Author Topic: why do so many people hate bono  (Read 14307 times)

Offline thetak111

• Stateless
  • The Future Needs A Big Kiss!!!!!!
Re: why do so many people hate bono
« Reply #30 on: April 08, 2010, 08:04:56 PM »

No one here knows Bono - I don't, you don't - and never will.

Why bother having an opinion about someone you've never met (bar the odd autograph). And don't say we know him through the songs...

If the media have made an image of him, then that's all we have to go on. Other than his media image, there is nothing else to base an opinion on.

'I would guess the truth is not even a factor.' - exactly. But as none of us know him, none is us know the truth.
[/quote]

I never thought about it this way, but that's a perfect point.

Bono once said that the media creates cartoons, caricatures of celebrities, and the only way to stop that is to ignore it and create an even bigger cartoon of yourself. That's where the idea for Zoo Tv came from. 

Offline Rock N Roll Girl

• Numb
  • Too much is not enough...
« Reply #31 on: April 08, 2010, 11:37:03 PM »

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Why bother having an opinion about someone you've never met (bar the odd autograph). And don't say we know him through the songs...

If the media have made an image of him, then that's all we have to go on. Other than his media image, there is nothing else to base an opinion on.
'I would guess the truth is not even a factor.' - exactly. But as none of us know him, none is us know the truth.

Really? We have NOTHING else to go on but the media's caricature? We have his lyrics, gazillions of public appearances and interactions with people, things his close friends have said about him, and words he has said or written himself. Although we don't know him personally or know what goes on behind closed doors, Bono has "given himself away" and allowed himself to be known in these ways if one cares to take the time to look into it instead of parroting popular sound bytes. The media don't know him personally either, so the ways I mentioned above are AT LEAST as good a way of getting a sense for what a person is like. Generally, if a celebrity is radically different in their private life, it has a way of leaking out.

Offline bloom

• Elevated
  • These days are better than that
« Reply #32 on: April 09, 2010, 02:38:15 AM »

Really? We have NOTHING else to go on but the media's caricature? We have his lyrics, gazillions of public appearances and interactions with people, things his close friends have said about him, and words he has said or written himself. Although we don't know him personally or know what goes on behind closed doors, Bono has "given himself away" and allowed himself to be known in these ways if one cares to take the time to look into it instead of parroting popular sound bytes. The media don't know him personally either, so the ways I mentioned above are AT LEAST as good a way of getting a sense for what a person is like. Generally, if a celebrity is radically different in their private life, it has a way of leaking out.

I'm glad you said this RNR Girl, as I was thinking exactly the same thing. None of us know Bono personally (as far as I know) - this is true. But that doesn't mean we can't develop an informed sense of who he is as a person, as with any public figure. In fact I would have to argue that as public figures go, Bono is - as RNR Girl pointed out - particularly open in his communication. It's true that to some extent the media, and to a greater extent he himself, dictates the public persona that is presented to us, and that he has some measure of control over that identity, and of course there are parts of who he is that we never get to see. But again - chances are that his public identity is not a complete work of fiction having nothing at all to do with the real Bono. Of course it's POSSIBLE that Bono is the ultimate deceiver, leading a carefully constructed double life, maintaining a constant facade for the last thirty years, merely pretending to be decent and impulsive and spiritual and preoccupied with social justice and human rights and all the other things we have come to associate with his character, convincing or bribing all his friends and family to go along with the deception, all the while behaving like a complete jerk in private. People have succeeded in leading double lives in the past. But they're remarkable because they're the exception rather than the rule. So yeah - I may have been duped, but I feel that's unlikely enough that I'm going to go ahead and feel comfortable with the opinion I've formed of Bono, and feel fairly certain that mine has a bit more depth than someone who never really listens to U2, saw a few thirty-second soundbytes, and says "that guy's an arrogant ****".

Also - I personally might not make the argument that "we know him through the songs"...but Bono himself would apparently disagree! :)

"People talk to me... They walk straight up to me because they know from the records that even if my face isn't as open as it was 10 years ago, I am... People who know the music, know who you are. They've been in the dark room, and they know you better than your best friend, because you don't sing like that to your best friend. You don't sing in their ear."
(from "Bono on Bono")

virgin_prune

« Reply #33 on: April 09, 2010, 05:59:28 AM »
Oh well - ultimately, people see what they want to see. Or just project themselves onto other people.

What annoys me most about bono isn't really bono himself. It's the way other people see him as a brilliant human being because he gives a sh*t about Africa.

bono is in a great band that does things other people can't do but that's where it ends.

If I was in his position I'd love to do galavant around the world saving African people. But I need to work to pay my bills. Of course I'm not alone in this - I'm sure there are many people who would do worthy work if they could but are limited by their lives. Lots of people on this forum would love to help the needy. Being a good human being and wanting to help others isn't unique to saint bono. What is unique to bono is being in a (sometimes) great band and being mega rich.

So, the problem isn't bono - it's other people and their perception of him as being something he's not. He's just a guy - no better or worse than most of us.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2010, 08:26:26 AM by virgin_prune »

Offline bloom

• Elevated
« Reply #34 on: April 09, 2010, 07:13:56 AM »

So, the problem isn't bono - it's other people and their perception of him as being something he's not. He's just a guy - no better or worse than most of us.

I agree...the idea that he's a saint is just as much a caricature as the idea that he's an egomaniac - and just as much a simplification of all the evidence that's out there.

Offline Inishfree

• Up With the Sun
« Reply #35 on: April 09, 2010, 08:18:01 AM »

I agree.......Bono seems to be very open as to what kind of man he is.  He wears his heart on his sleeve.  And though it is true.  I will never hang out with him.  I don't live in Ireland and he doesn't live in Maryland.   I still think that when it comes to Bono.  What you see is what you get.

virgin_prune

« Reply #36 on: April 09, 2010, 08:25:27 AM »

I agree.......Bono seems to be very open as to what kind of man he is.  He wears his heart on his sleeve.  And though it is true.  I will never hang out with him.  I don't live in Ireland and he doesn't live in Maryland.   I still think that when it comes to Bono.  What you see is what you get.

But how do you know he's very open? How do I know he isn't?

Offline briscoetheque

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • R-E-S-T-E-C-P
« Reply #37 on: April 09, 2010, 08:32:30 AM »
I heard he eats dolphins.

Offline LoveSupreme

• Elevated
« Reply #38 on: April 09, 2010, 08:50:16 AM »

Unacceptable.
I knew it was all a facade.
There goes the marine mammal fanbase.

Offline bloom

• Elevated
« Reply #39 on: April 09, 2010, 09:45:49 AM »

None of us know one way or the other. See above. It's all down to educated guesses. As with most of our perceptions of most people. All I'm arguing is that some guesses may be more educated than others.

NOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I knew there was something not quite right about that guy.

Offline Georgia

• Elevated
  • Contradiction is Balance
« Reply #40 on: April 09, 2010, 09:50:42 AM »

If I was in his position I'd love to do galavant around the world saving African people. But I need to work to pay my bills. Of course I'm not alone in this - I'm sure there are many people who would do worthy work if they could but are limited by their lives. Lots of people on this forum would love to help the needy. Being a good human being and wanting to help others isn't unique to saint bono. What is unique to bono is being in a (sometimes) great band and being mega rich.

Bono has mentioned this very thing himself.  When he and Ali went to Ethiopia, he talked about how there were a lot of people who were willing to do the same thing, but didn't have the financial means the way he did.  He said that the only difference between him and other people was that he had the ability to go.

Offline StrongGirl

• Genius of Compression
  • On BLS I heard the sound of an angel
« Reply #41 on: April 09, 2010, 04:29:12 PM »

I see we have a new forum comedian  ;D  Mod Joe, where are you?  ;)

Offline Inishfree

• Up With the Sun
« Reply #42 on: April 12, 2010, 05:55:23 AM »

I guess, because when you reach my age (over fifty).  You have become a better judge of character.  Live experiences, especially the painful ones.  Teaches you to recognize, when someone is not, who he or she may seem.   

Offline Inishfree

• Up With the Sun
« Reply #43 on: April 12, 2010, 06:02:06 AM »
Oh well - ultimately, people see what they want to see. Or just project themselves onto other people.

What annoys me most about bono isn't really bono himself. It's the way other people see him as a brilliant human being because he gives a sh*t about Africa.

bono is in a great band that does things other people can't do but that's where it ends.

You are measuring greatness by how much attention one gets from it.  Don't you think that when you do an act of kindness for another?  That this is just as great in our creator's eye? 

It's true......Bono can afford to travel around the globe.  I can't.  You can't.  But, when I volunteer at a hospital close to my home.  Which, I do one day per week.  I feel good about it.  Because, in my way.  I am helping others. 

virgin_prune

« Reply #44 on: April 12, 2010, 02:48:06 PM »

You are measuring greatness by how much attention one gets from it.  Don't you think that when you do an act of kindness for another?  That this is just as great in our creator's eye? 

It's true......Bono can afford to travel around the globe.  I can't.  You can't.  But, when I volunteer at a hospital close to my home.  Which, I do one day per week.  I feel good about it.  Because, in my way.  I am helping others. 

Well, I don't believe in a creator so no.

You helping people is great. I do what I can too within the limits of my life. I'm just making the point that bono seems to be hailed as a unique individual in his saintly activities. I'm also making the point that none of us know him. I am sure he is as flawed as the rest of us. He just happens to by famous and wealthy. But so what?

The only thing that makes him interesting is the music U2 makes. What they create and what they inspire in others. We'd all love to do that but life just hasn't worked out that way for most people.