Author Topic: U2 Taking Risks Again [ Glasto 2010]  (Read 5345 times)

Offline renno

• Headache in a Suitcase
U2 Taking Risks Again [ Glasto 2010]
« on: November 23, 2009, 10:17:05 AM »
Ive been to Glastonbury 3 times over the past few years.

A couple of points

The sound on the Pyramid Stage is awful and alot of bands have been slated due to the sound being really bad [ eg bruce this year] How will U2 over come this?

Will they be in charge of their own sound. Ive heard various rumours that the reason U2 havent done Glasto before is because they arent in charge of their own sound. It isnt the artists fault but they get the blame.

How will the crowd react to u2 and how will U2 react to the crowd?

Remember this isnt a u2 crowd that their use to playing too , this will be a mainly a young crowd where some people will hate the sight of bono and co. How will U2 react to this?  Ive been at glasto when bono has been seen on the video screens in charity adverts people literally boo when this happens.

Tickets are already sold out and id say the large majority of people going brought their ticket not expecting to see U2.

Why are U2 doing it?

It isnt for the money as they wont make hardly anything. The only thing i can think of is that their trying to appeal to the young generation again.

In the UK NLOTH has flopped big time , it may not even make the top 20 albums of the year list [record sales wise] For the first time in their career U2 are seen as a vintage act in the UK. Is playing Glasto a way of trying to be relevent again?

Glastonbury is live on tv in the uk so everyone will be watching.

This to me is U2 taking a big risk which could really damage their creditablity or put them on top of the charts again.

It will be an intresting weekend next June , im gutted i aint going [ its already sold out]

Can they pull it off????????????????????????????????

COURSE THEY F**KING CAN!

Offline eddyjedi

• Elevated
Re: U2 Taking Risks Again [GLASTO 2010]
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2009, 10:29:30 AM »
I think they are doing it because they want to
simple as. There are going to be some huge acts
alongside them. I was at glasto this year and
saw the boss' set, no sound problems whatsoever.
I'd bank on willie Williams taking control of
their set, I just hope they shake it up and blow
the roof off. Many of people my age (25) cannot
stand the sight of Bono, it will be interesting to see
the crowd reaction. The other thing is they are playing
on Friday, so they will either be something to remember
or overshadowed by some greatness on Saturday night.

Offline Joe G (Love You Like Mad Magazine)

• Precious Stone
  • 2 souls 2 cool 2 B in the realm of certainty
Re: U2 Taking Risks Again [ Glasto 2010]
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2009, 10:34:57 AM »
Anyone think they'll play NLOTH front to back?

Offline renno

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2009, 12:21:02 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

I dont think its just a simple as "they want to" because they could of played glasto any year at any time since 83 and they chose not too. They were nailed on headliners in 2005 but let Eavis down big time.

There in the middle of their USA tour aswell, they could quite easily of done it in 2011 but they do it next year,  theres got to be more to it and the recent flop of NLOTH  in the UK may be the cataylst of it in my opinion

Offline birdlover

• Child of Grace
  • It's not how weak but what will make you strong
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2009, 12:44:59 PM »
I think it great that they're doing it. I also think that those who have tickets and don't like U2

SHOULD SELL THEM TO U2 FANS!

I can't go, but I'd love for folks on here to be there and come back and tell us all about it.

Birdlover

Offline renno

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2009, 12:51:18 PM »
I think it great that they're doing it. I also think that those who have tickets and don't like U2

SHOULD SELL THEM TO U2 FANS!

I can't go, but I'd love for folks on here to be there and come back and tell us all about it.

Birdlover

i wish they could but every glastonbury tickets has a passport photo on of the buyer of the ticket

Offline TraKianLite/Zooropa

• Numb
  • The land was flat, the highway straight and wide.
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2009, 01:05:42 PM »
It'll almost certainly be on the BBC/iPlayer - true, not as good, but more practical than fence-jumping and cheaper than any other means, legit or otherwise.

Smee

« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2009, 01:08:02 PM »
it may not be a u2 crowd they will be playing to....but nobody will be forced to be watch them, so anyone thats on fornt of the stage will be there coz they wanna see u2. I think they will win a lot of new fans!

Offline renno

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2009, 01:53:45 PM »
It'll almost certainly be on the BBC/iPlayer - true, not as good, but more practical than fence-jumping and cheaper than any other means, legit or otherwise.

if it was still easy to get in glasto for free id be the first jumping the fence , sadly it isnt that easy anymore.

Offline renno

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2009, 01:55:40 PM »
it may not be a u2 crowd they will be playing to....but nobody will be forced to be watch them, so anyone thats on fornt of the stage will be there coz they wanna see u2. I think they will win a lot of new fans!

I was in the field before Jay-Z came on stage and i didnt want to be there , i was curious. That changed as soon as he came on , he blew the roof off and he aint really my thing.

There will be people there who are 50/50 and people there who hate them , its up to U2 to sell to them 8)

Offline Johnny Amsterdam

• Desert Rose
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2009, 01:57:57 PM »
They're not taking risks. No line sold badly and now they want to win their fans back, (damn they've been trying to win their fans back this whole decade it's getting really annoying)

Instead of making a really fearless kick-ass album they're only busy with obvious actions like this. It's getting really pathetic. WHAT ABOUT MAKING A DAMN GOOD AND BRILLIANT RECORD INSTEAD OF THE BLAND TRIPE THEY'VE BEEN MAKING THIS LAST DECADE.

Offline Johnny Amsterdam

• Desert Rose
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2009, 01:59:56 PM »

I was in the field before Jay-Z came on stage and i didnt want to be there , i was curious. That changed as soon as he came on , he blew the roof off and he aint really my thing.

There will be people there who are 50/50 and people there who hate them , its up to U2 to sell to them 8)
Playing pride, beautiful day and those safe tracks people have heard a 1000 times too much won't in nobody over. Play some lsser but kick ass songs will help believe me. But they've lost their balls a long time ago

Offline Joe G (Love You Like Mad Magazine)

• Precious Stone
  • 2 souls 2 cool 2 B in the realm of certainty
« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2009, 02:02:19 PM »
U2 will throw some surprises our way. I think Glastonbury will get a treat of the new SOA material, even if it hasn't been released yet. If U2 treats it like a showcase and plays their great new NLOTH material along with choice SOA cuts, should be awesome.

Smee

« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2009, 02:09:46 PM »
I think Glastonbury will get a treat of the new SOA material, even if it hasn't been released yet.

That would be musical suicide! As would be playing their normal nightly set. It will probably be a greatest hits package

Offline eddyjedi

• Elevated
« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2009, 02:11:51 PM »

I dont think its just a simple as "they want to" because they could of played glasto any year at any time since 83 and they chose not too. They were nailed on headliners in 2005 but let Eavis down big time.

There in the middle of their USA tour aswell, they could quite easily of done it in 2011 but they do it next year,  theres got to be more to it and the recent flop of NLOTH  in the UK may be the cataylst of it in my opinion

It is though, it's 40 years, it's a landmark year for the festival. They are the biggest band in the world and will be amongst other heavyweights. It's a special time and they want to make it historic.