Author Topic: U2 Taking Risks Again [ Glasto 2010]  (Read 5344 times)

Offline aurabender

• Numb
  • dressed up like a car crash
Re: U2 Taking Risks Again [GLASTO 2010]
« Reply #30 on: November 23, 2009, 05:10:32 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Ive been to Glastonbury 3 times over the past few years.

this will be a mainly a young crowd where some people will hate the sight of bono and co. How will U2 react to this?  Ive been at glasto when bono has been seen on the video screens in charity adverts people literally boo when this happens.

I will wager that these same people will be jumping up and down and rocking away when U2 takes the stage live.

Offline Twilight

• Babyface
Re: U2 Taking Risks Again [GLASTO 2010]
« Reply #31 on: November 23, 2009, 05:18:40 PM »
Ive been to Glastonbury 3 times over the past few years.

this will be a mainly a young crowd where some people will hate the sight of bono and co. How will U2 react to this?  Ive been at glasto when bono has been seen on the video screens in charity adverts people literally boo when this happens.

I will wager that these same people will be jumping up and down and rocking away when U2 takes the stage live.

Course they will, but I wouldnt agree its a mainly young crowd..I go every year and find there is a real mix of ages...many over 40s..also, the people that are not into them will be elsewhere at one of the many other stages.  Those that stay will be those that want to see them.  I plan to be as close as possible!

Offline m2

• Administrator
  • Desert Rose
  • I love the smell of fresh forum killspam.
Re: U2 Taking Risks Again [ Glasto 2010]
« Reply #32 on: November 23, 2009, 05:44:07 PM »
Two duplicate topics on this have been merged.

Warning: Drop the personal attacks and badgering of each other. If you have something new to say, say it respectfully. If you can't do that, we'll take appropriate action.

m2

Offline cathalmc

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #33 on: November 23, 2009, 07:53:36 PM »

U2 at Glasto has been one of my wee dreams too. Gotta get a ticket for it! They're gonna cause major ructions in the Pyramid Stage field!

Offline StrongGirl

• Genius of Compression
  • On BLS I heard the sound of an angel
« Reply #34 on: November 23, 2009, 09:36:50 PM »

U2 at Glasto has been one of my wee dreams too. Gotta get a ticket for it! They're gonna cause major ructions in the Pyramid Stage field!

You must go Cathal!!!

Offline U2Crush

• Wanderer
« Reply #35 on: November 23, 2009, 10:19:07 PM »
I think it great that they're doing it. I also think that those who have tickets and don't like U2

SHOULD SELL THEM TO U2 FANS!

I can't go, but I'd love for folks on here to be there and come back and tell us all about it.

Birdlover

i wish they could but every glastonbury tickets has a passport photo on of the buyer of the ticket

Wait what?  how long does it take to get those tickets printed?!

Do they really do that?  Wow.  what a smart way to avoid scalpers!!!

Offline briscoetheque

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • R-E-S-T-E-C-P
« Reply #36 on: November 24, 2009, 01:44:53 AM »
Yep. Read the glasto website, it's easier to get a passport, drivers licence and Social Security than to scalp a glasto ticket :-)

Offline Falling At Your Feet

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #37 on: November 24, 2009, 03:01:10 AM »
Glastonbury has been a bit of a pioneer in their proactive nature of their anti scalper stance.  They started a few years back where you had to have a utility bill or similar with your name on it, then they moved to photo ID, so unless you send in your photo in advance, you can't get any tickets.

For U2, this is a good risk to take. It will be good for them to play to a non U2 crowd. And it's been 25 years since they have done this.
While I am trying to get to this, it's going to be difficult to get tickets. But, I am really very happy to see them do this gig. It'll be a tough one for them to do, but I I am sure they will rise to the occasion. No Claw ! Willie Williams will be very busy on this one.

I thought it was very interesting that they are playing on the Friday night, which is the first night of the main stage. This gives them much, extra needed time to get the sound right, the stage right and iron out any potential problems. Much of Glastonbury is aired on BBC TV so most of us will get a chance to see them onstage.

Offline RevDerek

• Stranger in a Strange Land
« Reply #38 on: November 24, 2009, 04:04:26 AM »
I have to say as a long time UK fan that I'm hugely disappointed with U2 on this one. They are coming back to Europe but the only gig in UK/Ireland is for the Glasto crowd? So they will not be playing for the long-time fans, only the potential new fans.

At least it should be on telly. But why are they missing out their strongest fanbase in the world?

Offline Bads316

• Elevated
  • Ain't nothin' but a muffin
« Reply #39 on: November 24, 2009, 04:34:39 AM »
U2 are at their best with their backs against the wall - this is a huge moment for them. Its u2 as raw as your ever going to get them. I canny wait.

Prediction - the biggest crowd to ever gather at the pyramid stage.

Offline Belisama

• Original of the Species
« Reply #40 on: November 24, 2009, 05:42:36 AM »
Hmmm, I have MN tickets, wonder if the band would give me a ride abck and forth across the pond. . . .

Offline miami

• Desert Rose
  • here comes the car chase!
« Reply #41 on: November 24, 2009, 06:42:22 AM »
if they play out of control and until the end of the world, they will have the crowd in the palm of their hands. those songs are perfect for glastonbury and would win over any crowd.

Offline Bads316

• Elevated
  • Ain't nothin' but a muffin
« Reply #42 on: November 24, 2009, 07:01:46 AM »
if they play out of control and until the end of the world, they will have the crowd in the palm of their hands. those songs are perfect for glastonbury and would win over any crowd.

Yeah, fingers crossed they get played.

Offline cathalmc

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #43 on: November 24, 2009, 07:16:06 AM »

You must go Cathal!!!

See ya down the front :)

WRT setlists I think they really need to open with a classic tune that everyone knows like Vertigo to get the vast crowd jumping. Opening with something like Breathe wouldn't be so wise imo.

Offline Vervefloyd

• Refugee
« Reply #44 on: November 24, 2009, 07:39:48 AM »
finally U2 coming out of their element.  It's a risk I think U2 needed to take.  But with that being said this is not the mid 80's and I'm not sure U2 is this type of band.  Many people I know who respected U2 in the 80's and 90's think the band is a joke nothing more than recycling song after song now.  Sure they are selling out stadiums but with the commercial success they have for so long its not really that hard.  Playing to this current generation of 20 something kids and other festival crowd type people has to be scary for them.  Cause U2 picked up a lot of new fans in the 90's for being a little different and cool at times, I don't believe that has happened this decade.  I think some concerns for U2 will be a song like WOWY.  People at a normal U2 show generally love the song and casual U2 fans kinda miss that its being song like garbage.  But they paid to see U2 specifically.  but at a festival where fans may not like that side of U2 it may come often showing the band aging poorly.