Author Topic: U2 are for Teenagers  (Read 22297 times)

Offline robert

• Party Girl/Boy
Re: U2 are for Teenagers
« Reply #60 on: November 27, 2009, 01:40:39 PM »
thats bo****ks.

the only immature songs I can think of our vertigo (and its a bit of fun the the older people) i will follow (which should be taken seriously) elevation, i'll go crazy if I dont go crazy...

Offline uplate6674

• Up With the Sun
  • every poet is a thief
« Reply #61 on: November 27, 2009, 01:58:16 PM »
Dude clearly hasn't looked at the results of the atu2.com reader surveys.

Offline robert

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #62 on: November 27, 2009, 02:46:48 PM »
some songs even relate to literature! thats why no one cares about echo because there ignorant and stubborn. Listening to echo is like running blind.

Offline StrongGirl

• Genius of Compression
  • On BLS I heard the sound of an angel
« Reply #63 on: November 27, 2009, 03:24:18 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I see some here don't really understand how important and influential Echo were back in the day. Johnnie Amsterdam mentioned a few bands that were musically superior to U2 back in the early and mid 80s. I would agree with that list in that time frame.

I do think the comments were ridiculous, but I don't see why people get worked up about it. It's an opinion and/or a sales tactic. Who cares?

I mentioned in the other thread that a younger salesperson in the record store where Ian is doing his acoustic set told my friend on the phone that they were a small but good indie band.  ;D  He hung up on her when she told him how influencial they really were back in the 80's !   ;)

Offline StrongGirl

• Genius of Compression
  • On BLS I heard the sound of an angel
« Reply #64 on: November 27, 2009, 03:26:04 PM »
im a taxi driver in liverpool and i actually had mculloch as a customer back in 2001. we spoke about u2 and he called bono "a poisoned dwarf!" i judged the mood of the conversation we were having and then proceeded to systematically wipe the floor with any negative views he had of bono. he is a big liverpool fan so we had found common ground and we sat there talking for 20 minutes after we had arrived at his house. i even suggested to him that he was jealous of u2 and he looked at me smiled and said probably! he knows that talking about u2 makes his band and opinion appear relevant. which it ceased to become over 20 years ago.infact it wouldnt surprise me if he trawled the internet on a daily basis looking for sites like this one. because the more we mention echo and the bunnymen the better it  is for his"stuck in a time warp!" band. and i will tell you something else. this man is the biggest hypocrite to walk the planet. if anybody is an egotistical maniac its this man. at least bono can justify having a large ego. but i have to say that he was a really nice fella to talk to. down to earth but completley consumed with jealousy. u2 supported the bunnymen back in the 8o,s and he finds it hard to swallow.

Wow, very interesting story, al! 

Offline Miami66

• Airborne Ranger
  • The goal is soul
« Reply #65 on: November 27, 2009, 06:46:52 PM »
U2 is for Teenagers... I wish  ;)

Offline TheFlyingLemon

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
« Reply #66 on: November 27, 2009, 11:23:22 PM »
If U2 were for teenagers then it'd be as big a phenomenon as Twilight, Miley Cyrus etc. So no thank you.

Offline j2736 (i'm not a boy ! )

• Desert Rose
  • watch more television
« Reply #67 on: November 28, 2009, 12:50:01 AM »
Ian is old but thinks like a 14 year old.  :D and it's a thing he cannot accept because he LOVES U2 which he cannot also accept and admit. would he be jealous if he doesn't find U2 actually very good?? IAN is a great example of a Hypocrite!  >:(
« Last Edit: November 28, 2009, 12:52:49 AM by j2736 (i'm not a boy ! ) »

Offline Johnny Amsterdam

• Desert Rose
« Reply #68 on: November 28, 2009, 01:43:01 AM »
U2 actually want the teenagers.  They want them so bad is a sad sight to see.

Offline beau99

• Stateless
« Reply #69 on: November 28, 2009, 01:57:49 AM »
Oh, hush.

If you hate U2 now, why are you still here?

Offline TheFlyingLemon

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
« Reply #70 on: November 28, 2009, 02:26:54 AM »
Oh, hush.

That's something many of us have wanted to know for quite a while.

Offline morph

• Refugee
« Reply #71 on: November 28, 2009, 02:27:07 AM »
I think Ian's quite a funny bloke. Part of me finds it entertaining when people like him and (former Bunnymen manager and KLF member) Bill Drummond slag the band off - at least they do it with wit!

Offline Johnny Amsterdam

• Desert Rose
« Reply #72 on: November 28, 2009, 04:04:23 AM »
Oh, hush.

I don't hate U2 dude. But how many time shave we heard from u2 that they want to resonate to the younger crowd. Why do you think they released Boots?

Offline Aqua

• Acrobat
  • adam for trlica 8^)
« Reply #73 on: November 28, 2009, 04:48:31 AM »
Oh, hush.

I don't hate U2 dude. But how many time shave we heard from u2 that they want to resonate to the younger crowd. Why do you think they released Boots?
U2 want to appeal to a younger demographic because they don't want to be the Stones. One of your favorite bands is trying to be relevant- they aren't giving up and becoming a heritage act. I for one am proud of that.
IMO, Boots was the only song the initially thought would appeal to a younger audience. That song is not for young people. It is not a Pop song, nor is it easy to digest. It's gritty U2. I will say it again. U2 are not for teens.

Offline Johnny Amsterdam

• Desert Rose
« Reply #74 on: November 28, 2009, 04:55:47 AM »
Oh, hush.

U2 want to appeal to a younger demographic because they don't want to be the Stones. One of your favorite bands is trying to be relevant- they aren't giving up and becoming a heritage act. I for one am proud of that.
IMO, Boots was the only song the initially thought would appeal to a younger audience. That song is not for young people. It is not a Pop song, nor is it easy to digest. It's gritty U2. I will say it again. U2 are not for teens.

Well U2 are not for teens? then why did I liked them when I was a teen? My older brothers and sisters liked them too and they weren't teens any more. because their music was good in the 80's (the latter half even better) and damn good in the 90's When I wasn't a teen anymore and they weren't even trying to connect to the teens but to the world in general. But this focus on teens is killing their creativity. it used to come naturally because trying to connect with teens wasn't in their vocabulary. Now that it is it feels waaaay to forced. and It gave Us Boots.