Author Topic: PURE GREED  (Read 7174 times)

Offline beau99

• Stateless
Re: PURE GREED
« Reply #45 on: November 16, 2009, 03:37:59 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Putting shows on sale 9 months - 12 months in advance is standard practice for big shows in Australia...

Seriously, you lot complaining about the earliness of tickets is tough to take when there are a bunch of countries, cities and hamlets in the world that don't have the opportunity to buy tickets at all yet.

Coz, yknow, no shows have been announced. And yet they're going to re-tour the US where they spent September and October already.

US concert goers are spoilt beyond belief.

Sure, I'm jealous and as a result stumped up the funds to fly over and watch 2 shows, but smell the flowers occasionally eh?
I agree with you... and I'm an American.

USA concert-goers ARE spoiled beyond belief.

Offline briscoetheque

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • R-E-S-T-E-C-P
« Reply #46 on: November 16, 2009, 04:21:24 AM »
Putting shows on sale 9 months - 12 months in advance is standard practice for big shows in Australia...

Seriously, you lot complaining about the earliness of tickets is tough to take when there are a bunch of countries, cities and hamlets in the world that don't have the opportunity to buy tickets at all yet.

Coz, yknow, no shows have been announced. And yet they're going to re-tour the US where they spent September and October already.

US concert goers are spoilt beyond belief.

Sure, I'm jealous and as a result stumped up the funds to fly over and watch 2 shows, but smell the flowers occasionally eh?
I agree with you... and I'm an American.

USA concert-goers ARE spoiled beyond belief.

It's true - yet all relative.

Australian concert goers are spoilt beyond belief compared to, say, Sudanese concert go-ers.

And the Penguins down at Mawson Hut in Antarctica haven't seen U2 EVER.

I'm just sayin... perspective.

Not an attack on 'Americans' or anything like that. Hey at an exchange rate of $0.92 I LOVE you guys and all your online eBay stores  :P

Perspective is just what we all kinda need sometimes.

Offline jick

• Precious Stone
« Reply #47 on: November 16, 2009, 04:39:45 AM »
The right to make money is something they hold dear.

In this troubled times economically, we should commend U2 for finding ways to maximize their profits so they can properly feed their family especially since their kids are older and more plentiful, and schooling expenses are going up.

After all, there is nothing bad per se or immoral about what they are doing, is there?

Cheers,

J

Offline donvalley360

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #48 on: November 16, 2009, 06:02:07 AM »
Muse have just put tickets on sale for next September in the UK,Green Day for July i think,and even Pink has 2 stadium shows for next summer on sale,so its not just U2,everyone does it,so that kind of shoots you down in flames doesnt it!  ;D

Offline jrnyc

• Wanderer
« Reply #49 on: November 16, 2009, 06:23:45 AM »
Muse have just put tickets on sale for next September in the UK,Green Day for July i think,and even Pink has 2 stadium shows for next summer on sale,so its not just U2,everyone does it,so that kind of shoots you down in flames doesnt it!  ;D

Just because everyone is doing it doesnt make it right. It never used to be like this ,  2 or 3 months in advance, not 8 or 9. As a consumer I dont like being taken advantage of, anyone who buys a ticket now is giving U2 an interest free loan for 8 months.

Offline donvalley360

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #50 on: November 16, 2009, 06:27:40 AM »

Just because everyone is doing it doesnt make it right. It never used to be like this ,  2 or 3 months in advance, not 8 or 9. As a consumer I dont like being taken advantage of, anyone who buys a ticket now is giving U2 an interest free loan for 8 months.
[
So what,putting on big shows isnt cheap,and as long as you get a great show,who cares,i certainly dont mind,i think they are worth every penny,if you dont like it,dont get a ticket,its quite simple!
Also,it gives people who may not have the money straight away an opportunity to maybe get hold of a ticket a bit nearer to tthe show date,i cant see the problem at all.

Offline emuhunter

• Refugee
« Reply #51 on: November 16, 2009, 09:58:03 AM »

[/quote]

Anyone who buys tickets other than the day of an event is going to be giving the band a short term loan aren't they? I'm really having a hard time seeing what the issue is, honestly. Plus, with HUGE shows like this it's not like tickets won't be around in a few months. I bought my GA tickets for Las Vegas about 3 weeks before the show, because I was waiting to save up the money. As far as I'm concerned, U2 has done nothing wrong. But I truly mean it when I say I'm open to hearing your point of view. I'm just failing to understand what the problem is, or how U2 is maliciously assaulting their fans with this move.

Offline highway190

• Refugee
  • Not telling you where the J Tree is.
« Reply #52 on: November 16, 2009, 11:52:03 AM »
You do realize they still haven't turned a profit yet, right?

Offline emuhunter

• Refugee
« Reply #53 on: November 16, 2009, 01:32:26 PM »

X100 BILLION!!!!  ;D

Offline jrnyc

• Wanderer
« Reply #54 on: November 16, 2009, 02:02:56 PM »

U2 is in the business of making money, do you really believe they went out on tour and are not making $$$$ ???? The manager said a couple of months ago at that point the tour wasnt making money but would be turning a profit near end of year.

Maybe we should pass a collection plate around to get some money for the boys so they dont starve :)!!!
« Last Edit: November 16, 2009, 02:07:15 PM by jrnyc »

Offline emuhunter

• Refugee
« Reply #55 on: November 16, 2009, 02:18:04 PM »

U2 is in the business of making money, do you really believe they went out on tour and are not making $$$$ ???? The manager said a couple of months ago at that point the tour wasnt making money but would be turning a profit near end of year.

Maybe we should pass a collection plate around to get some money for the boys so they dont starve :)!!!

I don't think we need to pass around a collection plate, but the band aren't making the fortune they could be off of this. Tickets could be priced higher, staging could be less elaborate, etc. As far as turning a profit at the end of the year, that's really cool for them. They are after all capitalists, and in the business of making money obviously.

HOWEVER, it's of special note that most (meaning pretty much every band other than U2 that I know of) bands turn a profit EVERY SHOW, not near the end of what is so far the highest grossing (not highest earning, HUGE difference) tour ever.

U2 aren't money grabbers, not by a long shot. They could do SOOOO much more to take our money, but instead they do their best to make a good experience us. Is it perfect? No. Do I trust that the band is interested in more than just their own bottom line? Absolutely, without a doubt.

Offline markreed

• Numb
« Reply #56 on: November 16, 2009, 02:47:53 PM »
ok, lets think about this. Some people have a shedload of money... let them buy expensive tickets. And some people don't... let them buy cheaper tickets and be subsided by the rich. The 360 experience is certainly no lesser for being in the cheap seats or the 250 ones.

But lets take a step back : this tour has announced no dates  for Australia, NZ, South America, South Africa, Japan - any of the Southern Hemisphere at all - and many major cities haven't been touched at all. I'd rather U2 play there than perform in the US for the 686th time : around 50% of known U2 appearances WORLDWIDE have been in the US.

Offline Domenico of Lovetown

• Precious Stone
« Reply #57 on: November 16, 2009, 05:57:40 PM »
ZOO TV Outside Broadcast tickets went on sale just after the brief ZOO TV arena tour which was several months before the stadium date back in 1992.  If you can believe it, U2 almost lost money on that tour.

Offline nolinehere

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #58 on: November 16, 2009, 09:04:56 PM »
the TOUR hasn't made a profit, but U2 is being paid nightly.

They'll make more per member per night than most will in a year.

Don't know what it is now but back in ZooTV their appearance fee was over $100K per night, each.

Offline emuhunter

• Refugee
« Reply #59 on: November 16, 2009, 10:21:21 PM »
the TOUR hasn't made a profit, but U2 is being paid nightly.

They'll make more per member per night than most will in a year.

Don't know what it is now but back in ZooTV their appearance fee was over $100K per night, each.

I would LOVE to see a source cited for this, because I highly doubt this is the case.