Author Topic: "Leave U2 Alone: Why did one of our best rock bands become so loathed?"  (Read 7640 times)

SpookyElectric

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
U2 aren't loathed, or hated or even disliked.  They're just not cool and for obvious reasons.

I guess that is why the last tour was the highest attended and highest grossing by any music artist in history? You sure do make a lot of money and attract a lot of people being uncool.

Warren Buffett does and so did Phil Collins

Offline SlyDanner

• Precious Stone
  • A white dope on punk staring into the flash.
The problem is Bono has created a perfect storm in that on any day, he can be hated by both left and right - artists with political interests were generally supposed to be the darlings of one and idiots for the other. You could say Bono has broken new ground. He has been both brave and brilliant in doing so but by being this mass of contradictions to achieve both campaigner success and entertainment / business success he has left himself open to attack from all sides.

I do wonder if John Lennon would have been the model for this if he had lived. Of course in the UK, we would have let him get away with a lot. Bono doesn't because he was born on the wrong side of that bit of water.

If Bono were a Brit, they would tear him apart there as well.  Yeah the Irish are known for it, but it's not like that doesn't happen in the UK, or lots of other places for that matter...

Offline an tha

• Airborne Ranger
  • You can swallow, or you can spit.
I think Bono would get the easiest ride so to speak if he was American, bigger country, less of a goldfish bowl, generally I think more receptive to Bono's personality and a little less cynical about superstars.

I think Bono knows that as well and that is one of the reasons he has embraced American culture so much and even some might say been a bit of a faux American at times.

Offline Johnny_Mac12

• Refugee
Lol the first entry in the urban dictionary under U2 is hilarious.

I do seem to know a lot of people who hate Bono and U2. Few of them know anything about U2 except that U2 put an album on their phone and that the cover is gay. Oh yeah and that U2 is old. Very often the comversation goes like this:
Friend: U2 sucks
Me: you should actually try listening the them
Friend: I have
Me: name one song
Friend: I don't know

Some "trianed musician" the other week told me that Bono sings off key in every song. After hearing that guy sing, I think he could use a few pointers from Bono.

However, most of the people that hate on Bono are younger. Whenever I talk to someone older about U2, they either like them or respect them. Bono haters are not the majority. However, they are the majority of young people. Young people run the Internet, which is why at times it seems like almost everyone hates Bono.

SpookyElectric

I think Bono would get the easiest ride so to speak if he was American, bigger country, less of a goldfish bowl, generally I think more receptive to Bono's personality and a little less cynical about superstars.

I think Bono knows that as well and that is one of the reasons he has embraced American culture so much and even some might say been a bit of a faux American at times.

America's where the money at. at least it has been for U2.

SpookyElectric

+ Americans admire success whereas Europeans resent it and envy it. hence the high taxes.

Offline jjcruiser

• Intellectual Tortoise
I think there are some astute comments in here about how ability attracts criticism.

+ Americans admire success whereas Europeans resent it and envy it. hence the high taxes.

That's not universally true or even mostly true.  Hence 99% movements in the U.S.

There certainly is a ton of anti-Bono sentiment out there... JJ I don't know where you live but hard to believe you don't see it... or maybe you just tune it out and forget it which is fine...

Even a casual stroll through these forum halls will show you Bono inspires mixed feelings even amongst the faithful... i.e. the hardcore fans... my personal view for example is that while the haters can be ridiculous, I also recognize he gives them plenty of oxygen to fan the flames, unfortunately...

I'm 42.  I grew up on AB through college, where all my friends liked U2 but most of them thought I was fanatical.  I occasionally run into people who dislike the band but it's rare.  I don't hear a lot from people who dislike Bono.  When I do, I tend to get a little vocal about how selfish, arrogant, and myopic his detractors are.  On reflection, I had a conversation with my brother (not a U2 fan) that went like this:

Bro:  Obama won the Nobel.
Me:  Greatest tragedy in Nobel laureate history is that award not going to Bono.
Bro:  The rock star?  He's annoying because...uh...
Me:  He's the loudest voice for humanitarian aid for the developing world since Mother Theresa?
*pause*
Bro:  I liked that song they sing with Mary J. Blige.
Me:  That sucked.  The live version at Modena with Brian Eno is much better.
Bro:  Whatever.

So maybe I tune it out. 

I think it's fair to criticize his voice or singing style.  I know people like Bob Dylan.  I can't stand Bob Dylan.  So I don't mind that.  I think it's fair to criticize their music in general.  If you like Garth Brooks--I got nothing for you.  But if it's really occurring, I think it's irresponsibly idiotic to criticize Bono for his humanitarian efforts, tax shelter notions, or political alliances.  This is not unique to Bono--I routinely hear criticism of other humanitarians/missionaries/Peace Corps/etc., because they aren't doing their particular humanitarian efforts exactly the way the criticizer would like.  I think that kind of criticism is one of the worst and least justifiable kinds of criticism in the world and it makes me furious like almost nothing else.

Okay off my soapbox now. 

Still an interesting article and discussion.

« Last Edit: July 07, 2015, 03:35:35 PM by jjcruiser »

SpookyElectric

I think there are some astute comments in here about how ability attracts criticism.

That's not universally true or even mostly true.  Hence 99% movements in the U.S.

I says it is

Offline jjcruiser

• Intellectual Tortoise

I says it is

Except see, e.g., hatred of Wall Street, of Lebron James, of the New England Patriots, of Congress, of Monsanto, of the pretty girl in school, of David Hasselhoff...

need I go on?

:)

SpookyElectric

I says it is

Except see, e.g., hatred of Wall Street, of Lebron James, of the New England Patriots, of Congress, of Monsanto, of the pretty girl in school, of David Hasselhoff...

need I go on?

:)

I'm not convinced. sorry

Offline Mr. Red

• Headache in a Suitcase
I don't think many can argue what Bono has accomplished from a humanitarian standpoint. I think simply put, It's his overall approach to things and how he presents himself that grates people. It's so ego driven and the guy just never goes away. I think if he did things just a little bit more behind the scenes then he wouldn't be so loathed. Take Adam as an example. Now of course he is not the front man but ever read an interview with him or hear him talk about his charity work or even their music?? He just comes across as so much more genuine and honest and not spot light driven. His entire approach is so much better. And quite frankly, he is just so much cooler. Bono just tries too hard all the time and is a self acknowledged megalomaniac. For me, I try to separate my current feelings about Bono from the music but admittedly, it is hard sometimes to do that.

SpookyElectric

my guess is bono has a healthy IDGAF attitude

Offline Tuolumne

• Stateless
I don't think many can argue what Bono has accomplished from a humanitarian standpoint. I think simply put, It's his overall approach to things and how he presents himself that grates people. It's so ego driven and the guy just never goes away. I think if he did things just a little bit more behind the scenes then he wouldn't be so loathed. Take Adam as an example. Now of course he is not the front man but ever read an interview with him or hear him talk about his charity work or even their music?? He just comes across as so much more genuine and honest and not spot light driven. His entire approach is so much better. And quite frankly, he is just so much cooler. Bono just tries too hard all the time and is a self acknowledged megalomaniac. For me, I try to separate my current feelings about Bono from the music but admittedly, it is hard sometimes to do that.

The difference between the two is Bono has the vast amount of currency generated by being the famous frontman. Adam doesn't attract the cameras even if he wanted them to. When you have the media hounding you constantly as the larger-than-life lead singer of one of the most successful bands in the world, the wisest thing you can do with that is to spend that currency on something more worthwhile, like HIV/AIDS, debt relief, Africa, etc. The media want their rockstar trainwreck excess and Bono gives them something more serious, something that pricks the conscience and it makes them uncomfortable, 

Offline ultravioletlight

• Numb
  • Chicago, IL
I think it's mostly young people.

Offline imaginary friend

• Airborne Ranger
  • the vaccine for your wack scene
The band should revel in the hate. After all, consider the sources.