Author Topic: Boots Spoiler?  (Read 18616 times)

Offline Mr. T

• Staring at the Sun
Re: Boots Spoiler?
« Reply #60 on: January 17, 2009, 03:00:09 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I gotta submarine, you've got gasoline...

Get on Ya Boots...

Is anyone like me and worried that this song might become a homosexual anthem. No that there is anything wrong with that but everytime that U2 has strayed into the area of suggestive lyrics, it has been very kitsch. I just think that U2 may have finally "jumped the shark". The homosexual community is going to love this song and the whole of the U2 phenomenon might become very camp as it didaround the time of Discotheque and the ill-advised Village People impersonations. I just think such a move might be too out of the ordinary and might see the wholesome image of U2 absolutely destroyed.

It may very well go the wrong way for the boys.

WTF?

Offline Alex

• Wanderer
« Reply #61 on: January 17, 2009, 03:12:00 PM »

Get on Ya Boots...

Is anyone like me and worried that this song might become a homosexual anthem. No that there is anything wrong with that but everytime that U2 has strayed into the area of suggestive lyrics, it has been very kitsch. I just think that U2 may have finally "jumped the shark". The homosexual community is going to love this song and the whole of the U2 phenomenon might become very camp as it didaround the time of Discotheque and the ill-advised Village People impersonations. I just think such a move might be too out of the ordinary and might see the wholesome image of U2 absolutely destroyed.

WTF?

wtf is well said  ???

Offline Ultraviolet [ACAAs Polisher of Shiny PopMart Basses]

• Child of Grace
  • Babe, it must be art!
« Reply #62 on: January 17, 2009, 03:20:51 PM »
I'm still waiting for Monday... Albeit, I'm waiting very impatiently!

Offline Bono in Bonolands

• Numb
« Reply #63 on: January 17, 2009, 03:37:32 PM »
Get On Ya Boots can be contrued as very kitsch..

You look at all the times that U2 has gone over the line on that - All through Pop. As soon as the discotheque video came out, U2 were on the nose. They were rejected by the community as having gone too far. U2 is not a GLAM band. And the essence of Get on Ya Boots... is all  the spirit of GLAM rock.

"I don't want to talk about wars between the nations.."

That has been the essence of your work for 30 years Bono.

Do you not remember Sunday Bloody Sunday and even the "Coexist ideal" program from the last tour.

I just hope that U2 are not going too much the other way and too camp. Because every time they have in their careers, it has worked against them.

This song from the 30 seconds is philosophically a big step for U2 as far as the suggestive nature of the lyrics.

Does the world want to see a slightly over weight, greying Irish singer who looks about 50 and has been married for 30 years talking about sex and being overtly suggestive?

It is a big step out there onto the plank with plenty of sharks in the bay and no way back.

Offline Ultraviolet [ACAAs Polisher of Shiny PopMart Basses]

• Child of Grace
  • Babe, it must be art!
« Reply #64 on: January 17, 2009, 03:40:36 PM »

I can see your point, but if that's the only thing you talked about for 30 years, wouldn't you want to change the subject every once in a while?  :)

Offline Mr. T

• Staring at the Sun
« Reply #65 on: January 17, 2009, 03:43:37 PM »
Get On Ya Boots can be contrued as very kitsch..

You look at all the times that U2 has gone over the line on that - All through Pop. As soon as the discotheque video came out, U2 were on the nose. They were rejected by the community as having gone too far. U2 is not a GLAM band. And the essence of Get on Ya Boots... is all  the spirit of GLAM rock.

Do you not remember Sunday Bloody Sunday and even the "Coexist ideal" program from the last tour.

I just hope that U2 are not going too much the other way and too camp. Because every time they have in their careers, it has worked against them.

This song from the 30 seconds is philosophically a big step for U2 as far as the suggestive nature of the lyrics.

Does the world want to see a slightly over weight, greying Irish singer who looks about 50 and has been married for 30 years talking about sex and being overtly suggestive?

It is a big step out there onto the plank with plenty of sharks in the bay and no way back.

But such is the nature of being an artist, or even a human being. Moods and feelings change like the wind.

Monday I might be serious and dower. And Tuesday I might be amorous and joking. Yet I'm still the same person. One doesn't invalidate the other.

They make you whole.

Offline evel12314

• Elevated
  • Squeeze out sparks of light.
« Reply #66 on: January 17, 2009, 03:44:49 PM »

I do.

Offline torontohorizon

• Stateless
« Reply #67 on: January 17, 2009, 03:55:31 PM »
In response to Mr.T,  I would have to say Pop is the best Album has produced ever!  They haven't come close to topping that yet...Anyways,  I want U2 to give me something I can dance to ;D

Offline kale

• Refugee
« Reply #68 on: January 17, 2009, 04:05:32 PM »

Get on Ya Boots...

Do you really think that a few lines of a song will totally ruining u2's reputation? as appose to them dressing up like the village people in discotheque?
You cant get any more camp than that and did it really do any damage at all???
most people saw it for what it was tongue firmly in cheek!!!!!!!!
« Last Edit: January 17, 2009, 04:48:20 PM by kale »

Offline kale

• Refugee
« Reply #69 on: January 17, 2009, 04:17:35 PM »
And just to get back on topic, get on your boots full version was posted on youtube but subsequently taken off.

Offline Bono in Bonolands

• Numb
« Reply #70 on: January 17, 2009, 04:47:59 PM »
Look at the distance in philosophy between HTDAAB and NLOTH.

Look at the song, A Man and a Woman.

True love never can be rent
But only true love can keep beauty innocent

I could never take a chance
Of losing love to find romance
In the mysterious distance
Between a man and a woman

The soul needs beauty for a soul mate
When the soul wants...the soul waits ...

This is the essence of U2 and the idea of love as spiritualism. It is the essence that can be traced in all their music all the way back to Boy. It is something that we as fans have come to accept and love them for. The only time they really stepped out of that was during the failed Discotheque period which basically saw them go from the biggest band in the world to the band that was most laughed at. The whole op tour, wether you like it or not descended into farce. No matter how good the music was, it became secondary to that whole ideal from the film clip of Discotheque.

Now we have Bono talking about his anatomy and calling it a SUBMARINE!

This is anti-everything that U2 have tried to harvest over 30 years in the industry.

It is a huge step esp. at the age of 50.

Young bands talk about SEX, older bands talk about LOVE.

But all of a sudden after 30 years, we have this provocative song about getting on your boots and it is not a place that I can think U2 have gone ever before.

The industry can turn quickly and it has turned on U2 before through the whole of Pop which really isn't a bad album but was absolutely hated by the industry.

I just hope that U2 can pull off sexual innuendo as greying 50 year old men when they should be further enhancing their reputations for spiritualism.

Offline Sheworelemon

• Babyface
  • Lookin for to save my, save my soul!
« Reply #71 on: January 17, 2009, 04:53:34 PM »

I just hope that U2 can pull off sexual innuendo as greying 50 year old men when they should be further enhancing their reputations for spiritualism.

You may have a point there Bono in Bonolands. But they do need to take a risk and make a change, commercial failure or not.

Boom Cha!

« Reply #72 on: January 17, 2009, 04:55:57 PM »

Get on Ya Boots...

Well, being a homosexual I really don't understand how these lyrics have anything to do with being gay.

And God forbid that gay people might enjoy U2's music! We would hate to destroy U2's image. Please.... ::)

Offline odelay

• Babyface
« Reply #73 on: January 17, 2009, 04:58:50 PM »
Is anyone like me and worried that this song might become a homosexual anthem.

HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA.  Ha.  Oh dear, this just made my day.  Oh sweet jesus.  [gasps for air]  Haaaaaaaaaaaahaaa.  [keels over]

Offline kale

• Refugee
« Reply #74 on: January 17, 2009, 05:03:16 PM »
well I'm a very heterosexual male and personally love the lyrics.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2009, 06:46:58 PM by Joe90usa »