360 (yet)?  We really shouldn't complain, this is how the industry works these days.

Lucky........that's what we are.  Lucky.

And if U2 announces a tour for 2015...........I'd buy my tickets today.......in a heartbeat.

An Cat Dubh

« Reply #23 on: November 12, 2009, 03:35:29 PM »
Did I pi*s and moan a little when they announced the on-sales for 2010, while my Vancouver show hadn't even happened yet?  Yes I did.....but only for a moment.

I count myself very lucky to even have this dilemma.  How many months/years have we gone without a new record, or even the possibility of a U2 Tour?  How many other cities/countries haven't even had the opportunity to see 360 (yet)?  We really shouldn't complain, this is how the industry works these days.

Lucky........that's what we are.  Lucky.

And if U2 announces a tour for 2015...........I'd buy my tickets today.......in a heartbeat.

This.

Offline jrnyc

• Wanderer
« Reply #24 on: November 12, 2009, 03:43:10 PM »

I dont think the boys make the decision when tickets go on sale, but they did take all those $$$$$ from Livenation, so they are complicit in everything Live Nation does.

Offline Joe G (Love You Like Mad Magazine)

• Precious Stone
  • 2 souls 2 cool 2 B in the realm of certainty
« Reply #25 on: November 12, 2009, 03:54:22 PM »

I dont think the boys make the decision when tickets go on sale, but they did take all those $$$$$ from Livenation, so they are complicit in everything Live Nation does.

Really? Is Alex Rodriguez complicit in everything George Steinbrenner does?

Offline jrnyc

• Wanderer
« Reply #26 on: November 12, 2009, 03:58:06 PM »

Bad analogy. U2 took an oceans worth of $$$$$ from Live Nation, Live Nation  makes decisions affecting tour and U2 fans, U2 is complicit.

Offline globaljosh

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #27 on: November 12, 2009, 04:02:46 PM »
Ehhh, I think I bought my Popmart Tampa U2 tickets in March, for a show that wouldn't come to town until late October. And this was back in 1997. I don't really see the big deal here?

Also, same as mentioned above, the sound at these shows in AMAZINGLY clear. Much better than the seven arena shows I attended during the Elevation and Vertigo tours.

Offline Joe G (Love You Like Mad Magazine)

• Precious Stone
  • 2 souls 2 cool 2 B in the realm of certainty
« Reply #28 on: November 12, 2009, 04:03:49 PM »

Bad analogy. U2 took an oceans worth of $$$$$ from Live Nation, Live Nation  makes decisions affecting tour and U2 fans, U2 is complicit.

A-Rod takes an oceans worth of $$$$$ from Steinbrenner, Steinbrenner makes decisions affecting team and Yankee fans, A-Rod is not complicit? I'm really just trying to understand. For the record, it doesn't matter to me when the tickets go on sale.  I can see why it would matter to others.  But this smacks of "U2 builds new Berlin Wall for concert".

Offline dougie

• Intellectual Tortoise
  • A Bozo on the bus going nowhere!
« Reply #29 on: November 12, 2009, 04:06:12 PM »
I like to know what I am going to do for vacation- as far ahead of time as I can.  For many reasons-

1) Save up for hotel, airfare (if needed)  and other incidentals

2) I know not to plan other things- like other vacations, concerts or professional commitments.

3)  I can know that I have something to look forward to that I love.

4) Worry about how or if I can get a ticket- I'll know what situation I am in early and plan accordingly.

You may be able to put the 'greed' name on the ticket prices ($250 or more for the VIP) or the total amount of money being racked in.  But, interest rates being so low right now (particularly short term), that's nothing to the money machine steam  rolling along.