Author Topic: why do so many people hate bono  (Read 14311 times)

Offline RunningtoStandstill (The League of Extraordinary BonoPeople)

• Airborne Ranger
  • There is no end to love.
Re: why do so many people hate bono
« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2009, 01:26:05 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
We love Bono!  :D

yes we do! *hugs imaginary bono*

Offline Inishfree

• Up With the Sun
« Reply #16 on: December 17, 2009, 10:43:57 AM »
I don't understand why some people hate him.  He seems to be a very likable guy.  Someone, who would be easy to talk to.  And not act like a "stuck up ass." 

ireland61290

« Reply #17 on: December 19, 2009, 01:17:17 AM »
Everyone has their own life agenda. Coupled with envy, they clash with Bono's ideals and what he believes.

Offline eddyjedi

• Elevated
« Reply #18 on: December 21, 2009, 10:05:16 AM »
Well he never shuts the hell up and it's got to saturation point. You'll find a lot of people who don't like Bono don't like the band either, there's no other band which draws such a love and hate divide than U2.

I do think Bono has got to the place of critical mass and before he explodes I think he needs to just get back to being a great songwriter first and foremost. I know it's that drive and determination that has got the band where it's got to but there's no need to go further than your reach.

virgin_prune

« Reply #19 on: April 06, 2010, 08:26:54 AM »
Bono's a sitting duck really. If he wasn't in U2 and behaved like he does in public life, everyone (including everyone here) would think he's an a**hole.

He's a great rock star. I don't know him personally so can't comment on the kind of human being he is. But, his public persona shows him as being an arrogant, self satisfied, self serving ego maniac - with a side helping of sycophancy.

Still, U2 have written some unbelievably good songs. Like I said, he's a great rock star. Just wish he'd keep his gob shut the rest of the time...

Offline Inishfree

• Up With the Sun
« Reply #20 on: April 07, 2010, 10:09:46 AM »
I did a google search and there are a lot of people.  Who really don't like Bono.  I don't think it is so much his music.  But, more on a personal level.  The two post above me.  Brought up some valid points.  And I have to admit.  It would make me cringe.  When, I would see photos of George W. and Bono and every other American politician.  While, I understand why Bono was meeting with him/them.  The images still.....

Then, there is the issues of legal tax avoidance.  This doesn't effect me personally.   Though, I can see where the Irish would have a problem with it.  Especially, when they are not receiving the same tax benefit and are told to give their dwindling funds to Africa.  Portions of Foreign Aid comes from taxation. 

Offline DGordon1

• Elevated
« Reply #21 on: April 07, 2010, 10:29:13 AM »
I find it strange that someone who, to me, comes across as really quite humble, is seen as completely arrogant to others. I would say he's a bit of an idealist, and sometimes he seems like he's on another planet. But arrogant? Nah.

Offline hj

• Desert Rose
  • Your love was a light bulb hanging over my bed...
« Reply #22 on: April 07, 2010, 11:29:30 AM »
I find it strange that someone who, to me, comes across as really quite humble, is seen as completely arrogant to others. I would say he's a bit of an idealist, and sometimes he seems like he's on another planet. But arrogant? Nah.

I agree, but "bit of an idealist" is an understatement.   ;P I love the idealist in Bono, probably because I am one too.  Pragmatists would hate him on principal alone. LOL!
Good question DGordon...Why do I see humble when others see arrogant? 
I think it has to do with the fact that I gather my information about Bono's causes outside of the mainstream media--and I question everything I hear about Bono in the media.  (Didn't ZooTV teach me that?) Maybe I am not going to believe everything I read about him in the media and know most of it is lies, but clearly many, many people believe that stuff.  For example when I saw the photo ops of him and George Bush I thought it was the most impressive opportunity he ever got and he made the most of it because that meeting gave 2 million (that's right 2 MILLION) people infected with HIV -- most of them in Africa --got lifesaving anti-retroviral treatment as part of the President's Emergency Plan for AIDS Relief, or PEPFAR.

But, his public persona shows him as being an arrogant, self satisfied, self serving ego maniac - with a side helping of sycophancy.

His public persona? Self-serving ego-maniac?  Really?  Am I the only one who disagrees with this?   And why would you believe it?  As an activist myself I have been on the other side of this (clearly no where near the scale Bono deals with) and it is amazing how twisted things become when the media get it wrong.  Actually, I would probably blame the media for making Bono out like some kind of saint half the time, and the other half of the time they are recklessly tearing him down.  I would guess the truth is not even a factor. 

Ok that makes it easy. The reason so many people hate Bono:  The media have created a persona that is incorrect and very few question it.

I am glad that he doesn't let this distorted public persona stop him from dreaming out loud. 

Offline LoveSupreme

• Elevated
« Reply #23 on: April 07, 2010, 11:35:50 AM »
  The media have created a persona that is incorrect and very few question it.
Agreed.

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • I won't pay the usual fee
« Reply #24 on: April 07, 2010, 01:51:48 PM »
Envy, it's a b****.

Offline Georgia

• Elevated
  • Contradiction is Balance
« Reply #25 on: April 07, 2010, 06:45:46 PM »
I've said before in other places, that if you've got time to moan and groan about how much you hate Bono (or any other celebrity) then you don't really have any problems and should count your blessings.

Offline thetak111

• Stateless
  • The Future Needs A Big Kiss!!!!!!
« Reply #26 on: April 07, 2010, 10:55:54 PM »
People hate him because he lets everyone know all the good deeds he's doing. But the way I see it, tell everyone you're saving kids from AIDs, as long as you're doing it. Who cares if that really is his motivation, he's done some good stuff and deserves to be praised for it.

virgin_prune

« Reply #27 on: April 08, 2010, 03:18:42 AM »

I agree, but "bit of an idealist" is an understatement.   ;P I love the idealist in Bono, probably because I am one too.  Pragmatists would hate him on principal alone. LOL!
Good question DGordon...Why do I see humble when others see arrogant? 
I think it has to do with the fact that I gather my information about Bono's causes outside of the mainstream media--and I question everything I hear about Bono in the media.  (Didn't ZooTV teach me that?) Maybe I am not going to believe everything I read about him in the media and know most of it is lies, but clearly many, many people believe that stuff.  For example when I saw the photo ops of him and George Bush I thought it was the most impressive opportunity he ever got and he made the most of it because that meeting gave 2 million (that's right 2 MILLION) people infected with HIV -- most of them in Africa --got lifesaving anti-retroviral treatment as part of the President's Emergency Plan for AIDS Relief, or PEPFAR.

But, his public persona shows him as being an arrogant, self satisfied, self serving ego maniac - with a side helping of sycophancy.

His public persona? Self-serving ego-maniac?  Really?  Am I the only one who disagrees with this?   And why would you believe it?  As an activist myself I have been on the other side of this (clearly no where near the scale Bono deals with) and it is amazing how twisted things become when the media get it wrong.  Actually, I would probably blame the media for making Bono out like some kind of saint half the time, and the other half of the time they are recklessly tearing him down.  I would guess the truth is not even a factor. 

Ok that makes it easy. The reason so many people hate Bono:  The media have created a persona that is incorrect and very few question it.

I am glad that he doesn't let this distorted public persona stop him from dreaming out loud. 

No one here knows Bono - I don't, you don't - and never will.

Why bother having an opinion about someone you've never met (bar the odd autograph). And don't say we know him through the songs...

If the media have made an image of him, then that's all we have to go on. Other than his media image, there is nothing else to base an opinion on.

'I would guess the truth is not even a factor.' - exactly. But as none of us know him, none is us know the truth.

Offline LoveSupreme

• Elevated
« Reply #28 on: April 08, 2010, 10:35:19 AM »

No one here knows Bono - I don't, you don't - and never will.

Why bother having an opinion about someone you've never met (bar the odd autograph). And don't say we know him through the songs...

If the media have made an image of him, then that's all we have to go on. Other than his media image, there is nothing else to base an opinion on.

'I would guess the truth is not even a factor.' - exactly. But as none of us know him, none is us know the truth.

I was also thinking this too.  He could be an axe murderer for all we know, but prob not.  As long as he's actually doing something & helping (which I do think he is) I think is good.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2010, 10:37:35 AM by LoveSupreme »

Offline AndyU2

• Numb
  • Dream Out Loud
« Reply #29 on: April 08, 2010, 01:01:26 PM »
Bono haters in my school tell me to suck Bono's Bone-o?

Idiots.  ::)