Author Topic: The magic of U2' music to your soul  (Read 3027 times)

Offline neofolk

• Stranger in a Strange Land
The magic of U2' music to your soul
« on: October 30, 2008, 09:42:38 AM »
Hi folks. I'd like to ask you for a favour. (Please forgive me my English, I'm not English but Czech. thx)

I love the creation of U2's 80s and early 90s. (I like the whole U2 of course but this stage is a piece of heaven for me). As for 80s I'd poke out Joshua and Lovetown tour. But as for some songs of AB or Zooropa I can't help falling in "depresions" when I have to admit myself that songs like So Cruel, Wild Horses, Tryin' to Throw Your Arms or Stay are just out of reach. The atmosphere is gone when I listen to them now, the heaven inside these songs always escapes. It just evaporates.

I wasn't there when Achtung Baby was released, I wasn't on any ZooTV show. I was born in 1992. But I absolutely wish I'd been there (or any JT or Lovetown tour concert). Because production of U2 nowadays has already lost its magic I think. ATYCLB or Bomb are still one of the best albums but it's not like then when the music of U2 was so close to heaven (but this is only my feeling, it depends).
So I'd like to ask you for a favour.
Have you been there? How was that? What do you remember what you'll never forget? What do you think about and what do you imagine when you listen to the absolutely great Edge's guitar riff in the refrain of Stay (that riff definitely cannot have its origin in this world)? Has So Cruel ever been your background listening when you were suffering from break up? What are your Wild Horses connected with? Any memories, thoughts or moments of your life? How AB or Zooropa (and ZooTv) is a soundtrack of your life?

You can write about any song of course.

Thank U.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2008, 09:57:36 AM by neofolk »

Offline HUNGRYTICKETS

• Wanderer
Re: The magic of U2' music to your soul
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2008, 03:58:26 PM »
wow! That experience is deep. I also feel their music in my bones. Deep.
Though, I never had a depressing moment caused by their music.
To me they are more like a warm blanket, touching me with only comfort.
I am convinced that when I enter Heaven, I will hear U2 music.
God Bless you.

btw: you write and communicate English very well!

Offline neofolk

• Stranger in a Strange Land
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2008, 01:02:31 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
wow! That experience is deep. I also feel their music in my bones. Deep.
Though, I never had a depressing moment caused by their music.
To me they are more like a warm blanket, touching me with only comfort.
I am convinced that when I enter Heaven, I will hear U2 music.
God Bless you.

btw: you write and communicate English very well!
Oh, I didn't mean real depression at all, I've put it in quotes, 'cause it isn't a depression really, it is kinda melancholy. Sorry, my fault;) You know, it is a feeling when you say to yourself: 'Oh my God, that's so beautiful' but on the other side you know that the only thing you can do is just to listen to it (at the most you can jump on it, dance on it, fancifully play guitar...) but you can't catch the song and that feeling. Do you know what I mean?

Can I have a question, what are your favourites from AB and Zoo?

BTW: Are you a christian?

Offline Joe90usa

• Airborne Ranger
  • Dragons Rule! Catfish Drool.
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2008, 01:53:21 PM »
Neofolk,

You might enjoy reading the "Like A Song" series of essays that the staff has written about U2 songs affect them.  You can check them out here:

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline TheFlyingLemon

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2008, 12:21:46 AM »
There have been occasions when U2 songs have made me cry in amazement like Stay and Walk On.  :-X