Author Topic: why do so many people hate bono  (Read 14312 times)

Offline Rock N Roll Girl

• Numb
  • Too much is not enough...
Re: why do so many people hate bono
« Reply #45 on: April 13, 2010, 12:38:15 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Oh well - ultimately, people see what they want to see. Or just project themselves onto other people.

What annoys me most about bono isn't really bono himself. It's the way other people see him as a brilliant human being because he gives a sh*t about Africa.

bono is in a great band that does things other people can't do but that's where it ends.

If I was in his position I'd love to do galavant around the world saving African people. But I need to work to pay my bills. Of course I'm not alone in this - I'm sure there are many people who would do worthy work if they could but are limited by their lives. Lots of people on this forum would love to help the needy. Being a good human being and wanting to help others isn't unique to saint bono. What is unique to bono is being in a (sometimes) great band and being mega rich.

So, the problem isn't bono - it's other people and their perception of him as being something he's not. He's just a guy - no better or worse than most of us.

You are measuring greatness by how much attention one gets from it.  Don't you think that when you do an act of kindness for another?  That this is just as great in our creator's eye? 

It's true......Bono can afford to travel around the globe.  I can't.  You can't.  But, when I volunteer at a hospital close to my home.  Which, I do one day per week.  I feel good about it.  Because, in my way.  I am helping others. 

Well, I don't believe in a creator so no.

You helping people is great. I do what I can too within the limits of my life. I'm just making the point that bono seems to be hailed as a unique individual in his saintly activities. I'm also making the point that none of us know him. I am sure he is as flawed as the rest of us. He just happens to by famous and wealthy. But so what?

The only thing that makes him interesting is the music U2 makes. What they create and what they inspire in others. We'd all love to do that but life just hasn't worked out that way for most people.

That might be the only interesting thing about him TO YOU. But don't project it onto everyone else.

And of course he is flawed and a human being like the rest of us.

As Inishfree says, we can all do what we are capable of to make the world a better place. Bono was blessed with talent, fame, and resources and he feels a responsibility to use that to help others. Many rich and famous people are constantly in the news for their self-indulgent, destructive, behavior. Some rich and famous people support causes important to them. But how many invest as much time and effort as Bono does? 5%? 1%? He certainly is unique in his persistant commitment to causes he believes in. I happen to like people who find it important to help others and not just think about themselves all the time. 

virgin_prune

« Reply #46 on: April 14, 2010, 07:15:43 AM »
Oh well - ultimately, people see what they want to see. Or just project themselves onto other people.

What annoys me most about bono isn't really bono himself. It's the way other people see him as a brilliant human being because he gives a sh*t about Africa.

bono is in a great band that does things other people can't do but that's where it ends.

If I was in his position I'd love to do galavant around the world saving African people. But I need to work to pay my bills. Of course I'm not alone in this - I'm sure there are many people who would do worthy work if they could but are limited by their lives. Lots of people on this forum would love to help the needy. Being a good human being and wanting to help others isn't unique to saint bono. What is unique to bono is being in a (sometimes) great band and being mega rich.

So, the problem isn't bono - it's other people and their perception of him as being something he's not. He's just a guy - no better or worse than most of us.

You are measuring greatness by how much attention one gets from it.  Don't you think that when you do an act of kindness for another?  That this is just as great in our creator's eye? 

It's true......Bono can afford to travel around the globe.  I can't.  You can't.  But, when I volunteer at a hospital close to my home.  Which, I do one day per week.  I feel good about it.  Because, in my way.  I am helping others. 

Well, I don't believe in a creator so no.

You helping people is great. I do what I can too within the limits of my life. I'm just making the point that bono seems to be hailed as a unique individual in his saintly activities. I'm also making the point that none of us know him. I am sure he is as flawed as the rest of us. He just happens to by famous and wealthy. But so what?

The only thing that makes him interesting is the music U2 makes. What they create and what they inspire in others. We'd all love to do that but life just hasn't worked out that way for most people.

That might be the only interesting thing about him TO YOU. But don't project it onto everyone else.

And of course he is flawed and a human being like the rest of us.

As Inishfree says, we can all do what we are capable of to make the world a better place. Bono was blessed with talent, fame, and resources and he feels a responsibility to use that to help others. Many rich and famous people are constantly in the news for their self-indulgent, destructive, behavior. Some rich and famous people support causes important to them. But how many invest as much time and effort as Bono does? 5%? 1%? He certainly is unique in his persistant commitment to causes he believes in. I happen to like people who find it important to help others and not just think about themselves all the time. 

I clearly meant the only thing that sets him apart from YOU and ME is the music he makes.

Offline StrongGirl

• Genius of Compression
  • On BLS I heard the sound of an angel
« Reply #47 on: April 22, 2010, 11:46:14 PM »
how about pig-headed with a condescending attitude spoiled brat self centered man .Do it my way or be a runaway coward I dont really care and you can stick your money in your ear too because thats another thing I dont care for.

Wow... why don't you tell us how you really feel? So do you like U2's music but dislike Bono as a person? You don't know him. None of us do. So how you or I feel about him personally may be completely wrong. I guess none of us will ever know. All I can say is...the I hate Bono and his activism are active threads  ;D!

So do you have a favorite U2 album? Do you have a favorite band member? We know it's not Bono  ;)

Offline Inishfree

• Up With the Sun
« Reply #48 on: April 26, 2010, 06:15:36 AM »
how about pig-headed with a condescending attitude spoiled brat self centered man .Do it my way or be a runaway coward I dont really care and you can stick your money in your ear too because thats another thing I dont care for.

I like watching interviews with Bono.  Especially, when it comes to the aids crisis in Africa.  I don't see him as you have stated.  I think he truly cares about his causes.  I also care about the well being of others. 

Offline briscoetheque

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • R-E-S-T-E-C-P
« Reply #49 on: April 26, 2010, 06:58:41 AM »

Hands up whose girlfriend bono shagged?
 :D :D :D

Offline briscoetheque

• R-E-S-T-E-C-P
« Reply #50 on: April 26, 2010, 08:30:11 PM »
visitors can't see pics , please You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login or You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline StrongGirl

• Genius of Compression
  • On BLS I heard the sound of an angel
« Reply #51 on: April 26, 2010, 08:30:36 PM »
Well, the Bono haters will continue to hate him then I suppose. But I know one thing for a fact....

ask the African people what they think about Bono. Their answers are very different because I have heard them.  I do believe many lives were saved because of what Bono has done with ONE , DATA , (RED) etc.  The funny thing is I don't think he gives a crap what anyone else thinks but the people in Africa he is trying to help. At the end of the day, that is really what it is all about no matter how any of us feel.

Offline briscoetheque

• R-E-S-T-E-C-P
« Reply #52 on: April 26, 2010, 08:31:37 PM »
I  spilled  my gin and tonic reading that reply.You would spill something too if you knew what I know

So, oh wise one.

Tell us what you know.

I know a lot of things you don't too. Mostly concerning things like this scar I have on the inside of my left knee. And the lactose intolerance of my cat.

I actually think you're the best poster on the site at the moment so please, keep it up.

Offline LoveSupreme

• Elevated
« Reply #53 on: April 27, 2010, 01:08:48 PM »
visitors can't see pics , please You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login or You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline ffishcakes2u

• Babyface
« Reply #54 on: April 27, 2010, 03:55:13 PM »
I agree after reading topics on here Iam the most interresting.keep reading If I dont get a response I like I will tell you the rest of the story

Offline bloom

• Elevated
  • These days are better than that
« Reply #55 on: April 29, 2010, 03:42:25 PM »
Loving the graphic responses!

virgin_prune

« Reply #56 on: May 04, 2010, 03:28:40 AM »

Hands up whose girlfriend bono shagged?
 :D :D :D

He shagged my girlfriend .

Which would explain his raging messiah complex.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2010, 12:17:25 PM by StrongGirl »

Offline LoveSupreme

• Elevated
« Reply #57 on: May 04, 2010, 08:17:12 AM »

Offline bloom

• Elevated
  • These days are better than that
« Reply #58 on: May 05, 2010, 02:40:44 PM »

LOL...well put!