Author Topic: U2 are for Teenagers  (Read 22336 times)

Offline Aqua

• Acrobat
  • adam for trlica 8^)
Re: U2 are for Teenagers
« Reply #105 on: December 01, 2009, 04:53:41 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Cool is overrated.
Very. Partly because it is so subjective.

Offline Johnny Amsterdam

• Desert Rose
« Reply #106 on: December 01, 2009, 04:54:03 AM »
U2 peaked in 1993. After Zooropa it's been downhill. Pop's good but not great. Kinda like a blib on the radar after that the star went dead.

Pop was better than Zooropa

and NLOTH was better than Pop
Pop better than Zooropa.... you don't really mean that... do you? do you? :'( :'(

Simple Minds WAS great. Graffiti Soul is quite mediocre. One of those bands, like Echo and the Bunnymen, that peaked around 1981.
Really Simple minds peaked around 81?
I always though they peaked with New Gold Dream? Graffiti soul is actually a better album than No line. Simple Minds were really lacking since the end of the 80's but Graffiti Soul is a great comeback.  Their opening song Moscow underground Crushes U2's opening song No line on the horizon. Not their best album but actually surprisingly good. At least The Minds Sound Like they're trying. U2 sound like they a margaritas on a French beach too many.

Yep. Simple Minds peaked around 1981. NLOTH is "infinitely" better than GS. Moscow Underground is a decent enough song but NLOTH blows it away.
I've been listening to Graffiti Soul and I sent Moscow Underground to a number of friends. Each one has said NLOTH is a better song than Moscow.(BTW I sent it only once to a teen the rest to adults).
Anyway I love Moscow underground. It's the best opening song I've heard on and Album this year. No line is kinda meeeeh from a band trying to hard to sound cool.
So you don't HATE No Line?
I don't hate it. I never said I hated it (and no I don't HATE u2, I just really find their last three album and this whole decade bland and lacking compared to the goods we got before that) but I don't like it no.  I find the whole album mediocre

My props go to Simple Minds this year who actually did a great job with graffiti soul and they've been lacking since sparkle in the rain. So yeah they deserve props for making such a great record (their best in years). U2 should've given us better stuff. cause in cotrast to the Simple minds made good to great records in the 90,s. Depeche Mode was great in that decade U2 was great in that decade Simple minds were absolutely horrible in the 90's

So my props go to them for making an album that at least sound like they're really trying to get it again. U2 was too busy with trying to be cool and trying to connect with teens. And failed at it

Offline Aqua

• Acrobat
  • adam for trlica 8^)
« Reply #107 on: December 01, 2009, 05:01:18 AM »
U2 peaked in 1993. After Zooropa it's been downhill. Pop's good but not great. Kinda like a blib on the radar after that the star went dead.

Pop better than Zooropa.... you don't really mean that... do you? do you? :'( :'(

Simple Minds WAS great. Graffiti Soul is quite mediocre. One of those bands, like Echo and the Bunnymen, that peaked around 1981.
I always though they peaked with New Gold Dream? Graffiti soul is actually a better album than No line. Simple Minds were really lacking since the end of the 80's but Graffiti Soul is a great comeback.  Their opening song Moscow underground Crushes U2's opening song No line on the horizon. Not their best album but actually surprisingly good. At least The Minds Sound Like they're trying. U2 sound like they a margaritas on a French beach too many.

Yep. Simple Minds peaked around 1981. NLOTH is "infinitely" better than GS. Moscow Underground is a decent enough song but NLOTH blows it away.
I've been listening to Graffiti Soul and I sent Moscow Underground to a number of friends. Each one has said NLOTH is a better song than Moscow.(BTW I sent it only once to a teen the rest to adults).
Anyway I love Moscow underground. It's the best opening song I've heard on and Album this year. No line is kinda meeeeh from a band trying to hard to sound cool.
So you don't HATE No Line?
I don't hate it. I never said I hated it (and no I don't HATE u2, I just really find their last three album and this whole decade bland and lacking compared to the goods we got before that) but I don't like it no.  I find the whole album mediocre

My props go to Simple Minds this year who actually did a great job with graffiti soul and they've been lacking since sparkle in the rain. So yeah they deserve props for making such a great record (their best in years). U2 should've given us better stuff. cause in cotrast to the Simple minds made good to great records in the 90,s. Depeche Mode was great in that decade U2 was great in that decade Simple minds were absolutely horrible in the 90's

So my props go to them for making an album that at least sound like they're really trying to get it again. U2 was too busy with trying to be cool and trying to connect with teens. And failed at it
Do you think NLOTH is "experimental"?

Offline kowalski

• Stateless
  • GET YOUR HEAD OUT OF THE MUD, BABY!
« Reply #108 on: December 01, 2009, 05:42:00 AM »

This may explain his anti U2 stance, the guy may have serious mental health issues.

but if you ask me he's just a bitter little t**t, who's band had a couple of good songs a long time ago, trying to be hip and young again, i mean look at at the state of him! he looks about 102 years old  >:( >:( >:(

hopefully they'll be playing Gladstonbury on some minor stage at around friday lunchtime......if they are and any U2 fans see him, go up to him and dont say a thing just point at him and laugh  :D :D :D :D

Offline Johnny Amsterdam

• Desert Rose
« Reply #109 on: December 01, 2009, 06:34:39 AM »
[/quote]Nope It's another very safe album. But Achtung Baby, Zooropa, Passengers and POP absolutely were experimental. And they were very good at it. But No line Doesn't sound really that experimental at all.  It kinda sounds like stuff I've heard before this decade.  It's sounds predictable safe, bland, and a band who wants to go all the way but are waaay too concerned about what the public would think of them if they would go all the way. U2 have the feeling like they got burned with POP. So No they rather play it safe and make populistic music just to please the critics and "fans" It kinda sounds like stuff I've heard before this decade.

deco20

« Reply #110 on: December 01, 2009, 08:31:31 AM »
Nope It's another very safe album. But Achtung Baby, Zooropa, Passengers and POP absolutely were experimental. And they were very good at it. But No line Doesn't sound really that experimental at all.  It kinda sounds like stuff I've heard before this decade.  It's sounds predictable safe, bland, and a band who wants to go all the way but are waaay too concerned about what the public would think of them if they would go all the way. U2 have the feeling like they got burned with POP. So No they rather play it safe and make populistic music just to please the critics and "fans" It kinda sounds like stuff I've heard before this decade.
[/quote]

NLOTH is experimental if you take into consideration the past 2 albums in the 2000s. I think U2 has been around far long and they have probably touched on everything that is experimental as much as they can afford it without losing the gist of their sound.

I would say NLOTH is experimental not in terms of sound but lyrics. Bono's lyrics verge on playfulness to a hauntingly solemn feeling on NLOTH. The experimental part can be found in songs like Breathe/Cedars of Lebanon/Stand Up Comedy. Sure, it may not be "experimental as in techno and stuff" but these songs are not the usual U2 songs.

On a side note, the only teenager song U2 has done would probably be NIL. The main reason I got into U2 was the how their songs seem so intelligent, mature and self-awared. Barely attributes one would associate songs for teens with.

Offline Johnny Amsterdam

• Desert Rose
« Reply #111 on: December 01, 2009, 11:33:04 AM »

This may explain his anti U2 stance, the guy may have serious mental health issues.

but if you ask me he's just a bitter little t**t, who's band had a couple of good songs a long time ago, trying to be hip and young again, i mean look at at the state of him! he looks about 102 years old  >:( >:( >:(

hopefully they'll be playing Gladstonbury on some minor stage at around friday lunchtime......if they are and any U2 fans see him, go up to him and dont say a thing just point at him and laugh  :D :D :D :D
Yeah that's something real nice and respectful to laugh about and put somebody down with cause he critizes U2. I know people who have mental health problems and It's far from funny.  So I really find your remarks extremly nasty unneedingly rude and totaly uncalled for to say the least.

Offline Joe G (Love You Like Mad Magazine)

• Precious Stone
  • 2 souls 2 cool 2 B in the realm of certainty
« Reply #112 on: December 01, 2009, 12:52:20 PM »

Yeah that's something real nice and respectful to laugh about and put somebody down with cause he critizes U2. I know people who have mental health problems and It's far from funny.  So I really find your remarks extremly nasty unneedingly rude and totaly uncalled for to say the least.

And totally OK to make since this forum is all about freedom of speech and being able to criticize whichever artists you want for whatever reason you want. Some of the language may not make it past the filters, but there is nothing wrong with someone expressing their opinion about the speculated reasons that an artist may be criticizing another artist. And if mental health issues are the reason (excuse) that Ian Mcculloch says what he says in public, then I pity him and hope he gets the help he needs.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2009, 01:01:19 PM by Joe G (Justice, Not Charity) »

Offline kowalski

• Stateless
  • GET YOUR HEAD OUT OF THE MUD, BABY!
« Reply #113 on: December 01, 2009, 02:05:09 PM »

Good for you johnny boy..........i know people with mental health issues too, and they still have a sense of humour, seems like you dont.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2009, 02:06:42 PM by kowalski »

Offline Johnny Amsterdam

• Desert Rose
« Reply #114 on: December 01, 2009, 02:23:57 PM »

Good for you johnny boy..........i know people with mental health issues too, and they still have a sense of humour, seems like you dont.

How many Bono's does it take to screw in a lightbulb?

shockdocta22

« Reply #115 on: December 01, 2009, 02:43:36 PM »

LOL i do mean it ::)

Offline Aqua

• Acrobat
  • adam for trlica 8^)
« Reply #116 on: December 01, 2009, 02:59:25 PM »

No number of Bono's can screw in a light bulb. Am I right?

Offline Joe G (Love You Like Mad Magazine)

• Precious Stone
  • 2 souls 2 cool 2 B in the realm of certainty
« Reply #117 on: December 01, 2009, 05:04:35 PM »

One Bono, and apparently 8 Ians.

Offline Johnny Amsterdam

• Desert Rose
« Reply #118 on: December 02, 2009, 04:30:36 AM »
Ian might have some mental problems but he did a better job musically than U2 in the 80's Echo and the Bunnymen were really brilliant while u2 was still struggling to find their way. props to Ian. Love that song 'Lips like sugar.'

Offline Niterpi

• Stateless
« Reply #119 on: December 02, 2009, 06:15:01 AM »

front man envy:  definitely!

i love the last paragraph of the article...

"But I canít see mature people or kids, who are looking for something, something deep - something that you just know itís art and itís going to change your life - caring. For U2, itís always flag-waving and 'Yippee'".

something deep and caring that changes your life - if that doesn't describe u2 i don't know what does!  -  has this guy ever listened to any u2 songs?