Author Topic: U2 are for Teenagers  (Read 22235 times)

Offline bachor

• Wanderer
Re: U2 are for Teenagers
« Reply #30 on: November 26, 2009, 02:58:38 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Man!
Frontman envy must be a painful disease...

What a loser.  He is probably just upset that even Bugs Bunny is more famous than the Bunnymen.

bugs bunny is more famous than U2.

Ian McCulloch has always been tongue in cheek about these comments, some of them are actually quite hilarious. chill out, guys.

Offline Johnny Amsterdam

• Desert Rose
« Reply #31 on: November 26, 2009, 03:46:03 AM »
echo are musically better that U2. they were and still are one of my favourite bands form the 80's. man Ocean rain is still one of the best records from that era. Remember u2 wasn't that big or that good when Echo released Ocean rain. U2 was very influenced by them. So I understand that he's bitter that U2 became a bigger band. But in the end Bigger doesn't necessary means better. U2 was pretty good in the 80's but there wre bands who were far better then them, bands like souixie and the banshees, simple minds, talking heads, etc were musically far superior bands than U2 in those days. But then again the standard in the 80 were pretty high and damn good already. I remember when I heard New Years day for the first time and thought Damn that's pretty good and epic but then again so was How soon is now by the Smiths and New gold dream by the Simple minds or Rio by Duran Duran.

Offline TheFlyingLemon

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
« Reply #32 on: November 26, 2009, 04:03:36 AM »
Now time to point and laugh at our favourite 'soddin' mountain goat' McCullouch.

:D

Offline Jono

• Running to Stand Still
  • Nice job by #MoteeShoe
« Reply #33 on: November 26, 2009, 07:52:27 AM »
not sure if Ian is ever 'tongue in cheek' as he is a bit of a drama Q!
Also props to Bugs Bunny for his longevity but i think if you polled anyone under 25 they know the brand U2 (whether labeled 'old' or not) more than the BB brand!

Offline Jono

• Running to Stand Still
  • Nice job by #MoteeShoe
« Reply #34 on: November 26, 2009, 07:53:38 AM »
one  more...
LOVE Simple Minds, but NO WAY are they better musically than U2!! Let's keep it real!

Offline LMbVOXedgeAC [aka LMB]

• Elevated
  • Hold me close and don't let me go.
« Reply #35 on: November 26, 2009, 08:04:36 AM »
He is so envious... No band ever lists U2 as an influence?  I think that's an outright lie!

Makes me think of when Arcade Fire dissed U2... The band that was playing them over the PA before their shows on the Vertigo tour...  ::)

shockdocta22

« Reply #36 on: November 26, 2009, 08:07:05 AM »
LOL how can he say they dont influence ::)

Offline Johnny Amsterdam

• Desert Rose
« Reply #37 on: November 26, 2009, 08:14:15 AM »
one  more...
LOVE Simple Minds, but NO WAY are they better musically than U2!! Let's keep it real!
They were far better than U2 in the 80's and i mean the first halve the 80's simple minds Kicked their butt. U2 was just gearing up But Simple released brilliant music one after the other. sons of fascination/sister feelings call, empire and dance and their masterpiece new gold dream. they were far better musicians u2 in those days.

Offline Johnny Amsterdam

• Desert Rose
« Reply #38 on: November 26, 2009, 08:15:31 AM »
Echo and the Bunnymen influenced U2 in the 80's Just like Simple minds and Joy division influenced U2 in the 80's

shockdocta22

« Reply #39 on: November 26, 2009, 08:31:07 AM »
Echo and the Bunnymen influenced U2 in the 80's Just like Simple minds and Joy division influenced U2 in the 80's

just like U2 influenced almost every big band today ::)

Offline Johnny Amsterdam

• Desert Rose
« Reply #40 on: November 26, 2009, 08:40:49 AM »

except Radiohead. Their a league of their own. Anyway not al bands are influenced by U2 and worst even u2 where influenced by great band and artists, and came up with great albums themselves for a while. But these new bands they've influenced are mostly mediocre to horrible to utterly unlistenable.

Offline eddyjedi

• Elevated
« Reply #41 on: November 26, 2009, 09:04:30 AM »

except Radiohead. Their a league of their own. Anyway not al bands are influenced by U2 and worst even u2 where influenced by great band and artists, and came up with great albums themselves for a while. But these new bands they've influenced are mostly mediocre to horrible to utterly unlistenable.

Listen to Zooropa and then listen to Kid A, their influence is all over it. They can have that league of their own anyway, dreary, downbeat, drony rubbish as far as i'm concerned. They have a handful of good songs, one of them being high and dry.

If you listen to U2 haters today the first thing they will say is bono is an idiot, nothing to do with the music of the band. They have heard the odd single (which inherently do not represent the tone of their albums anymore) and slate them. That's all it comes down to. I really think glasto has the potential to either make or break this band and usually when they have their backs against the wall, they nail it, every time.

Roll on June 25th

Offline ayajedi

• Child of Grace
  • Don't Let the Bastards Grind You Down
« Reply #42 on: November 26, 2009, 10:39:30 AM »
Ian has been griping about Bono/U2 for years and years. I think it is partly jealousy/envy and frustration.
I don't pay him any mind, I like 1 Echo song in the  80s but i like countless U2 songs, so........

Offline zooey

• Elevated
  • Boom Cha
« Reply #43 on: November 26, 2009, 10:40:07 AM »
about the article: lol

Offline Johnny Amsterdam

• Desert Rose
« Reply #44 on: November 26, 2009, 12:46:07 PM »

Listen to Zooropa and then listen to Kid A, their influence is all over it. They can have that league of their own anyway, dreary, downbeat, drony rubbish as far as i'm concerned. They have a handful of good songs, one of them being high and dry.

If you listen to U2 haters today the first thing they will say is bono is an idiot, nothing to do with the music of the band. They have heard the odd single (which inherently do not represent the tone of their albums anymore) and slate them. That's all it comes down to. I really think glasto has the potential to either make or break this band and usually when they have their backs against the wall, they nail it, every time.

Roll on June 25th
well listen to new gold dream and listen to Zooropa. New gold dream's influence can be heard all over it.