Author Topic: Lost your U2 mojo?  (Read 18593 times)

Offline Tassoula

• Babyface
Lost your U2 mojo?
« on: February 14, 2012, 04:09:13 PM »
Hi all,

I'm working on a piece about fans who have had a crises of faith of sorts in regard to U2. Folks who have gone through periods of time where they were sick of the band, where the music didn't move them anymore, where they had no desire to see them live in concert.

Anyone experienced that?

I never have, so it's difficult for me to understand.  ;)

Your replies are much appreciated!

Offline The Exile

• Up With the Sun
  • It's all ball bearings nowadays.
Re: Lost your U2 mojo?
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2012, 05:00:58 PM »
Not a "crisis," but a kind of sustained sense of disappointment, if that makes sense. If you want me to elaborate, let me know!

Offline Tassoula

• Babyface
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2012, 05:02:43 PM »
The Exile: Does the sustained disappointment make you not want to listen to them? Even the old stuff?

Offline The Exile

• Up With the Sun
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2012, 05:07:27 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
The Exile: Does the sustained disappointment make you not want to listen to them? Even the old stuff?

No, I listen to them almost daily (and I have never passed up a chance to see them live). But I never listen to Behind or Bomb, and when I listen to NLOTH it's in the form of a 14-song playlist I created. I listen to my various '90s playlists often, with the '80s stuff a bit less often.

Basically, I have been listening to this band for so long, and have developed such strong opinions about everything they do, that I find it difficult to be satisfied with what they have actually released post-Pop, in the form they've released it. I just have to tweak and modify it in some way to make it more akin to the U2 I wish existed outside my own imagination!

Offline Johnny Feathers

• Elevated
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2012, 05:41:19 PM »
Yeah, I'm in the "old fan/unhappy with their current stuff" camp.  For the first time, I sort of had to be convinced (by my gf) to see them for the 360 tour.  The combination of a strong dislike for NLOTH, the price of tickets, and the choice to play stadiums all contributed to my reluctance.  We went, and were both a bit disappointed with the result--their choice to emphasize their 00's material didn't help.  It might be fair to call me an "ex-fan" at this point, but I guess I'm still hopeful they'll do something to impress me again.  But I still listen to their 80's - 90's stuff fairly regularly, or at least in phases, and don't think their later stuff reflects poorly on the earlier stuff I love.

Offline JTBaby

• Elevated
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2012, 06:24:55 PM »
Oh no, of course not.

Nothing says "relevance" more than a 50 year old guy wearing eyeliner and talking about getting more radio airplay.

visitors can't see pics , please You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login or You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline The Exile

• Up With the Sun
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2012, 06:36:30 PM »
Oh no, of course not.

Nothing says "relevance" more than a 50 year old guy wearing eyeliner and talking about getting more radio airplay.

visitors can't see pics , please You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login or You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Bono should french Bieber like he did Liam back in the day. That would propel U2 to relevance, I bet.

Offline JBS

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2012, 06:39:35 PM »
Hi, I sort of went through something like that.

Overall I liked ATYCLB and while HTDAAB will probably never be in my top 5, the Vertigo Tour was the only chance I've had to see the band live so, I'm more partial to the album than I normally would be.

NLOTH really was not for me though and I tried really hard to find reasons to like it (there's a few songs on it I like but as an album it's my least favorite).

That sort of culminated in me just losing interest in the band for the first time since I became a fan around 92. When the Achtung Box Set came out though that re-inspired my interest which led to me joining the forums here over the past weekend.

Offline briscoetheque

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • R-E-S-T-E-C-P
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2012, 07:33:01 PM »
From 2000 to 2005 I really dropped off the wagon.

My excitement post 1998 was so high that it just came crashing down with the release of ATYCLB. I stopped listening to them - although they're not a band I listen to a lot of these days either (outside when albums get released). I don't have U2 CDs in my car.

Bomb drew me back in, not Vertigo, but Original of the Species and Sometimes You Can't Make It, specifically.

Passengers and Pop had given me such hope, and ATYCLB just disappointed me so much.

it may have been different had elevation toured Australia... perhaps... not sure.

But I just wasn't that interested. I got into lots of other stuff, both old and new, from bands I found more interesting in that 5 year period. 

jacob

« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2012, 08:20:13 AM »
I lost my mojo twice.

First with the release of Rattle & Hum. A boring album built on cliché’s (I could predict every next rhyme word and chord change on first listen).  The slick sound and mainstream appeal of the Joshua tree already were a bit of a downer for me. With Rattle & Hum it was two disappointing albums in a row. I was convinced U2 was finished: just another band who ran out of ideas.

Then they proved me wrong with Achtung Baby.

The second time was with pop. Some of their best work there but too much pretension. I was’t that much impressed by the “experimentation” (filler is filler even when covered up with endless drumloops). In the concert I went to somehow the pop-songs didn’t work. I remember a frustrated bono  throwing himself in the audience at some point, making his way through a few rows of people. Which was very heroic and very desperate. Again I felt they had come to an end.

Then they came up with atyclb, which is flooded with killer tunes. They surprised me again because I didn’t think they were able to write those.

Jacob

Offline KitCat

• Precious Stone
  • looking for a way up
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2012, 09:06:46 AM »
I don't know if it qualifies as such, but I didn't listen to them at all for about a year. U2 had introduced me to rock music and I listened to them ad nauseam; but I branched out into different types of music and started listening to heaver, darker and more metallic things, this took over and I stopped listening to U2. I then moved onto blues and roots, swing and jazz; eventually I came back to U2, wiser in the world of music and I realised why exactly I loved them so much. There simply isn't a band that compares with them, they create a little bit of magic. I never stopped liking U2, I simply broadened my horizons, which I would never have done without them anyway.

People crap on the newer albums, but I think I like them all because I did diversify into so many different areas of music that I developed an appreciation for many kinds of music (though ATYCLB is a collection of singles and not an album).

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • I won't pay the usual fee
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2012, 09:47:05 AM »
Oh no, of course not.

Wasn't Bono just being ironic?

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • I won't pay the usual fee
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2012, 09:51:29 AM »
Peaks and troughs, peaks and troughs.

Offline Allie79

• Numb
  • Mild, green and squeaky clean
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2012, 09:51:35 AM »
I seem to have lost my U2 mojo a bit. It's like JTBaby said; a 50 year old guy wearing eyeliner and complaining about relevance and airplay on popular radiostations is a bit sad. It is such a contrast to 1992 when Bono famously said that they didn't need the pop kids. What has happened?!

Offline maymay

• Up With the Sun
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2012, 11:24:47 AM »
I first became a fan around the ZooTV tour, even though I did not see them live then. In '97 PopMart came in my country which got me really excited about them for year or two.

But then nothing happened. U2 was no longer at the headlines and due to the lack of internet in the late 90's, I lost my connection to U2.

Years passed, I moved forward with my life. Saw some other great bands play live, heard some new U2 hits being played in the radio. One Rainy autumn day in 2009 my sister called me about U2 360 coming to my country - after a 13 year long wait. While waiting for the tour to make it here, I wandered to this forum and thanks to you all,  I found my inner U2 fan - stronger than ever before!

;D