Author Topic: PURE GREED  (Read 6719 times)

Offline scrappy16

• Stranger in a Strange Land
PURE GREED
« on: November 12, 2009, 10:19:06 AM »
Does it bother anyone else that tickets are put on sale Nine months before the show?  Has anyone calculated the interest  earned on this ?   Maybe a donation to Africa would be in order.   Nine months???? .... Preposterous

Boom Cha!

Re: PURE GREED
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2009, 10:23:41 AM »
I think it's kinda ridiculous how early they went on sale. I wasn't too prepared, but I still got my tickets. I would've rather waited until January, or sometime closer to July.

Offline EdgeFest [Zenmaster360]

• Airborne Ranger
  • My blog: mrstheedge.com
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2009, 10:27:16 AM »
I'm getting tickets to my shows now... but I'm some kinda ticked about it.  REALLY taxing my finances right now.  In fact, I had to buy tickets for a show while I was in Vancouver for the last show.

That still blows my mind.

Offline Joe G (Love You Like Mad Magazine)

• Precious Stone
  • 2 souls 2 cool 2 B in the realm of certainty
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2009, 10:29:56 AM »
As opposed to diluted greed?

Offline scrappy16

« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2009, 10:34:29 AM »
This is why I went from being as big of a fanatic as possible from the mid 80's  till  2005.  It has all become a very calculated money grab.  Bono can   no longer sing.....this is why the show is all about the stage.....and Bono can no longer do more than two shows a week.  This is why  you are subject to stadium shows,  which are awful   compared to  an arena with decent accoustics.

Offline jrnyc

• Wanderer
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2009, 10:37:22 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Does it bother anyone else that tickets are put on sale Nine months before the show?  Has anyone calculated the interest  earned on this ?   Maybe a donation to Africa would be in order.   Nine months???? .... Preposterous

Yep, it bothers me alot !!! It used to be 2 or 3 months, then they stretched it to 5 months, now 9 months is absolutley ridiculous. Other then a pure money grab by getting 100's of millions of dollars up front, I cant think of any other rational reason for this. If they need to plan a tour that far in advance, so be it, but no reason to sell tickets that far in advance.

I have seen every U2 tour since 87, saw two shows at The Meadowlands in September, but I have not bought tickets for the show in July. No way in hell buying tickets that far in advance. There are still plenty of seats available for that show, so I am not alone.

• Airborne Ranger
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2009, 10:37:37 AM »
This is why I went from being as big of a fanatic as possible from the mid 80's  till  2005.  It has all become a very calculated money grab.  Bono can   no longer sing.....this is why the show is all about the stage.....and Bono can no longer do more than two shows a week.  This is why  you are subject to stadium shows,  which are awful   compared to  an arena with decent accoustics.

I don't agree that Bono can't SING.  I listened to him for 10 hours this year and he sounded great.  He'll never have the JT voice back but he's still fantastic.

Did you go to 360?
« Last Edit: November 12, 2009, 10:50:10 AM by EdgeFest »

Offline U2Crush

• Wanderer
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2009, 10:42:53 AM »
If the tickets went on sale a week before the shows people would complain about not having the money.....

;)

Offline scrappy16

« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2009, 10:43:25 AM »
Can't sing is incorrect.......  cannot sing at all like he used to is what I mean.  Drop in a Zoo t.v video, or rattle and humm vid......no comparison.
 I saw   360 on you tube...   could not bear to watch  after a few songs.

Boom Cha!

« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2009, 10:44:33 AM »
Can't sing is incorrect.......  cannot sing at all like he used to is what I mean.  Drop in a Zoo t.v video, or rattle and humm vid......no comparison.

You can't compare youtube to actually being there.

I saw them on this tour and they were amazing.

• Airborne Ranger
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2009, 10:51:04 AM »

You can't compare youtube to actually being there.

I saw them on this tour and they were amazing.

x2

Offline m2

• Administrator
  • Desert Rose
  • I love the smell of fresh forum killspam.
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2009, 10:59:23 AM »
Pretty sure you can buy Broadway tickets for shows that are 8-9 months away. Sports teams start selling season tickets for the NEXT year before the current year is over. Does it bother me? No. Seems a bit odd, but apparently it's fairly normal outside the US for concert tickets to be sold far in advance - someone mentioned that in a different thread. Live Nation obviously has budget requirements that need to be met and so tickets are getting sold now.

Don't see the big deal, really. None of the shows are sold out (despite what they say) and tickets should be pretty easy to get for the next 8-9 months as the shows approach. Just stick around the forum and join some mailing lists and you'll see all kinds of alerts from fans whenever more tickets show up on Ticketmaster for allegedly "sold out" shows.

This is why  you are subject to stadium shows,  which are awful   compared to  an arena with decent accoustics.

See, this is where not having seen a show in person really kills your argument. The sound at the four shows I saw was perfect. Best sound I've ever heard at ANY concert, including little club shows where you're 15 feet from the artist on stage.

Seems the only places having questionable sound are the indoor domes with the echo they produce.

Offline Joe G (Love You Like Mad Magazine)

• Precious Stone
  • 2 souls 2 cool 2 B in the realm of certainty
« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2009, 11:16:53 AM »
Best show I've ever seen soundwise----U2 360, Rose Bowl

Worst show I've ever seen soundwise--U2 Vertigo, San Diego Sports Arena

Offline mtl_11

• Refugee
  • beaten and blown by the wind
« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2009, 12:23:21 PM »

its amazing when you watch rattle and hum and hear him sing running to stand still. what a clean, pure and strong voice he had. 

Offline jfp612

• Wanderer
« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2009, 12:57:27 PM »
Selling tickets now for a concert seven months away doesn't bother me.  I heard an ad on the radio for a Bon Jovi concert in Foxborough in July 2010 so U2 aren't the only ones selling tickets ahead of time.  Maybe they're hoping for Christmas sales?

What does bother me is selling tickets before they've announced the entire tour schedule.  I skipped the NYC presale and am now hoping they add a Foxborough date.