Author Topic: U2 are for Teenagers  (Read 22457 times)

Boom Cha!

Re: U2 are for Teenagers
« Reply #15 on: November 25, 2009, 04:15:51 PM »
I like Echo & The Bunnymen, but he's kind of an a-hole. He not only insulted U2, but he insulted us fans.

Offline Aiden

• Refugee
  • Pop muzik
« Reply #16 on: November 25, 2009, 04:18:07 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Well, I suppose it's not as though McCulloch knows anything about getting young OR old fans, so it's probably not wise to listen to him.

HARSH! But true. :)

Offline dudette

• Up With the Sun
« Reply #17 on: November 25, 2009, 04:22:02 PM »
It's never a good idea to insult fans... they can havea lot of revenge...  ;D I never really thought U2 was a teenagery type of band, I mean, I'm 14 and NONE and I repeat NONE of my friends had heard of them. Let me repeat NONE. Most thought I was saying Youtube. Yeah... I mean, c'mon, 14 year olds only like Taylor Swift and the Jonas Brothers... it's sad. I'm sorry to be 14.

Offline rattleandhum24

• Up With the Sun
  • All messed up, with opera in my head.
« Reply #18 on: November 25, 2009, 04:31:24 PM »
I had no idea that I was flag-waving, immature, 14-years old and shallow.  ::)  Thank you Ian McCulloch for helping me see the light.

*COUGH**COUGH*

Offline dudette

• Up With the Sun
« Reply #19 on: November 25, 2009, 04:35:51 PM »
HA HA HA HA! Loved that! Still wished I wasn't 14... then I could help go against him but darn my age cuz now I can't be like "no teenagers listen to him." Oh well... But I'm not flag-waving, immature or shallow so I'm in the clear.

Offline Joe G (Love You Like Mad Magazine)

• Precious Stone
  • 2 souls 2 cool 2 B in the realm of certainty
« Reply #20 on: November 25, 2009, 06:24:25 PM »
I like Echo & The Bunnymen, but he's kind of an a-hole. He not only insulted U2, but he insulted us fans.

I wonder if he has an Hootie complex.  You know, people come up to Darius Rucker from Hootie and the Blowfish all the time and say "Hootie!", so I'm sure Ian has people coming up to him and saying "Echo!"

His comments also show how clearly out of touch he is with U2's music. Other than my child, I don't know of any teenage U2 fans. Sounds like he is just regurgitating his old party line. I remember when U2 released POP, he actually said that Bono's voice was "too breathy", whatever that means. Something tells me Ian's wife or girlfriend really loves Bono so it drives him up the wall.

Boom Cha!

« Reply #21 on: November 25, 2009, 06:27:46 PM »

I wonder if he has an Hootie complex.  You know, people come up to Darius Rucker from Hootie and the Blowfish all the time and say "Hootie!", so I'm sure Ian has people coming up to him and saying "Echo!"

I'd call him The Bunnyman.  :D

Offline RunningtoStandstill (The League of Extraordinary BonoPeople)

• Airborne Ranger
  • There is no end to love.
« Reply #22 on: November 25, 2009, 07:24:33 PM »
...awwww do i sense some jealousy?? ickle rocker didn't get to be the biggest band in the world, so he's going to call U2 immature and silly.  wow.  people like this i don't even bother listening to because they're just complete idiots.  i'm quite surprised he says nobody says they're influenced by U2...i guess he's never heard of coldplay...or basically every other band that got started in the 90s. 

Offline Mr. T

• Staring at the Sun
« Reply #23 on: November 25, 2009, 07:36:24 PM »
I don't think he's done a single interview over the past 15 years where he doesn't mention U2.

And he can't even rip on them propper. If anything, U2 are a geezer band.

And Coldplay, The Killers, & Kings Of Leon, three of the biggest bands in the world right now, all cite U2 as an influence. And obviously so.

I will add that "Think I Need It Too" rips.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2009, 07:48:55 PM by Mr. T »

Offline StrongGirl

• Genius of Compression
  • On BLS I heard the sound of an angel
« Reply #24 on: November 25, 2009, 08:07:38 PM »
Do you believe I won a ticket to see Ian in the small acoustic gig he is doing at the record store in NYC?  >:(
I love the Bunnymen but I think I may have to boycott that thing!!! 
Or maybe I should go and give him a piece of my U2 mind  :P :P :P :P   What do you think forum friends....should StrongGirl go and show him what U2 fans are made of!!!! :D  ;)

Seriously, I do like them very much but those comments were very mean and uncalled for. You could say you don't care for a band in a classier way than that in my humble opinion.

Offline Mr. T

• Staring at the Sun
« Reply #25 on: November 25, 2009, 08:11:59 PM »
Do you believe I won a ticket to see Ian in the small acoustic gig he is doing at the record store in NYC?  >:(
I love the Bunnymen but I think I may have to boycott that thing!!! 
Or maybe I should go and give him a piece of my U2 mind  :P :P :P :P   What do you think forum friends....should StrongGirl go and show him what U2 fans are made of!!!! :D  ;)

Seriously, I do like them very much but those comments were very mean and uncalled for. You could say you don't care for a band in a classier way than that in my humble opinion.

Go. Wear your most obvious U2 shirt. Find the front row. If he gives you sh**, give him the bird. Enjoy his music.

He rags on Weller all the time as well. Ian must have a thing for superior creators.

Offline halljoh2

• Headache in a Suitcase
  • Lets see colours that have never been seen.
« Reply #26 on: November 25, 2009, 08:16:36 PM »
U2 are a band for teenagers... just look at all of us here...  Vertigo brought in a ton of new fans, when i sneakily check peoples ipod to see if i can trust them, there are often 1 or 2 U2 songs and they're usually from HTDAAB or ATYCLB.  (or Mysterious Ways, i find that a lot)  So i wouldn't necessarily say they are a geezer band, there are plenty of fans at all age levels.

Offline EdgeFest [Zenmaster360]

• Airborne Ranger
  • My blog: mrstheedge.com
« Reply #27 on: November 25, 2009, 10:14:21 PM »
Well... the teen thread is almost as big as the OLC now... :D

Seriously why were most people my age or older than me at the shows then?  (I'm 35, folks)

I don't know of a band that has a WIDER appeal than U2.  That's really saying a LOT.

He rags on Weller all the time as well. Ian must have a thing for superior creators.

It's a bit of Northern English cheek from Ian too, in the Noel Gallagher style... ;)

But, as much as you may say Oasis is just like that, they totally pay homage.

« Last Edit: November 25, 2009, 10:17:05 PM by EdgeFest [Zen Presbyterian] »

Offline RunningtoStandstill (The League of Extraordinary BonoPeople)

• Airborne Ranger
  • There is no end to love.
« Reply #28 on: November 25, 2009, 10:42:01 PM »

give him a good whallopping from me strongirl!!  :D :D ;)

Offline Aqua

• Acrobat
  • adam for trlica 8^)
« Reply #29 on: November 25, 2009, 11:25:57 PM »
This guy is a complete idiot.
Firstly, U2 is about as cool as Star Trek nerds to teenagers. Because most don't know the first thing about them, they assume they make old, crap music. The key word is OLD.
Just a few hours ago, someone at school said to me,  "what music do you listen to?". I told him U2. He replied "THEY ARE SO OLD!" I asked him if he knew what type of music U2 made. He replied "They just make love songs". He was also under the impression that U2 were in their prime during the mid 70's.
The ignorance annoyed me, but it is what I get every time I mention U2.
OLD.
Now this guy is obviously a U2 hater. I simply can't grasp why U2 should be hated. It's a bandwagon that is extremely fun to jump on, because there are a lot of things you can assume... like "Bono is arrogant" (because of all the accolades the band has received) or "Bono is a hypocrite" (because he is charitable) and "they make boring music" (because they shyed away from the traditional rock sound and aren't emo either).
If this guy uses his time in interviews to insult U2 he has serious issues. What is more likely is he's using their name for publicity.
U2's appeal is to a wide, wide, audience. They get a few teens, who bother to LISTEN to their music, like me, and they have fans from way back as well. There is no merit in any of his statements.