Author Topic: your first u2 concert. what was it like?  (Read 8633 times)

Offline CarryU2

• Wanderer
Re: your first u2 concert. what was it like?
« Reply #15 on: July 24, 2010, 05:06:20 PM »
Oct.25, 2009 RoseBowl

It had been 24 years since I been to a concert and I had never been to a stadium show. I had become really fanatical Oct. 2008 when I heard they were gonna release NLOTH the following March and I HAD TO SEE THEM LIVE!
Got in the GA line 7am #543. Met lots of wonderful fans. Survived the line surge. Tripped and sprained my ankle going into the ellipse. Got a great spot on Adam's side.  To pinpoint it, during Magnificent when Bono walked out on the bridge the first time
and he stopped and held his hands up and looked down I was directly beneath him and you can see thru the bridge! I was awestruck! I had a blast. I thought the band sounded great and were into it. Bono's voice was great, in my opinion.  I thought the
crowd was loud, too. Too many highlights, but the most memorable were Beautiful Day (love that outro), UTEOTW Bono coming out on the bridge singing "love, love, lovvee right in front of me, Streets of course, and to me it seemed the crowd was rocked the most by Vertigo. I can't wait to see them in Oakland.

Boom Cha!

« Reply #16 on: July 24, 2010, 07:04:47 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Tampa  Oct. 9, 2009 360 Tour

I was thinking about this last night actually.  A little bit of back story first. I had gone to my first Killers concert a week earlier and it was a great show. I have loved TK since they first came out & was really excited to finally see them. Their show was amazing. So much fun. Like a huge party.
I was excited for U2 but out of the 2 concerts I was more excited about TK. And when it was time for U2 I also must admit I was kinda more excited about seeing Muse who was opening. Anyway I guess the whole entire show just made such an impression on me. I know a lot of people say they are tired of hearing SBS, One, Streets, etc. being in every show. Maybe its bc I was a casual fan at that moment but hearing those songs live was amazing. I was really moved during SBS & One. Esp. SBS. Also I had never heard Ultraviolet before the show but I remember that one very much so too.
The Claw was really beautiful. I remember at one point during the show it was all like red & orange and to me it looked like Asian temple. It was just really cool.
So I guess why I've become such a U2 fan now is bc of that show & what a big emotional impression it made on me.

I saw my first Killers' concert last year and it was amazing! I hate to admit it, but I thought it was far better than my U2 concert. The crowd alone was outstanding at The Killers' show. I don't think one person was sitting throughout the show.  8)

Offline Georgia

• Elevated
  • Contradiction is Balance
« Reply #17 on: July 24, 2010, 08:18:49 PM »
Zoo TV Outside Broadcast
 September 25, 1992
Georgia Dome, Atlanta, GA

I was 13 and this show totally blew me away.  We got tickets at the last minute when Ticketmaster released a couple of sections of tickets two weeks before the show.  It's all like a dream now.  One thing I remember is that this was the first concert ever at the Georgia Dome, and some of the house lights wouldn't go off when the show started.  At the end of Zoo Station, Bono said something about getting the lights off.  The lights didn't go off until half-way through The Fly and everyone cheered.  Later on, this incident showed up in Willie Williams' tour diary in Propaganda.  He said that the house lights at the Dome were controlled by a computer and had malfunctioned, so one of the crew took a hammer to it.  Don't know how true that is....but U2 might've had to pay for some damage.   ::) :D

Offline Joe90usa

• Airborne Ranger
  • Dragons Rule! Catfish Drool.
« Reply #18 on: July 24, 2010, 08:36:57 PM »
U2 Setlist: June 29, 1983 at New York, NY

Venue: Pier 84

Opening Act(s): The Alarm

Main Set: Out Of Control, Twilight, An Cat Dubh, Into The Heart, Surrender, Two Hearts Beat As One, Seconds, Sunday Bloody Sunday, Electric Co., I Fall Down, October, New Year's Day, Gloria

Encore(s): 11 O'Clock Tick Tock, I Will Follow, 40

It was an awesome show as the band played their final U.S. date before returning to Europe on the second leg of the War tour. It would be more correct to call The Alarm co-headliners than an opening act as they are an amazing live band as well.

Offline VoodooDolly

• Refugee
  • Scream without raising your voice...
« Reply #19 on: July 24, 2010, 08:43:37 PM »
Vertigo
October 29, 2005
American Airlines Arena, Dallas

I was ecstatic for this show. When the band came out, I burst into tears because I couldn't believe I was finally seeing them live. :D The show was amazing. I remember at one point there was a guy near the ellipse that held up a sign saying something like "Angel of Harlem - did you forget?" that also had the notes to the song. Bono pulled him up on stage, they handed him a guitar, and he joined them for an improvised version of Angel. At the end, the guy handed Bono the sunglasses he was wearing, and Bono took off his own and gave them to him. I was in awe. Other than the drunk woman sitting behind us who spilled beer down the back of my sister's shirt and yelled at me to sit down during Miss Sarajevo, the show was magical, and every time I hear the opening notes of COBL, I'm transported back to that night.

Offline Midnight is Where the Day Begins

• Genius of Compression
  • Oh it's time, it's time, it's IeTOUR time!!
« Reply #20 on: July 24, 2010, 10:03:05 PM »
U2360
September 24th, 2009
Giants Stadium, East Rutherford, New Jersey

Without a doubt, one of the best nights of my life, and I mean that too.

I think I bugged my dad like 200 times to buy tickets early, and in the end he finally did, and our seats were directly in the middle of the lower deck facing the front of the stage. And I got a lot of memorable moments at this concert.

There were the awesome moments like Bono running around the stage in the end of Until The End of the World, and when he pulled up the boy in City of Blinding Lights. But there were also some funny mishaps like the now infamous (well to me anyway) version of Stay where he sang verse 2, verse 1, and verse 2 again. But I was in for a little scare when he nearly messed up the beginning of the second verse of Streets, and thankfully made a great comeback to end the song on a high note.

What I was impressed with was the setlist.

I loved the shake up they did in the beginning, having Mysterious Ways an early third, and moving No Line down to 5th, and I Still Haven't Found to 8th. Stay popping up was a welcomed surprise, no matter how messy it was  ;D . And one of my favorites, Until the End of the World, came to replace I'm guessing Your Blue Room, which was a-okay in my eyes  ;) . The only thing I could have wished I've seen or heard was the drum tech's rehearsal of Mofo, I would have went insane  ;D

Anyway the concert was also a double win for me, as mega british band Muse was the opening act. Since then, they've become my 2nd most listened to band, and I'm hopefully looking to get tickets for when the return to the US later this year I believe. And while they only played I think 8 or 9 songs, many of them were incredible, especially Knights of Cedonia and Plug in Baby.

Other assorted moments included 3 different groups of people asking me what the encore was, to which I told UV, WOWY, and MOS. And also sitting next to a pair of ladies who had seen them during the War tour (seriously, that's awesome!). And then me being the only kid jumping up and down during UTEOTW even though I was on the lower level and not the GA. Annd the at least 10 duets I did with a 23 year old fun drunk jock who was next to me (that was sooo much fun!). And having my first sniff of Marijuana (some idiot girls were using it 4 rows down, wind blew it to me, all I can say is whoa.  :D ).

Setlist -

1. Breathe
   2. Get On Your Boots
   3. Mysterious Ways
   4. Beautiful Day / She's A Rainbow (snippet) / Blackbird (snippet)
   5. No Line On The Horizon
   6. Magnificent
   7. Elevation
   8. I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For / Stand By Me (snippet)
   9. Unknown Caller
  10. Until The End Of The World
  11. Stay (Faraway, So Close!)
  12. The Unforgettable Fire
  13. Mofo (snippet) / City Of Blinding Lights
  14. Vertigo / It's Only Rock 'n' Roll (But I Like It) (snippet)
  15. Miss You (snippet) / I'll Go Crazy If I Don't Go Crazy Tonight / Rocks (snippet)
  16. Sunday Bloody Sunday / Rock The Casbah (snippet)
  17. MLK
  18. Walk On / You'll Never Walk Alone (snippet)

encore(s):
  19. One / Amazing Grace (snippet)
  20. Where The Streets Have No Name / All You Need Is Love (snippet)
  21. Ultra Violet (Light My Way)
  22. With Or Without You
  23. Moment of Surrender 

Offline TheEdgeIn4D~Too much is NOT enough! {T-PEP}

• Up With the Sun
  • Exile...
« Reply #21 on: July 24, 2010, 10:07:19 PM »
Middy, I was there too, in GA, Edge side. Got there at seven in the morning. And I had gone to the show the night before, GA too! Be glad you went to the second one, I felt the first show was a little off, but the second night was a BLAST. Yes, the infamous Stay.... ;D

Smee

« Reply #22 on: July 25, 2010, 10:45:24 AM »
The Unforgetable Fire Tour
05-11-1985
Edinburgh Playhouse

And.......................................................................................thanx to the worst memory imaginable.....i cant remember much, bordering on any, of the gig :(...How ironic given the Tour Name!
« Last Edit: July 25, 2010, 10:47:02 AM by Smee »

Offline missey

• Child of Grace
« Reply #23 on: July 25, 2010, 04:38:59 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Middy, I was there too, in GA, Edge side. Got there at seven in the morning. And I had gone to the show the night before, GA too! Be glad you went to the second one, I felt the first show was a little off, but the second night was a BLAST. Yes, the infamous Stay.... ;D

I was there also.  What a great show!  I was standing right next to the boy that got pulled up during COBL.

Offline TyraRay

• Elevated
  • Ill come back above, when there is only love <3
« Reply #24 on: July 25, 2010, 04:41:06 PM »
Oct.28th, 2009
BC place, Vancouver
<33333
AHH!! :) :) My first U2 concert,
I got GA and waited in line for over 12 hours ! :)
 I managed to get front row RIGHT infront of Bono :)
Best night of my life. ever. :)

Offline ciaz

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #25 on: July 25, 2010, 07:18:47 PM »
Mondy 27th July, 2009 (Dublin 3 - I think), Ireland

My first U2 gig was immense.

I bought the tickets pretty close to the date of eBay. I already had tickets to Wembley but after the tour started, mainly due to reading the live show threads on this forum, the excitement of it all caught up with me. I couldn't contain it, I just had to go. I was meant to go to Vertigo in 05 but somehow the transaction messed up.

Anyway. I was going on my own and didn't really know what to expect. But this was U2 in Dublin - bound to be fantastic, right? There was gonna be loads of fans there! I was intent on getting as close as I could, so I bought an early flight, 8am I think, from Birmingham International to Dublin. Flew over and immediately made my way to croke park (quite hard to find actually, hidden away behind some houses!). I got there about 10/11am, and there were a lot less people there than I expected - from chatting to some locals, I guess it was because it was the Monday show, around the same time on the Friday and Saturday it was a lot busier. Anyways I tried to find the GA que, and saw the tip of the claw over the stadium - croke park almost has a side 'missing' so it was quite visible. The jitters already started to get to me. I just had nothing to do! I went to the GAA museum and wandered a bit, and I met this lovely Italian woman looking to buy tickets for the show. She had been to both the Friday and Saturday and was so loving it she just had to go again. I had nothing to do, so gave her a hand, we managed to get some tickets and bought a bit of alcohol to smuggle into the stadium as well.

We got in the GA que pretty early, around mid afternoon I would say. Had some lunch, etc etc. I am a huge leeds united fan, and to my surprise the irish couple next to me were huge leeds fans as well, which was fantastic! chatted to them for a bit. Two of my biggest passions, leeds and U2... can't go wrong chatting about that. Then there was a soundchek - 'I will follow' started to blare over the speakers. It was quite audiable for the GA line, because of the side 'missing' from croke. The whole que got on their feet and started bopping. Now I was really feeling excited! They also soundchecked Drowning Man, so in a way I guess I'm privileged as one of the few fans to get to hear them play that!

Got into the show, chatted to fans around me, it was awesome. The show blew me away. I really, really wanted to hear NYD, which they played, and Stay, which was also fantastic. I was so close to the band as well, I never thought I would get that close. Brilliant. Really got a shiver down my spine when Bono asked who was there from a foreign country. I think nearly the whole crowd, at least where I was, raised their arms. Italians, Poles, Brazilians, French, Argentinian.... everything! There was some footie related banter between the various nationalities before the show as well, a nice touch of humour.

After the gig I had nothing to do until 6am when my flight was. So, the lovely Italian lady, who knew Dublin well, showed me the way to Temple Bar. I went there and it was like a bloody U2 festival. 'Pride' and "With or Without You' blaring from every pub, drunk people singing at the top of their voices, people from all over the world. I selected one pub which had paintings of U2 all over the walls and squeezed my way through the crowd to the front. Back on my own at this point as well, as the Italian had to go home. Ended up chatting to these two blokes from the UK, who were 20 years my senior - 'i remember what it was like to be your age', they insisted as they kept buying me drinks. I felt quite bad, I was pretty skint but there was no stopping them! chatted the night away with them, until it got to about 3am and I was thinking im gonna miss my flight here. Said my goodbyes and drunkenly stumbled into a taxi and headed to the airport.

Now, also in preparation for the tour I had been following U2006coms' videos on YouTube. They were amazing quality and he pretty much was at every show. Really helped me get more excited and pumped, haha. So I get to the airport, pretty pi**ed, and there is this tall bloke outside with his laptop out. He has a U2 t shirt on so I go over and start chatting. I ask him what he's doing with the laptop and he responds 'oh, just uploading my latest video'. I soon clocked on that he was U2006, and man he must have thought he was my hero or something. I was proper praising him 'oh man your videos rock man, the best on youtube'... i guess it was the alcohol! haha. he was great though and we had a long chat about his favourite shows so far on the tour. He reckoned one of the Germany ones was the best, I can't recall which now.

I stumbled through departures after checking in, and met some more U2 fans in the departure lounge who had the same strategy as me - no money for hotel, stay up all night. Spoke to them about their best gigs, etc etc as the sun rose over dublin and it was time to board my flight. the flight lasted 5 seconds. I got on, fell straight to sleep. woke up and i was there.

Had to get the train to coventry. This was about 730am or so, so the airport station is packed full of sharp business suit type commuters, as you would expect on a tuesday. there I am, hungover as anything, u2 shirt on, stinking from dancing all night, bit of beard, can hardly keep my bloodshot eyes open.... haha. must have been quite the sight.

got home and just reflected. best. gig. ever

saw u2 in dublin - check
got real close - check
met u2006com youtube dude - check
went pub crawling with hunderds of other u2 fans all night - check
heard my favourite songs - check
met other leeds fans (!!) - check

not bad for a first gig, no?

probably ommiting some details but it was properly amazing. the town was alive, living, breathing U2 that night.

:)
« Last Edit: July 25, 2010, 07:28:41 PM by ciaz »

Offline TheEdgeIn4D~Too much is NOT enough! {T-PEP}

• Up With the Sun
  • Exile...
« Reply #26 on: July 25, 2010, 07:29:48 PM »
wow ciaz. Just wow! What a great experience!

Offline ciaz

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #27 on: July 25, 2010, 07:36:39 PM »
Thanks, 4d! Yours sounded amazing too... i know exactly what you mean. something happens at these shows and your soul really does go flying.

Offline NOLA Fly

• Staring at the Sun
  • Feel like trash, You make me feel clean...
« Reply #28 on: July 25, 2010, 08:03:18 PM »
I wrote a blog entry about it a couple years back.  It includes a couple other concerts as well.  I'll just re-post it here.  I wrote it while waiting for No Line On The Horizon To Come Out.  I know, it's a little long, but there's a chuckle or two in there.

There are concerts and then there are Concerts.

I read today that the next U2 album is almost finished and that the band will begin another tour in the spring. It got me to thinking about my favorite concert experiences over the years and how the really good ones can stick with you and even change you. The ones where your mind is truly blown and you know this particular event will be the measuring stick by which you measure all future music going endeavors. You know, the kind where the whole is far more than the sum of it's parts.

Those moments are usually few and far between. I mean, sure, I've been to a lot of concerts that I've really liked, but rarely have I walked away trying to pick my jaw up off the floor knowing full well I'll never be able to describe the experience to any of my friends who weren't there. For me, it's only happened three times. First was U2 in Houston on the Vertigo tour. I distinctly remember seeing Edge walking out of the back doors of the arena on his way to the stage as the lights were going down and shouting "It's the Edge!" like a little girl to our entire section. What can I say? I'm a huge fan. It's not every day you get to see your heroes in action.

Anyway, for the next two and a half hours, they blew the doors off the place. "I Will Follow" was stunning, "Sunday Bloody Sunday" was like a punch in the chest, "Where the Streets Have No Name" exploded, and when they broke into "I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For," I think God Himself walked through the room, as Bono would say. I at least know He tapped me on the shoulder way up in the third level of the arena. Afterwards, my beautiful wife, who was only a moderate U2 fan at the time, was transformed into a true believer. She even went out and bought a pair of Converse shoes like the Edge. I loved her more immediately.

The next time was Springsteen at Jazzfest in New Orleans with the Seeger Sessions Band. This was the first Jazzfest after Hurricane Katrina and the first public performance of Springsteen with the Sessions Band. I was really curious to see how the music would come across since he would be performing mostly reworked covers of old folk songs. I was already expecting the event to be somewhat of a bittersweet experience because, although I was excited to finally see him live, I knew he wouldn't be playing much of his music. I also hate outdoor music festivals. It's a million degrees and the smell of old hippies and port-o-lets don't really do it for me.

It turned out I didn't need to worry. He rocked a bunch of century old folk songs harder than Jason Bourne works a beat down. He even reworked some of his songs for good measure. If you're interested, check out the reworked version of "Open All Night" from the Live in Dublin CD; it's pretty awesome. The best was at the end when he sang a slow version of "When the Saints Go Marching In" and "My City of Ruins." It was a healing experience for the city. Grown men cried. I think even the group smoking all the weed behind me was touched. It was kinda hard to tell, though; they were really high.

The third time was Springsteen in Dallas this year on the Magic tour. However, this time it was full on E Street, baby. The best part was no third level seats for me this time; my wife's friend worked at the arena and got us second row seats. If you've never had the experience of walking into one of your favorite artist's concerts and then being able to walk all the way down to the front to take your seat, put it on your bucket list. It beats the hell out of climbing some stupid mountain with Morgan Freeman. No offense, Morgan; loved you in The Shawshank Redemption.

Now, as it gets closer to go time, my wife and I notice that there are four seats still open right behind us. Next thing you know, right before the lights go down, Troy Aikman and posse emerge from the backstage area and are escorted to the empty seats. The other guys sitting behind us must have been locals because they were real impressed. Being a Saints fan and a lifelong Cowboys hater, it gave me immense pleasure to know that I had better seats. Granted it's only one row difference, but, seriously, Troy, you have three Super Bowl rings and I have none, and I still came to your town, worked better connections, and snagged better seats. Suck on that, Aikman! I hope you don't get another concussion from falling down while trying to look around me to see the stage. Who knows, maybe if you're lucky, Bruce will play "Glory Days" for you, old man. I consider this situation a small victory for Saints fans everywhere.

Anyway, lights go down and Bruce and E Street come out. They begin with the build up of "Tenth Avenue Freeze Out" and then explode. It is the best opening I've ever witnessed; simple and powerful. It ties "I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For" for my favorite concert moment. It was like being hit in the face with a bucket of awesome. And things only got better from there. When the man pulls out "Because the Night" and his cover of "Trapped," you know it's going to be a good night. If U2 was the most awe-inspiring concert I've ever seen, then this one was the most fun. Granted, second row seats may have helped just a bit, but it was truly a brilliant performance. "Born to Run" was as powerful and transcendent as ever, while modern classics like "The Rising" and "Long Walk Home" sounded even better live, and that's saying a lot.

Aikman must have played his cards right, because for the encore Bruce brought out Jon Bon Jovi (the poor man's Springsteen) to help sing "Glory Days." This greatly pleased my wife (I'm sure for a very different reason). I mean, he's all right looking and all, but he's no John Stamos......I think I've said too much. Anyway, the evening ended with a bang, coming to a close with "Dancing in the Dark" (again, better live) and "American Land." It was a unifying conclusion to an exhilarating and uplifting evening. We had all been thoroughly rocked and still left wanting more. And that's the mark of a great concert, I guess. It has a spirit about it that speaks to something deep within us -- whether it helps heal some wound, makes us appreciate someone or something that we've been neglecting, or simply reaffirms our common bonds and need for each other -- and you don't want to let go of it. Those are the ones that matter. Those are the ones you take with you.

My wife and I took it with us and immediately got lost on a Dallas toll road. Stupid MapQuest. But even a 45 minute detour couldn't dampen our spirits. We knew that the night had been a gift and a blessing. And, now, possibly a one time experience since my inside ticket connection got a new job. GAAHHHHHHH! Well, it was good while it lasted. No worries, though, Tiff, I'm happy for you and will be forever grateful. You're name is pretty much etched in stone at the top of my favorites list of my wife's friends. Seriously, if I ever have a daughter, there's a good chance she'll be named Tiffany. Hell, even if it's a boy. Those were some good seats.

Now, as the anticipation of a new U2 album grows daily and a new tour looms on the horizon, I find myself looking forward to experiencing that connection again and coming out changed on the other side. That's what great music does. It gives us hope and brings us together. It shows us that we don't have to become a monster in order to defeat a monster, that even a broken city can be rebuilt if we have faith and help and love one another, and that if it's going to be a long walk home we should hold our heads up and keep going because it's worth it. And, of course, it should also be a lot of fun. And, who knows, on a really good night, you might find that God will walk through the room and tap you on the shoulder. That's what I hope for, anyway. Now whether that's on the third level or the second row, Tiffany, that's where you come in. You know, maybe if you still have some connections and it's not too much trouble.......just think about it. Well, I guess I'll just have to cross that bridge when I get there. But in the meantime, pump your fist and sing it with me, "Tramps like us, baby, we were born to run!!"

« Last Edit: July 25, 2010, 08:06:52 PM by NOLA Fly »

Offline bonofaninaustin

• Party Girl/Boy
  • Time leaves us polished stones
« Reply #29 on: July 25, 2010, 08:32:55 PM »
My first U2 concert was on Oct 11, 1987
Venue: Silver Stadium

Opening Act(s): Little Steven & The Disciples of Soul, Los Lobos

Main Set: Where the Streets..., I Will Follow, Trip Through Your Wires, I Still Haven't Found, MLK, The Unforgettable Fire, Exit, In God's Country, Sunday Bloody Sunday, Help, People Get Ready, Bad, October, New Year's Day, Pride

Encore(s): Bullet The Blue Sky, Running To Stand Still, With or Without You, 40

I had just been married on Sept 18, 1987 and this was my new husband's birthday. This concert was delayed about a month due to Bono injuring his arm. This was outdoors...October in Rochester, NY is pretty cold. I think it was in the 50s during the day. Bono still had his arm in a sling, but he did remove the sling once so that he could play guitar. My then husband and I were seated in the stands. He had a bit of a temper (one reason we are no longer together) and nearly got into a fist fight with some guys in front of us. But it was a fantastic experience seeing the boys for the first time with my new husband, who always supported my fandom. My love for their music grew after this concert. I remember the build up for the opening of Streets and Edge's guitar on Bullet, those are the stand outs from this show. It has ended up not being my favorite concert I have seen. That is reserved for the Zoo TV Outside Broadcast in Toronto, Canada in 1993. Second is the Vertigo Tour in Buffalo, NY.

« Last Edit: July 25, 2010, 09:28:01 PM by bonofaninaustin »