Author Topic: PURE GREED  (Read 7144 times)

Offline LOGAN B

• Intellectual Tortoise
  • Ambition Bites the Nails of Success.
Re: PURE GREED
« Reply #30 on: November 12, 2009, 04:12:57 PM »
I guess the problem is that the Rose Bowl show was just a few weeks ago and some of us that went spent cash on merchandise, beer, food, parking and the tickets for the next L.A. show went on sale just two weeks after Rose Bowl. I ended up getting the $30 tixs. I don't mind just as long as I get to go. I will however try to score better seats for the second show next week.

Offline birdlover

• Child of Grace
  • It's not how weak but what will make you strong
« Reply #31 on: November 12, 2009, 04:42:42 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Can't sing is incorrect.......  cannot sing at all like he used to is what I mean.  Drop in a Zoo t.v video, or rattle and humm vid......no comparison.
 I saw   360 on you tube...   could not bear to watch  after a few songs.

its amazing when you watch rattle and hum and hear him sing running to stand still. what a clean, pure and strong voice he had. 

This is like comparing Johnny Cash's voice of the 50's to the one he had in the 70's, 80's and 90's. Go back and get an old Sun recording of Walk the Line and then get a more modern one. Better voice quality? Undoubtedly, but the experience in his later voice, and in Bono's MORE than makes up for it.

Birdlover
And YES, 360 was Perfect!

Offline indiansummer

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #32 on: November 12, 2009, 05:08:37 PM »
I agree with an earlier poster that it is very inconsiderate and bloody unhelpful to stagger releasing the dates. I bought tickets to Paris next year but have also booked a hotel for the following night , my flights were already rising in price so I decided to buy them too . I've gambled they play a second date on Sunday and not Friday or else I'm screwed.
Are we supposed to book a range of hotel dates and a selection of flights to have every angle covered in case of extra dates, clearly a ridiculous situation.

Offline j2736 (i'm not a boy ! )

• Desert Rose
  • watch more television
« Reply #33 on: November 12, 2009, 05:21:12 PM »
Did I pi*s and moan a little when they announced the on-sales for 2010, while my Vancouver show hadn't even happened yet?  Yes I did.....but only for a moment.

I count myself very lucky to even have this dilemma.  How many months/years have we gone without a new record, or even the possibility of a U2 Tour?  How many other cities/countries haven't even had the opportunity to see 360 (yet)?  We really shouldn't complain, this is how the industry works these days.

Lucky........that's what we are.  Lucky.

And if U2 announces a tour for 2015...........I'd buy my tickets today.......in a heartbeat.

i can very well relate to this.

Offline briscoetheque

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • R-E-S-T-E-C-P
« Reply #34 on: November 12, 2009, 06:18:52 PM »
Putting shows on sale 9 months - 12 months in advance is standard practice for big shows in Australia...

Seriously, you lot complaining about the earliness of tickets is tough to take when there are a bunch of countries, cities and hamlets in the world that don't have the opportunity to buy tickets at all yet.

Coz, yknow, no shows have been announced. And yet they're going to re-tour the US where they spent September and October already.

US concert goers are spoilt beyond belief.

Sure, I'm jealous and as a result stumped up the funds to fly over and watch 2 shows, but smell the flowers occasionally eh?

Offline Northern Soul

• Desert Rose
  • I'm not coming down...
« Reply #35 on: November 12, 2009, 06:57:09 PM »
I agree that it's quite inconvenient that they put tickets on sale so early (and so close to the first NA leg).  However, I fail to see how it is out of greed; it is well documented that U2 are LOSING money on this tour.  We're still paying off the first leg, but we do have tickets for the 2010 shows...and we wouldn't miss it!

And for the person that thinks Bono can't sing anymore...seriously...you don't know what you're missing.  He doesn't sound like he did in the 80s or 90s - he isn't a 20 or 30 year old man anymore.   He doesn't have the power, you can't argue.  However, he's still one of the best rock singers in the entire world, and what he lacks in power (which isn't much) he makes up for with better technique.

Offline Popmart1976

• Stranger in a Strange Land
« Reply #36 on: November 12, 2009, 09:23:33 PM »
They probably need the money upfront to pay for the cost of storing the Claw over the winter recess and deposits for venues etc.

It's not like you can store the Claw in your garage (probably not even Bono's!)

Hardly greed and if you have such an ethical issue then don't buy a ticket .......

Offline mattyk

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #37 on: November 14, 2009, 06:41:41 AM »
Putting shows on sale 9 months - 12 months in advance is standard practice for big shows in Australia...

Seriously, you lot complaining about the earliness of tickets is tough to take when there are a bunch of countries, cities and hamlets in the world that don't have the opportunity to buy tickets at all yet.

Coz, yknow, no shows have been announced. And yet they're going to re-tour the US where they spent September and October already.

Sure, I'm jealous and as a result stumped up the funds to fly over and watch 2 shows, but smell the flowers occasionally eh?

x2

Offline jrnyc

• Wanderer
« Reply #38 on: November 14, 2009, 07:30:43 AM »

x2

Just because we get shows here in US on regular basis and other places dont, we shouldnt complain when we think certain practices are unfair ??? Taking fans money 9 months in advance is a pure money grab, plain and simple.

Offline Witsa

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #39 on: November 14, 2009, 09:43:23 AM »
Pretty sure you can buy Broadway tickets for shows that are 8-9 months away. Sports teams start selling season tickets for the NEXT year before the current year is over. Does it bother me? No. Seems a bit odd, but apparently it's fairly normal outside the US for concert tickets to be sold far in advance - someone mentioned that in a different thread. Live Nation obviously has budget requirements that need to be met and so tickets are getting sold now.

Don't see the big deal, really. None of the shows are sold out (despite what they say) and tickets should be pretty easy to get for the next 8-9 months as the shows approach. Just stick around the forum and join some mailing lists and you'll see all kinds of alerts from fans whenever more tickets show up on Ticketmaster for allegedly "sold out" shows.

This is why  you are subject to stadium shows,  which are awful   compared to  an arena with decent accoustics.

See, this is where not having seen a show in person really kills your argument. The sound at the four shows I saw was perfect. Best sound I've ever heard at ANY concert, including little club shows where you're 15 feet from the artist on stage.

Seems the only places having questionable sound are the indoor domes with the echo they produce.

And guess what - the sound in BC Stadium (Inflatable domed roof) was near perfect. Even Willy Williams was surprised (see his blog on U2.com)

Agree with everything else m2  ;)

I was very impressed with BC Place really.  Having been to not only concerts but football games there, the sound is usually terrible.
Listening to the bootleg from the Vancouver show right now and it sounds amazing!  Far better than the Vegas boot and the Chi 1 bootlegs I've heard.  (its actually better than the (arena show) Oakland 1 on Vertigo tour - but that could just be equipment used too) but less echo.  Bono's voice is strong and sounds great.

I have NO  issues with buying tickets months and months in advance.  I have lots of time to put in vacation requests, sort air tickets, hotels...  plan meet ups.  I actually prefer the early sale - after Christmas may have been better timing though.

I just wish that they'd announce the whole tour  - poor people not in Europe & NA are waiting and waiting...  We really are lucky that we KNOW when our shows are, most of us have our tickets 'in hand' and are getting ready.

« Last Edit: November 14, 2009, 09:45:08 AM by Witsa »

Offline mattyk

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #40 on: November 14, 2009, 04:40:44 PM »

x2

Just because we get shows here in US on regular basis and other places dont, we shouldnt complain when we think certain practices are unfair ??? Taking fans money 9 months in advance is a pure money grab, plain and simple.

How much do you reckon U2/Live Nation have had to deposit secure those stadiums for those dates? Plus insurance, retaining fees for staff, plus storage fees for that big fricking stage, etc, etc.

As Brisco mentioned earlier, 9-12 months in advance is absolutely standard down here in Australia. I can't understand why you'd think it was just a simple matter of it being a money grabber.

Offline nolinehere

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #41 on: November 15, 2009, 12:24:50 PM »
Best show I've ever seen soundwise----U2 360, Rose Bowl

Worst show I've ever seen soundwise--U2 Vertigo, San Diego Sports Arena

Best Stadium U2 show I've seen sound wise - RoseBowl
Worst U2 show of any kind performance wise I've seen - RoseBowl

Offline nolinehere

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #42 on: November 15, 2009, 12:26:50 PM »
It's simple. Xmas is coming up. People will think twice in January about shelling out big bucks. Get the $$ now.

I'm waiting as usual (there's rarely a problem getting tix later for this type of show), probably wait until April or May.

Offline emuhunter

• Refugee
« Reply #43 on: November 15, 2009, 04:12:36 PM »
[/quote]

In your opinion, what does the band, LiveNation, and/or whoever else accomplish by taking fans money 9 months early? I'm not sure if you're familiar with a concept referred to as Occam's razor. To paraphrase, the simplest explanation or strategy tends to be the best one.

I feel the simplest explanation is that U2 wants to know what markets most want to see them so that they can have more time to plan additional shows in those areas. As a few people have mentioned, selling tickets 9 months early isn't an uncommon practice in Australia, for example.

Moreover, I think everyone agrees that 360 is perhaps one of the largest tours (in terms of stage and production) ever undertaken by any band. As a result, logistics are probably a nightmare. We know the band has yet to make money off this tour. By selling tickets early, wouldn't that give them money to pay employees, venues, etc?

Money grab? If you want to call it that sure, I guess you could. Money grab for selfish reasons? I don't see how this could logically benefit them.

Offline briscoetheque

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • R-E-S-T-E-C-P
« Reply #44 on: November 15, 2009, 07:13:46 PM »

x2

Oh, complain all you like... just accept a healthy dose of perspective every now and then...
« Last Edit: November 15, 2009, 07:15:18 PM by briscoetheque »