Author Topic: The U2 of the 2000's  (Read 10471 times)

Offline edge245

• Refugee
Re: The U2 of the 2000's
« Reply #45 on: October 18, 2013, 03:26:38 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Remember when U2's mantra during the War Tour was "we're waging a war against boring, wallpaper music"?  Well the irony is that for the last 13 years U2's music has become exactly that.  It's safe, radio-friendly, commercial; it will get played on all the adult rock stations, etc.  They became the band that NARAS (the governing body that votes on the grammys) said in 2000, "you know what, you're still standing after more than 2+ decades, will give you our votes to give you more grammys, even though your hardcore fans would probably argue that your peak creative, artistic years were from the mid-80's to early 90's."

This is a myth.

U2 received more radio airplay with the POP album than they did with ATYCLB, HTDAAB, or NLOTH. Its to ATYCLB and HTDAAB credit that they both heavily outsold POP despite receiving less radio airplay!

Oh and the "governing body" that votes on the grammy's includes about 17,000 people, most of them artist, engineers, and producers involved in the creation of music. Everyone from Radiohead, Metallica, Sting, U2, Foo Fighters, Coldplay, Taylor Swift, Britney Spears, Eminem, Jay-Z, Josh Groben, Garth Brooks, Willie Nelson, and Norah Jones are members of the academy and vote every year. Most artist like to win grammy's because it is recognition from your peers in the music industry, people involved in writing or recording music.

Offline neilkap

• Stateless
« Reply #46 on: October 18, 2013, 03:35:30 PM »
Doesn't matter who votes on it. The only thing that matters is one's personal opinion of the album.

Offline soapit

• Precious Stone
« Reply #47 on: October 18, 2013, 04:03:55 PM »
Remember when U2's mantra during the War Tour was "we're waging a war against boring, wallpaper music"?  Well the irony is that for the last 13 years U2's music has become exactly that.  It's safe, radio-friendly, commercial; it will get played on all the adult rock stations, etc.  They became the band that NARAS (the governing body that votes on the grammys) said in 2000, "you know what, you're still standing after more than 2+ decades, will give you our votes to give you more grammys, even though your hardcore fans would probably argue that your peak creative, artistic years were from the mid-80's to early 90's."

This is a myth.

U2 received more radio airplay with the POP album than they did with ATYCLB, HTDAAB, or NLOTH. Its to ATYCLB and HTDAAB credit that they both heavily outsold POP despite receiving less radio airplay!

Oh and the "governing body" that votes on the grammy's includes about 17,000 people, most of them artist, engineers, and producers involved in the creation of music. Everyone from Radiohead, Metallica, Sting, U2, Foo Fighters, Coldplay, Taylor Swift, Britney Spears, Eminem, Jay-Z, Josh Groben, Garth Brooks, Willie Nelson, and Norah Jones are members of the academy and vote every year. Most artist like to win grammy's because it is recognition from your peers in the music industry, people involved in writing or recording music.

ur not going to get too far arguing the quality of the grammys. better stick to proving to everyone how ludicrously successful pop was.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2013, 04:06:54 PM by soapit »

Offline neilkap

• Stateless
« Reply #48 on: October 18, 2013, 04:08:36 PM »
I heard beautiful day and vertigo on the radio a lot more often than I heard discotheque So I think that argument is bogus too.

Offline So Cruel

• Elevated
  • it ain't no sin to be glad that you're alive
« Reply #49 on: October 18, 2013, 04:57:37 PM »
I heard beautiful day and vertigo on the radio a lot more often than I heard discotheque So I think that argument is bogus too.

Yup, Beautiful Day is still on the radio all the time, 13 years after it was released. I think I heard Discotheque for about a month in '97 on the radio, and that was only 'cause it was the new U2 song.

Offline parkman

• Wanderer
  • His love is continually teaching me how to kneel.
« Reply #50 on: October 18, 2013, 04:58:55 PM »
Look up the charts

First of all, Pop was coming after Achtung Baby and Zooropa and Zoo TV. HIGHLY popular stuff. And people didn't like it as much and it still sold a lot.
ATYCLB came after Pop. Pop people didn't like. ATYCLB, still sold more. A testament that it really was a great album in many people's eyes.

Secondly, it's one thing to say you don't like U2's recent stuff, it's another thing to say it's bad or "dad". Obviously, most people don't think it's bad or "dad".
Stop bashing. It ain't cool.

Offline edge245

• Refugee
« Reply #51 on: October 18, 2013, 05:12:33 PM »

Well, in terms of national radio airplay that is electronically monitored by Broadcast Data Systems with the results for each week, this is how each albums singles did in terms of strictly radio airplay in the United States. This is where each song peaked on the HOT 100 AIRPLAY Chart in published weekly in Billboard.

POP
01. Discotheque #22
02. Staring At The Sun #16
03. Last Night On Earth #74
04. Please - failed to chart
05. If God Would Send His Angels - failed to chart

ATYCLB
01. Beautiful Day #19
02. Walk On - failed to chart
03. Elevation - failed to chart
04. Stuck In A Moment #52

HTDAAB
01. Vertigo #30
02. All Because Of You - failed to chart
03. Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own - failed to chart
04. City Of Blinding Lights - failed to chart
05. Original Of The Species - failed to chart

NLOTH
01. Get On Your Boots - failed to chart
02. Magnificent - failed to chart
03. I'll Go Crazy If I Don't Go Crazy Tonight - failed to chart

Now POP's USA national radio airplay was by no means spectacular, but it was better than any U2 album in the 00s. The amazing thing is that despite much lower airplay levels, ATYCLB and HTDAAB each sold three times as many albums as POP did in the United States.

Offline an tha

• Airborne Ranger
  • You can swallow, or you can spit.
« Reply #52 on: October 18, 2013, 05:16:02 PM »

Well, in terms of national radio airplay that is electronically monitored by Broadcast Data Systems with the results for each week, this is how each albums singles did in terms of strictly radio airplay in the United States. This is where each song peaked on the HOT 100 AIRPLAY Chart in published weekly in Billboard.

POP
01. Discotheque #22
02. Staring At The Sun #16
03. Last Night On Earth #74
04. Please - failed to chart
05. If God Would Send His Angels - failed to chart

ATYCLB
01. Beautiful Day #19
02. Walk On - failed to chart
03. Elevation - failed to chart
04. Stuck In A Moment #52

HTDAAB
01. Vertigo #30
02. All Because Of You - failed to chart
03. Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own - failed to chart
04. City Of Blinding Lights - failed to chart
05. Original Of The Species - failed to chart

NLOTH
01. Get On Your Boots - failed to chart
02. Magnificent - failed to chart
03. I'll Go Crazy If I Don't Go Crazy Tonight - failed to chart

Now POP's USA national radio airplay was by no means spectacular, but it was better than any U2 album in the 00s. The amazing thing is that despite much lower airplay levels, ATYCLB and HTDAAB each sold three times as many albums as POP did in the United States.

There is just no accounting for how bad the general publics taste can be!

Offline edge245

• Refugee
« Reply #53 on: October 18, 2013, 05:18:29 PM »

Yup, Beautiful Day is still on the radio all the time, 13 years after it was released. I think I heard Discotheque for about a month in '97 on the radio, and that was only 'cause it was the new U2 song.

True, but that is not what is being compared. Its the initial 1 to 2 years when an album receives the lions share of its airplay as well as most of its sales, especially in the 21st century.

Offline edge245

• Refugee
« Reply #54 on: October 18, 2013, 05:21:23 PM »

This is a myth.

ur not going to get too far arguing the quality of the grammys. better stick to proving to everyone how ludicrously successful pop was.

I never said POP was a huge success. It received more radio airplay than ATYCLB and HTDAAB, but sold much less than those albums. The fact that the songs from POP were played more but the album sold much less than the next two only further emphasis the relative failure of POP.

Offline parkman

• Wanderer
  • His love is continually teaching me how to kneel.
« Reply #55 on: October 18, 2013, 06:33:46 PM »
If you ask me, Pop is one of the best albums ever. I thoroughly like it too. I just wouldn't call U2's other later stuff bad by any means, even if I didn't like it!  ;)

Offline neilkap

• Stateless
« Reply #56 on: October 22, 2013, 10:34:00 AM »
Depends how you define failure.

I know I've heard beautiful day and vertigo a lot more on the radio. Both then and now.

POP was a massive artistic success. Whereas Htdaab was a massive failure.

Offline Kurukira

• Numb
  • Don't Expect, Suggest.
« Reply #57 on: October 22, 2013, 11:21:21 AM »
I'd consider 2000s U2 a cooling off period musically after the insanity of the 90s.  I really don't research chart numbers on these things, I just go by my gut on this one.

Offline edge245

• Refugee
« Reply #58 on: October 22, 2013, 03:44:08 PM »
Depends how you define failure.

I know I've heard beautiful day and vertigo a lot more on the radio. Both then and now.

POP was a massive artistic success. Whereas Htdaab was a massive failure.

Well, there is what you hear on the radio as one person and then what electronic monitoring of radio airplay says about what is being played across an entire country like the United States. Perhaps in Birmingham Alabama, Vertigo received a higher level of airplay when it was released than Staring At The Sun. But nationally, that was not the case. Its a fact that Staring At The Sun made it to #16 in national radio airplay across the United States, while Vertigo peaked at #30!

POP was a relative failure both in terms of sales and artistically. Even the band has admitted this. They failed to finish the album. They needed another 6 to 8  months in the studio to finish it, but they had already booked the tour so they simply dropped their raw unfinished product on the public in March 1997. The only songs that feel completely finished and polished on the album are the first three songs, Discotheque, Do You Feel Loved and Mofo. The rest of the songs on the album either need to be re-written or re-recorded, and the band tried to do that with Please before it was released as a single.

HTDAAB was an amazing success for U2. Its U2's third best album and the greatest album released so far in the 21st century. It has sold 10 million copies and won 8 Grammy awards including album of the year. The tour in support of the album grossed almost $400 million dollars and was attended by almost 5 million people. There is always someone out there that is going to call any album terrible or a failure, even the Joshua Tree and Achtung Baby would not be immune to some individuals saying that. But the majority of U2 fans and music fans consider HTDAAB to be a success and so does the band!

Offline neilkap

• Stateless
« Reply #59 on: October 22, 2013, 04:06:30 PM »
Most fans here, ie U2 fans not the here today gone tomorrow types, agree pop was the greater success. All the polls you started as bethere showed that.

Ultimately the ONLY thing that matters is what one personally thinks of the albums.

And I don't know or care what's played in Birmingham or nationally, but I know I rarely heard a Pop song on the radio and beautiful day and vertigo were played relentlessly