Author Topic: a point about revisionist u2  (Read 3441 times)

Offline miami

• Desert Rose
  • here comes the car chase!
a point about revisionist u2
« on: November 17, 2009, 07:51:25 AM »
i have a documentary about the making of the POP album from which i blow the cobwebs every now and then. in it, larry has a few interesting things to say. he states, "we always set out to make the best album we can possibly make, and as regards this one, we think it's right up there with achtung baby and zooropa".

other members of the band such as bono state that it is a "heady cocktail". this was during the promotion process of the album.

if you compare these statements to the ones which were conveyed in the book u2 by u2, chalk and cheese come to mind. revisionism kicks in and they maul the album.

i loved the album, u2 obviously hated it. u2 were obviously putting some spin on their comments, as they all despised the pop project, so i will never trust what they say about a forthcoming album again (see: how they described htdaab and nloth before their releases).

another thing, i will never trust their judgement either, as pop is one of their finest.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2009, 08:09:16 AM by miami »

Offline Van the Man Fan

• Party Girl/Boy
Re: a point about revisionist u2
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2009, 08:39:14 AM »
Ya, this was discussed in another thread too.  I especially will never trust anything Bono says about their albums before they are released again. 

Offline Joe G (Love You Like Mad Magazine)

• Precious Stone
  • 2 souls 2 cool 2 B in the realm of certainty
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2009, 08:43:45 AM »
I have to agree about the POP backpedal; it bothers me that they distance themselves from it now.  However, in regards to pre-album hype, everyone does it and it definitely should be taken with a grain of salt. Ian Mcculloch called "The Fountain" Echo's best album since "Ocean Rain". It's not.

Offline Mr. T

• Staring at the Sun
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2009, 08:49:02 AM »
They began the revision with the singles. Rerecords of "Please" & "Last Nite On Earth" hardly speak to
their confidence in that album's material.

Offline Stoker

• Wanderer
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2009, 08:53:57 AM »
The artist and the critic are a different species altogether. Sometimes they may co-exist in the same body, but such accidents rarely end well, with the relationship usually taking  a vampiric course. It's no coincidence the band looked palest during the early part of this decade; they bled themselves dry with apologies. All that you can't bleed behind and how to dismantle an atomic bloodletting...keep those bloodsuckers away from our newest horizon.

Offline Mr. T

• Staring at the Sun
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2009, 09:11:07 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
It's no coincidence the band looked palest during the early part of this decade; they bled themselves dry with apologies.

As well they should. It's a poor & trendy record. Songs took a backseat to trendy production and flashy presentation.

Offline Bads316

• Elevated
  • Ain't nothin' but a muffin
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2009, 10:11:56 AM »
The band distancing themselves from Pop was at the same time they were selling a 'back to basics' record. They turned the criticisms of Pop into a reason to buy ATYCLB - it was smart.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2009, 10:15:10 AM by Bads316 »

Offline EdgeUK8_my_mind

• Desert Rose
  • I need you to elevate me here
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2009, 09:18:57 PM »
The band distancing themselves from Pop was at the same time they were selling a 'back to basics' record. They turned the criticisms of Pop into a reason to buy ATYCLB - it was smart.

I agree wholeheartedly with this comment.  Their dissatisfaction with either Pop itself or the lack of stadium sellouts caused the change, but they used that to reinvent themselves and sell records.  I kind of like the back to basics approach and the back to basics stage show that followed was one of my all time favorites.

I think that some of the band's apparent dissatisfaction (for lack of a better term) with NLOTH at the moment (we released the wrong 1st single, we are dissatisfied with the sales, etc.) reflects that none of the current songs became the type of single that Beautiful Day and Vertigo did.  Rather than treat that with revisionist history, I would hope that they embrace the fact that they made an amazing album (a dying concept) that went #1 in many countries and sold over 3.8 million copies worldwide.

Boom Cha!

« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2009, 10:12:15 PM »
It's no coincidence the band looked palest during the early part of this decade; they bled themselves dry with apologies.

As well they should. It's a poor & trendy record. Songs took a backseat to trendy production and flashy presentation.

You should try listening to the lyrics.

Offline Yukona [The League of Extraordinary Bonopeople]

• Staring at the Sun
  • too much is not enough
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2009, 11:27:38 PM »
Has anyone considered that U2's opinion towards Pop might genuinely have changed? Here's an example. A few weeks back I wrote and recorded a song that I thought was the best in my (admittedly small) catalogue. When I let a friend listen to it, however, he had quite a few criticisms about it: Too slow, mundane chord changes, boring melody, overly sentimental lyrics. The criticisms were hard to take but he was right, now when I look back at the song I see the things he sees. Sometimes artists' opinions DO change. It's not blasphemy, you know. 

Offline Bads316

• Elevated
  • Ain't nothin' but a muffin
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2009, 02:37:07 AM »

You should try listening to the lyrics.

Yeah, if anything its the production and presentation that took a back seat to the songs.

Offline miami

• Desert Rose
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2009, 03:23:14 AM »
Has anyone considered that U2's opinion towards Pop might genuinely have changed? Here's an example. A few weeks back I wrote and recorded a song that I thought was the best in my (admittedly small) catalogue. When I let a friend listen to it, however, he had quite a few criticisms about it: Too slow, mundane chord changes, boring melody, overly sentimental lyrics. The criticisms were hard to take but he was right, now when I look back at the song I see the things he sees. Sometimes artists' opinions DO change. It's not blasphemy, you know. 

that's quite a fickle attitude to making music. if you believe in what you're writing and believe the end product is good, then you should stand by what you have written. if your opinion changes because of someone else's ears, that doesn't bode too well for future projects. it seems you will be constantly criticising and developing your own music through other people's ears. maybe some will argue that's what happened to u2 circa atyclb/htdaab. authenticity is needed when making music.

on the other hand, maybe u2 didn't feel authentic when making POP. who knows ;D

Offline Stateless_Passenger

• Stateless
  • "Don't want to change the frame..."
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2009, 04:54:08 AM »
Maybe they associate that era of not selling enough = not a very good record. Which is nonsense tbh.

If anything POP is more relevent now than it ever has been. I wish they play some of the song live again...

Offline miami

• Desert Rose
« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2009, 08:20:54 AM »
They began the revision with the singles. Rerecords of "Please" & "Last Nite On Earth" hardly speak to
their confidence in that album's material.

those adjustments to a couple of their singles were very minor indeed and basically smoothed over the "unfinished" aspects from the album versions. on the other hand, the changes to discotheque and gone on the greatest hits album, which they tweaked much later, were wholesale. that was when they realised america didn't "get" the concept of POP and therefore decided to replace these 2 classic songs with bastardised, mutated, boring replacement versions. 

Offline miami

• Desert Rose
« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2009, 08:27:13 AM »
The artist and the critic are a different species altogether. Sometimes they may co-exist in the same body, but such accidents rarely end well, with the relationship usually taking  a vampiric course. It's no coincidence the band looked palest during the early part of this decade; they bled themselves dry with apologies. All that you can't bleed behind and how to dismantle an atomic bloodletting...keep those bloodsuckers away from our newest horizon.

with your numerous references to vampires and the username "stoker", u fond of blood? ;D