Author Topic: Boots Spoiler?  (Read 18621 times)

Offline soloyan

• Staring at the Sun
  • A dangerous idea that almost makes sense
Re: Boots Spoiler?
« Reply #45 on: January 17, 2009, 01:08:24 AM »
I'd say Discothèque (guitars) meets Miami (drums on the second part) but Bono's never sounded like that before.

This is the real thing.

Offline TheFlyingLemon

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
« Reply #46 on: January 17, 2009, 01:31:23 AM »
That rough sounding riff is perfection to me, sounds like they're takin' risks again.  8)

Offline new years dave

• Stranger in a Strange Land
« Reply #47 on: January 17, 2009, 01:45:56 AM »
"I've got a submarine
You've got gasoline
I don't wanna talk about war between nations
Calling out
(Sexy boots)
Get on get on...."

That's the lyrics I hear.

Offline Bono in Bonolands

• Numb
« Reply #48 on: January 17, 2009, 02:12:43 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
"I've got a submarine
You've got gasoline
I don't wanna talk about war between nations
Calling out
(Sexy boots)
Get on get on...."

That's the lyrics I hear.

you are correct.... ;D

the second clip is "let me hear the sound. let me hear the sound..."

there is no guarantee that both are "Get on Ya Boots"

The second clip might be from one of the other songs on the album.

Offline Alex

• Wanderer
« Reply #49 on: January 17, 2009, 02:24:11 AM »
Actually I think it's awesome. Yes low quality but i got my fix for the weekend :D

Let me see those who don't want to hear it refrain now! :D

• Numb
« Reply #50 on: January 17, 2009, 02:27:12 AM »
"I've got a submarine.."

that is the most overtly sexual lyric Bono has ever used...

AND I LOVE IT!!!

Offline padrepio

• Wanderer
« Reply #51 on: January 17, 2009, 03:18:50 AM »
does sound very vertigo, never really been a fan of their choice of first single on new albums, discoteque,vertigo,etc.they always bring out a fast track as if they are trying to prove they are still hip. Last time there was a slow first single was WOWY in 87.
We will probably discover in the due course of time that "Boots" will be one of the weaker tracks on the album.

• Numb
« Reply #52 on: January 17, 2009, 03:36:44 AM »
We will probably discover in the due course of time that "Boots" will be one of the weaker tracks on the album.

If that is the case, it will be an awesome album. :)

we still have either the 7 minute or 9 minute version of Moment of Surrender to look forward to.

Offline singnomore

• Administrator
  • Airborne Ranger
  • These city lights, they shine as silver and gold
« Reply #53 on: January 17, 2009, 06:38:21 AM »
Its ounds kinda punky to me - vertigo in terms of lyric style but musically (and it could be the recording obviously) rough - great rough!

Offline macmango

• Stateless
« Reply #54 on: January 17, 2009, 08:28:23 AM »
fly * vertigo / fast cars = u2

Offline ZooTV8

• Stateless
« Reply #55 on: January 17, 2009, 11:10:55 AM »
GET YOUR BOOTS ON: Like several songs off of the previous album, the new single off of the new U2 album, "Get Your Boots On," does not (yet) sound 100% original.  For example, “City of Lights” was a blatant rip off of U2 themselves ("Streets"), and “Because of You” was (acknowledged by Bono) to be directly influenced by The Who (primarily "Substitute"). 

I would like to hear a pristine version of the entire song, because, right now, the available clips sound like and make me “mash up” the music and lyrics from Elvis Costello’s “Pump It Up” and David Bowie’s “Blue Jean” (as well as elements of Bowie’s Eddie Cochran-influenced song “Jean Jeanie”).  Important to note, though, that “Blue Jean” was not produced by Brian Eno; the song was produced by Bowie, Hugh Padgham, and Derek Bramble.  Remember, too, U2 has long had an affinity for Eddie Cochran songs, including a performance of “C’mon Everybody” at the Self Aid concert. 

Hopefully the first single is not the best song on the album, like other lead off tracks, e.g., “Without You,” “Desire,” “Fly,” “Disco,” “Beautiful Day,” and “Vertigo” were not the highlights of their respective albums. 

It has been interesting to see the ebb and flow of comparisons by different music critics, initially comparing the experimentation of the new album to “The Unforgettable Fire;” then launching in to how “No Line On The Horizon” is more experimental –akin to “Achtung Baby;” and finally, Neil McCormick stating that the forthcoming LP is the album the “Zooropa” could have been… 

We’ll see. 

Lance A. Schart
ZooTV8@yahoo.com
Libertyville, IL USA

Offline spanner

• Numb
« Reply #56 on: January 17, 2009, 11:26:35 AM »
well im going to refrain from listening to any snippets ,where you can't make a proper judgement because its not that clear and just hold out til monday where i can listen to it in full and get my own impressions of the song!

• Numb
« Reply #57 on: January 17, 2009, 02:48:21 PM »
I gotta submarine, you've got gasoline...

Get on Ya Boots...

Is anyone like me and worried that this song might become a homosexual anthem. No that there is anything wrong with that but everytime that U2 has strayed into the area of suggestive lyrics, it has been very kitsch. I just think that U2 may have finally "jumped the shark". The homosexual community is going to love this song and the whole of the U2 phenomenon might become very camp as it didaround the time of Discotheque and the ill-advised Village People impersonations. I just think such a move might be too out of the ordinary and might see the wholesome image of U2 absolutely destroyed.

It may very well go the wrong way for the boys.

Offline Evil Bono

• Numb
« Reply #58 on: January 17, 2009, 02:56:06 PM »
Where did you get that idea????

Offline Joe90usa

• Airborne Ranger
  • Dragons Rule! Catfish Drool.
« Reply #59 on: January 17, 2009, 02:56:21 PM »
I gotta submarine, you've got gasoline...

Get on Ya Boots...

Is anyone like me and worried that this song might become a homosexual anthem. No that there is anything wrong with that but everytime that U2 has strayed into the area of suggestive lyrics, it has been very kitsch. I just think that U2 may have finally "jumped the shark". The homosexual community is going to love this song and the whole of the U2 phenomenon might become very camp as it didaround the time of Discotheque and the ill-advised Village People impersonations. I just think such a move might be too out of the ordinary and might see the wholesome image of U2 absolutely destroyed.

It may very well go the wrong way for the boys.

Based on an out-of-context snippet of lyrics? No, I'm not worried. I think we are over-analyzing this thing and losing the ability to just enjoy it.