Author Topic: Boots Spoiler?  (Read 18615 times)

Offline evel12314

• Elevated
  • Squeeze out sparks of light.
Re: Boots Spoiler?
« Reply #75 on: January 17, 2009, 05:19:04 PM »
The question is, because they are moving in to their middle age, should U2 start recording slower-tempo, sentimental songs, with no abrasive sounds or controversial themes? Should they play it safe just because they are aging?

The answer: No way in hell. They will, as they have always done, continue to "abuse their position and f**k up the mainstream." That is what makes them U2. Their style is to reinvent themselves, take risks, change their musical direction, shock people, and screw with everyone's minds. Trying to maintain a single image is the opposite of everything they've ever done.

Just a couple days ago I read a thread about how their new album would be too safe. Now apparently it's not safe enough. We haven't even heard it yet!

Horizon is supposedly the Achtung Baby to Bomb's Joshua Tree. Remember that first huge reinvention? The Joshua Tree was huge, they were rock's hottest ticket, everyone loved it. What did they do? They "chopped down the Joshua Tree," turning everything upside down into the amazing psychosis of Achtung Baby and Zootv. The rest of the 90's was this crazy, out-there, experimental stuff. The chopped down that image too, and started building this "back-to-basics" approach. Now, they are reinventing themselves again. It's to expected - and welcomed.

Just because they're getting older doesn't mean they can't write sexual songs. There's no written law anywhere saying that they have to write spiritual love songs. They can write about whatever they damn well please. And we should be overjoyed that even into their 40s and 50s they still have the same incredible energy. The changes should be welcomed with respect, not apprehension.

InThisHeartland

« Reply #76 on: January 17, 2009, 05:34:18 PM »
Oh, snap!

Offline Ultraviolet [ACAAs Polisher of Shiny PopMart Basses]

• Child of Grace
  • Babe, it must be art!
« Reply #77 on: January 17, 2009, 05:35:54 PM »
Amen to that, Evel!

Offline Nagrom99

• Numb
  • I'm 25, trying to stay alive.....
« Reply #78 on: January 17, 2009, 05:48:30 PM »
Bonolands....you're reading too much into it.  Seriously.......are you being serious?

Revolver7

« Reply #79 on: January 17, 2009, 05:55:27 PM »
This is ridiculous...whether you're gay or straight has nothing to do with the music..good music is good music.

I'm straight..but I still love Queen and Elton John

Get Your Boots on doesn't have any gay references or lyrics...you probably just have a dirty mind and a vivd imagination

And also, I don't think Bono's looks determine what he can and can't sing about...

I agree with you 100% Evel!  8)
« Last Edit: January 17, 2009, 06:24:18 PM by Revolver7 »

Offline aarond

• Party Girl/Boy
  • What no man can own, no man can take.
« Reply #80 on: January 17, 2009, 06:07:19 PM »
So wait...what was the song "One" about again?

Revolver7

« Reply #81 on: January 17, 2009, 06:17:14 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

The song itself can be about a hundred different things...are you talking about the Anton Corbijn music video?

Offline u2boy11

• Headache in a Suitcase
  • Miss Holiday Golightly, Traveling.
« Reply #82 on: January 17, 2009, 06:30:20 PM »
Just because they're getting older doesn't mean they can't write sexual songs. There's no written law anywhere saying that they have to write spiritual love songs. They can write about whatever they damn well please. And we should be overjoyed that even into their 40s and 50s they still have the same incredible energy. The changes should be welcomed with respect, not apprehension.

Heck yes! I can't wait to see the boys shaking their sexy bodys! Bono's always said he's like wine...the older he gets, the better he tastes (looks, smells, etc.)! Every member of U2 is older than my parents and I think they are all either really cute (Edge!), super cool (Adam), smokin' hot (Larry) and magically delicious (Bono)!

If you are on the forum and you reall are afraid the next U2 album is not going to be up to par -- I think you have the wrong forum! Here's to 40 more years of sexual U2 songs!!!! ;D

Offline dirtdrybonesandstone

• Numb
« Reply #83 on: January 17, 2009, 06:33:57 PM »
And just to get back on topic, get on your boots full version was posted on youtube but subsequently taken off.

and?????????   Lets hear details.

Offline Bads316

• Elevated
  • Ain't nothin' but a muffin
« Reply #84 on: January 17, 2009, 06:38:43 PM »
I've only been gone a couple of hours, what the hells goin on? There's two sides to Bono - Saint and sinner, its been a while since we've see him don the proverbial horns, Im guessing that most people on here would welcome that. Lets get down and dirty!!!    
ITS ROCK 'N" ROLL FOR F@#KS SAKE! If anyone's embarrassed by sexual notions within U2s music then why now? Its always been there and always will be - 'touch me, take me to that other place' its the devils music, hence the main reason why Bono considers himself to be a mass of contradictions.

Revolver7

« Reply #85 on: January 17, 2009, 06:40:10 PM »
Bring back The Fly, man!  8)

Offline Bads316

• Elevated
« Reply #86 on: January 17, 2009, 06:43:27 PM »
randy old Fly, hahaha.....wait wasnt that Macphisto?

Offline B

• Stateless
« Reply #87 on: January 17, 2009, 07:04:55 PM »
Greetings all, long-time reader, first-time poster under this guise.

I like the tone of Edge here, mostly. In no way, shape or form am I about to judge this clip and say it's not up to their standards. I can hear the point about, Picking up where Vertigo left off. This kind of disappoints me. I was hoping for something more solemn, less bubble-gum, dare I say.

Offline Bads316

• Elevated
« Reply #88 on: January 17, 2009, 07:12:52 PM »
Hi B, don't think the first single is a time to be solemn its a time for celebration and dance, Ive a feeling the album will more than fill everyones solemn quota - look at Pop! I remember the headline in Q for the review of Pop was 'BLEAK"

Offline aarond

• Party Girl/Boy
  • What no man can own, no man can take.
« Reply #89 on: January 17, 2009, 07:34:21 PM »

The song itself can be about a hundred different things...are you talking about the Anton Corbijn music video?

Not the video, but you nailed my point. U2 is great because they know how to make the music you are looking for. If you are gay and look for a song to rally around, they have some. If you are christian, they have "drawn their fish in the sand." If you are looking for something to rock, every album has at least one mega jam like vertigo or the fly. If you want something introspective, they have something like "in a little while." If you listen to them play songs in concert, they no how to spice them up or re-invent them. So I think worrying about what of their old music it will or won't sound like is a fool's errand. It will sound new, but still have a U2 core. It will have classic lyrics, but probably some crafty new ones too. I've been a U2 fan for years now, and each album when I hear the new single I always go "wtf!?" But thats why I love them, the old is new, and the core is always there.Is it MONDAY YET!?