Author Topic: Lincoln Memorial Concert  (Read 26375 times)

An Cat Dubh

Re: Lincoln Memorial Concert
« Reply #90 on: January 18, 2009, 05:18:54 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Yes, he has been poitical, but like Ricco is saying, its a personal observation. I agree with him, I would rather listen to the lyrics U2 wrote when they originally wrote the songs, not ad-libbed lines for the the ocaision stuff! Aren't U2's lyrics supposed to say these things anyway - why change them?
Again, just observations - I still LOVE the band & Bono!

Changing the lyrics is totally a matter of opinion. I know a lot of people hate it, I personally love it. It's one of the reasons I got so into live  tape trading back in the day and still collect CDs and mp3s of their live shows. I love the lyric changes, snippets of other songs and ramblings.  They don't always work, but its fun to see what he is going to do. If you want the original there is always the CD.

Whether you love it or hate, please understand Bono has been doing it from the beginning.

I collect live U2 shows also, Bono has not been doing this from the beginning. There has always been an element of him changing lyrics, in the early days however, and now sometimes, this was due to him forgetting lyrics and ad-libbing. Snippets of other songs is a different thing altogether.

Offline Bono in Bonolands

• Numb
« Reply #91 on: January 18, 2009, 05:20:38 PM »
Yes, he has been poitical, but like Ricco is saying, its a personal observation. I agree with him, I would rather listen to the lyrics U2 wrote when they originally wrote the songs, not ad-libbed lines for the the ocaision stuff! Aren't U2's lyrics supposed to say these things anyway - why change them?
Again, just observations - I still LOVE the band & Bono!

Changing the lyrics is totally a matter of opinion. I know a lot of people hate it, I personally love it. It's one of the reasons I got so into live  tape trading back in the day and still collect CDs and mp3s of their live shows. I love the lyric changes, snippets of other songs and ramblings.  They don't always work, but its fun to see what he is going to do. If you want the original there is always the CD.

Whether you love it or hate, please understand Bono has been doing it from the beginning.

I collect live U2 shows also, Bono has not been doing this from the beginning. There has always been an element of him changing lyrics, in the early days however, and now sometimes, this was due to him forgetting lyrics and ad-libbing. Snippets of other songs is a different thing altogether.

I reckon a lot if it has to do with the booze content he has had that day. The more booze he has, the more likely he is to forget the lines or ramble incoherently. Especially now he is getting much older.

Offline bloom

• Elevated
  • These days are better than that
« Reply #92 on: January 18, 2009, 05:21:53 PM »
Respecting all the opinions, but respectfully disagreeing with the naysayers! (I didn't see any of it till just now - thanks for the COBL youtube link! - and got major chills! But I admit, I have a high tolerance for Bono getting caught up in the moment and maybe at times going overboard - it's one of the reasons I love him. When he gets it right he really gets it right, and he would never carry those moments off if he didn't risk going too far at times.

Offline Ricco

• Stateless
  • I was the bad guy who walked out...
Re: Ultraviolet (Light My Way) !imsan
« Reply #93 on: January 18, 2009, 05:23:27 PM »
I respect the negative comments. But this was such an historic day for the US, I wasnt offended by his actions. This day was more about our new President! And  Springsteen and Mellencamp's performances  rocked!

Not to go off topic, but why is this President any different than any other?  Besides his race?  I sure hope he lives up to the liberals fantasies.  But knowing politicians and the fact that his administration is the second coming of  Clinton's, I seriously doubt it.

I know that there are certain homer U2 fans that will argue with me until the end of the world (no pun), I used to be be a homer fan and stuck up for Bono's most ridiculous antics.  But lately he has just been so full of himself and insincere, not mentioning the fact that he resembles Robin Williams now, LOL.  I love the guy when he is focused on the music, I just don't dig his distractions anymore.

Offline u2yooper

• Airborne Ranger
  • Life should be fragrant- rooftop to the basement
« Reply #94 on: January 18, 2009, 05:25:24 PM »
HBO is replaying it right now.  check it out:  You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

• Numb
« Reply #95 on: January 18, 2009, 05:27:47 PM »
I reckon that was a very bad cover band trying to play U2 music in front of Lincoln.

An Cat Dubh

« Reply #96 on: January 18, 2009, 05:30:04 PM »
I reckon that was a very bad cover band trying to play U2 music in front of Lincoln.

Bono in Bonolands - I joined this thread agreeing with you, now you have lost me. I thought when he sang, Bono was great, and the rest of the band were in great form.

Offline whitewave

• Child of Grace
  • she's the wave,she turns the Tide
« Reply #97 on: January 18, 2009, 05:31:00 PM »
I loved the entire celebration from Bruce all the way to the end. Bono's changing the lyrics, from my viewpoint, was more than expected especially when honoring the people present-- that is why he did it.  I do have to say though that Garth Brooks doing "American Pie" had me calling back home with OMG-----our song!!! My friends and I would just break into that song in the hallways in highschool.
The whole thing was outstanding.

Offline Anthony02

• Running to Stand Still
  • And I know that the tide is turning 'round....
Ultraviolet (Light My Way) !imsan
« Reply #98 on: January 18, 2009, 05:32:40 PM »
 LOL. Hey ricco do me a favor? U want to talk politics, start a new thread. Because you must be a Republican. I made no comment bout race. So Ill just leave it alone. 

Offline TheFlyingLemon

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
« Reply #99 on: January 18, 2009, 05:34:48 PM »
I demand this thread get locked and removed from visual existence!  >:(

Offline Ricco

• Stateless
  • I was the bad guy who walked out...
« Reply #100 on: January 18, 2009, 05:35:56 PM »
Did anyone think that Jon Bon Jovi had that much soul in him?  He was getting into it.

Boom Cha!

« Reply #101 on: January 18, 2009, 05:36:34 PM »
I demand this thread get locked and removed from visual existence!  >:(

Agreed. I thought this was a forum for U2 fans. Not for people that just wanna judge Bono's actions.

Offline Anthony02

• Running to Stand Still
  • And I know that the tide is turning 'round....
Ultraviolet (Light My Way) !imsan
« Reply #102 on: January 18, 2009, 05:37:30 PM »
Vlad I agree. First time since Ive been in here and Im getting annoyed.

Offline Starfish

• Acrobat
  • Yay, it's Larry!!!
« Reply #103 on: January 18, 2009, 05:38:01 PM »
You know, I so detest the fact that I have nothing to contribute to this conversation.  >:(

• Numb
« Reply #104 on: January 18, 2009, 05:38:10 PM »

Bono in Bonolands - I joined this thread agreeing with you, now you have lost me. I thought when he sang, Bono was great, and the rest of the band were in great form.

Zoobuddy. It is all about opinion. We will sometimes agree and sometimes disagree. At the end of the day, it was glorified klisch. It was Zoo TV at it's best.

For the whole of the Zoo TV tour Bono was slagging off this kind of thing. Now he is in it.

There is a serious problem..