Author Topic: PURE GREED  (Read 7138 times)

Offline TheFlyMacphisto

• Headache in a Suitcase
Re: PURE GREED
« Reply #60 on: November 17, 2009, 12:16:37 AM »
Matt is right, it's not out of the norm for certain events to go on sale many many months in advance.

What is out of the norm is to drive/fly/travel to a U2 gig somewhere (Phoenix for me), go to dinner, see the show, spend money on merchandise and overall spend a few hundred dollars on the fun filled evening (and it was fun) only to return home a day or two later to find an e-mail informing me of a pre-sale THE NEXT DAY for a show I HAVE to go to because it's 30 minutes from my house (which is what I hoped for to begin with), as opposed to 12 hours like the last show.

Seriously? How about waiting till the people of a state have a few weeks off before asking for more money! It should have read: "Since we are striking while the iron is hot, we don't care that you just spent your hard earned cash in this bad economy on our tickets, if you are a true fan you have to buy more, well,  tomorrow! Get them while they're hot!!!".

My family has season tickets to a certain NFL team, and as greedy as that league can be I can assure you that money is not due until well AFTER the current season is over!

I love this band, am happy I got the tickets to the Oakland show (it's also a joke they skipped Nor. Cal on this leg, but that's a story for another time) and I will not complain about it after this rant. I am not a hater like some of the people on here these days.

I have to speak up though. This is a joke, and I feel a bit taken advantage of by a band that usually has better sense than that. I got my tickets, but what about the other fans that went to another show and were out of money after that, or worse (like a lot of us), just didn't have the means to come up with $100-$200 for a show with just a couple of days notice?

Offline mbeano

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #61 on: November 17, 2009, 02:15:22 AM »
Im with the lot of people who just dont get this complaint at all

1) As Brisco noted, perspective would be nice sometimes.  Someone asked "just because other people dont have an opportunity to see them in thier home country, means I shouldnt complain?"  Actually my answer is YES, you shouldnt.  Concert tix are a frivolous expense, a luxury.  I FIRMLY believe any complaint in regards to a completely unnecessary luxury is F@#$'N absurd and spoiled. Aside from something like false advertisement, or non-delivery of guaranteed goods and such, or  say you paid for leather and it ends up being cheap imitation, or your brand new TV is defective.  But entertainment purchases like movies, concerts, theater, comedy acts.  come with inherant KNOWN risks.  You dont know what if you will be entertained to your liking, the risk comes with it.  You dont know if the movie will be any good.  this is why you ask people, read reviews, check out boards, etc.

2) Someone already noted that with interest rates the way they are now (nonexistent in terms of making anything from them) 9 mo comparative to 3 4 or 5 months would not produce any more money for the band

3) Some of the complaints actually work against the main argument of the original post.  MANY of us just spent alot of money on shows we just saw, including merch, travel etc.  The band and LiveNation are fully aware than a good percentage of people not only spend money on the xtras but on travel. They also know, statistically speaking, that the majority of concertgoers for stadium sized gigs are NOT the hardcore fans (this is basically a numbers game, just look at the album sales comparative to tix sales, and also once you get past arena size, it certainly becomes obvious that you are now dealing with the masses)  So, knowing these things, and the fact that Xmas season is here, It would make more fiscal sense to sell the tix further away from the last gigs.  Since the majority of tix are expected to be non hardcore fans, the likelyhood of Xmas money in a down economy from these people being spent on U2 related purchases in unlikely.  This kind of spending would come primarly from the bands core fans, who do NOT make up the majority of tix sold and concerts this.size.  Futhermore, it can be expected/predicted that The hardcore fans spent alot of money on ancillary purchases related to recent U2 concerts so may not be prepared to spend more, espescially in a down economy.  So, if they were REALLY looking seriously at finding the best way to rip money from our pockets, they would have waited 3 to 4 months, as both the casual and hardcore fan would have more money to spend. 

4) If they would have announced the tix 2-3 months ahead of the date, the same amount, and many of the damn same people would still complain

5)  Like someone else said... More time before the gig gives me more time to plan

6)  For me at least, I felt and experienced that the quick announcement in combo with the distance from the actual concert dates, have worked to the fans advantage in terms of GETTING tix (or availability)  NO CASUAL fans I know, knew of the presale, and barely any knew of the public onsale.  Plus the casual fan is less likely to plan as far ahead for a concert that they just kinda want to see.  I personally would not buy tix for a band I only kind of like 9 months in advance.   Even for a band I like quite a bit, and have seen before and were quite good live, and from where I live - The Killers.  I would wait it out and see if I really want to go or if something better comes along, or if their latest album grew on me any more

Offline briscoetheque

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • R-E-S-T-E-C-P
« Reply #62 on: November 17, 2009, 04:21:12 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
(it's also a joke they skipped Nor. Cal on this leg, but that's a story for another time)

Perhaps a time when the rest of the world has seen this show?

Perhaps a time when you're not upset about being left off a leg of a tour when entire regions of the world... Asia (ex Japan), for example... have been left off the touring schedule for 25 years...

Fair dinkum some people are spoilt.

I'm spoilt. I've seen the show. i chose to spend the cash to get to the US, but as mbeano stated... it's a luxury.

But I'm hardly going to complain that it took U2 12 minutes more than it should have to announce a show in my front yard...

Although they haven't announced it yet...

Offline markreed

• Numb
« Reply #63 on: November 17, 2009, 06:47:37 AM »
WIth 1300 full length shows, and 685 in the US, I think it's obvious the US gets spoilt by comparison.

Offline emuhunter

• Refugee
« Reply #64 on: November 17, 2009, 01:50:56 PM »
WIth 1300 full length shows, and 685 in the US, I think it's obvious the US gets spoilt by comparison.

I completely agree. As an American who lives in the Salt Lake City area, I had the "burden" of driving about 8-10 hours to go to Phoenix, Las Vegas, or Los Angeles. Sure, I wish Rice-Eccles stadium (at the University of Utah, where I go to school) was a chosen venue (like it was on Popmart) so I wouldn't have had to drive 8 hours to Vegas. I could've WALKED to the show that way!!

Come ON!! I had the option of 3 SHOWS that I could've gone to... We Americans are incredibly spoiled!! I wouldn't be surprised to find that the vast majority of people complaining about this are Americans.

Offline Evil Bono

• Numb
« Reply #65 on: November 18, 2009, 12:59:09 AM »
I don't understand the uproar on tickets going on sale 9 months before the show. I would think that people would have more time planning, getting hotel rooms, saving up for gas money, etc.  I DO understand how some would be angry that the tickets went on sale a few days AFTER the announcement of the sale.  At least with Vertigo there was a few weeks of saving up after the announcement was made.     This isn't a surprise for me since the tickets for Vertigo's third leg went on sale while I was at the San Jose show!   

Offline Nielsen

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • The Edge is on fire
« Reply #66 on: November 18, 2009, 05:51:20 AM »
Funny considering the U.S. gets more dates than Ireland (despite the size of the countries). If anything, U2 should be playing Ireland every week!

Offline nolinehere

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #67 on: November 18, 2009, 06:24:11 PM »
the TOUR hasn't made a profit, but U2 is being paid nightly.

They'll make more per member per night than most will in a year.

Don't know what it is now but back in ZooTV their appearance fee was over $100K per night, each.

I would LOVE to see a source cited for this, because I highly doubt this is the case.

See old interviews with Adam Clayton's roadie at the time of ZooTV when he filled in. He got Adam's paycheck that night. All that was said was that it was a 6-figure amount. May have been in Spin magazine but I don't remember exactly.

Or do you think they don't get paid ? How naive.

The Eagles got over a million for a Corporate party recently, how much do you think U2 is going to get nightly - I'd bet a lot more than the Eagles !

Offline Starfish

• Acrobat
  • Yay, it's Larry!!!
« Reply #68 on: November 18, 2009, 06:51:58 PM »
As opposed to diluted greed?

;D

Offline emuhunter

• Refugee
« Reply #69 on: November 18, 2009, 10:30:56 PM »
the TOUR hasn't made a profit, but U2 is being paid nightly.

They'll make more per member per night than most will in a year.

Don't know what it is now but back in ZooTV their appearance fee was over $100K per night, each.

I would LOVE to see a source cited for this, because I highly doubt this is the case.

See old interviews with Adam Clayton's roadie at the time of ZooTV when he filled in. He got Adam's paycheck that night. All that was said was that it was a 6-figure amount. May have been in Spin magazine but I don't remember exactly.

Or do you think they don't get paid ? How naive.

The Eagles got over a million for a Corporate party recently, how much do you think U2 is going to get nightly - I'd bet a lot more than the Eagles !

Haha no no, I was quite confident that they got paid. I've worked for a record label so I understand the basic ins and outs of music business.

I bring your attention to this quote from a recent MSN article:

"U2 spent so much that at the end of that tour, which came on the heels of an album that had sold 14 million copies, Mullen remembered walking away with about $20,000.

Five years later, the band took even bigger financial risks with the exponentially more elaborate Zoo TV tour.

When they planned the first leg of the tour, they didn't know if ticket or album sales would be strong enough to pay for more than a couple of months' worth of shows; if attendance had been even slightly down, U2 would have ended the tour bankrupt.

Instead, they toured for more than a year and ended up making money, though not nearly as much as they could have with a simpler show. Before the 157th and final show of that tour, Mullen addressed the topic with writer Bill Flanagan. "In comparison to a lot of people in our position, we don't make a lot of money, but that's irrelevant," he said.

"In the end it's investing in our future. Not in our future financially, in our future musically -- cause at the end of the day that's what it's all about."

Each member of the band walked away with $20,000 at the END of the Joshua Tree tour. Put into 2009 prices (calculating for an estimated 87.28% interest from December 1987 since the tour ended on December 20th, 1987), that's $37, 456.

Again, I ask: where is your source? I Googled it and I didn't find anything that I felt substantiated the claim your making. If you can point me in the direction of a link I'd really appreciate it.

Offline sheisraging

• Babyface
  • I'm hatching some plot, scheming some scheme.....
« Reply #70 on: November 18, 2009, 11:46:58 PM »
Last tour they put tickets on sale for December shows in March. Nothing new here.

Offline markreed

• Numb
« Reply #71 on: November 19, 2009, 03:48:11 AM »
It's not about how much they 'walk away' with. if I remember correctly, the band have long been employees of a business called Not Us Ltd, which employs U2, and the band are paid salaries out of that. They are very financially savvy, and have a lot of financial instruments at their disposal to maximise their income in less obvious ways, such as

- offsetting unpaid royalties for a large chunk of Island stock, making them multimillionaires when Island was sold
- investing $15m in U23D to gain patent control over new 3D camera technology
- Elevation Partners for video games etc
- property deals etc
- investing large chunks of their salaries into "Rattle & Hum" which they then sold to Paramount (if they hadn't done that I dare say the "walk away" money from the 1987 tour would've been in excess of 1m)

Let us not forget that U2 pay their crew well and look after them to generate loyalty, high morale, and better performance.

I remember reading that, in 2007, the prinicple U2 organisation lost approx. 17k overall on accounts, but side-organisations and subsidaries made several million. It's all about the accounting.