Poll

Would you like to see Boots brought back on this tour?

Yes
No

Author Topic: Get on your Boots Reprised  (Read 2014 times)

macfoley

Re: Get on your Boots Reprised
« Reply #30 on: July 08, 2015, 03:54:17 PM »
Boots has their time in Morocco all over it. The music and rhythms, chords changes and the influence is there.

Just Bono's part is the problem.

SpookyElectric

« Reply #31 on: July 08, 2015, 03:57:39 PM »
I'm not a big fan of it on record but I thought it was one of the highlights of 360 (seriously) and so if they wanted to shake things up in the second set and play a song to represent NLOTH than they could do a lot worse than Boots.  Still, I'm disappointed by the poll results but I guess I got an answer to my question.

Offline lemonPOP

• Refugee
  • Love is a temple
« Reply #32 on: July 08, 2015, 04:06:53 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Boots gets too much hate in my view.

Ok it isn't a very good song, but I believe it was a good idea just badly executed.....There is experimental intent in there and some pretty cool sounds, it's just u2 have become middle aged men who have lost their ear for edgy and it ended up being clunky like pretty much all their 'rockier' songs post Pop.

But at least with boots there is something different there, the let me in the sound part is pretty good, it's let down badly by the lyrics and the sound of the verses.

There is some quite dirty guitar work around the chorus and if you compare it to banal sh**e like elevation for example it's much better...it of course isn't as easy to get as elevation so a bit like Pop people rubbish it...

U2 have many worse songs in their post Pop cannon than boots, it did sort of kick ar*e live as well at times.

The verses sound needed fattening and roughing up a bit, the lyrics are bad in places but sonically I like it's intent and some of what it delivers.

It's a jarring song I suppose with an experimental heart and the bones of a pretty cool idea that 20 years ago I reckon they would have worked into a great tune.

I read this post and smiled because the other day I was listening to Pop and I thought to myself ( be gentle) Boots would have fit perfectly on this album.   I think even with the current lyrics, the only problem is in the 90 ' s  the song would have had more of a desperation feel to it and I think Bono would have sang it with more angst and less rock.  Anyway I was surprised I felt this way myself but didn't post this because of the backlash I would get.  An tha you are dead on.  Not sayin you think it would fit on Pop like I think but same line of thinking.   Bono singing Boots with a bit more depression or sorrow would work great I think.

Offline So Cruel

• Elevated
  • it ain't no sin to be glad that you're alive
« Reply #33 on: July 08, 2015, 04:28:07 PM »

Ok it isn't a very good song, but I believe it was a good idea just badly executed.....There is experimental intent in there and some pretty cool sounds, it's just u2 have become middle aged men who have lost their ear for edgy and it ended up being clunky like pretty much all their 'rockier' songs post Pop.

But at least with boots there is something different there, the let me in the sound part is pretty good, it's let down badly by the lyrics and the sound of the verses.

There is some quite dirty guitar work around the chorus and if you compare it to banal sh**e like elevation for example it's much better...it of course isn't as easy to get as elevation so a bit like Pop people rubbish it...

U2 have many worse songs in their post Pop cannon than boots, it did sort of kick ar*e live as well at times.

The verses sound needed fattening and roughing up a bit, the lyrics are bad in places but sonically I like it's intent and some of what it delivers.

It's a jarring song I suppose with an experimental heart and the bones of a pretty cool idea that 20 years ago I reckon they would have worked into a great tune.

The problem with Boots isn't the Edge, it's a cool riff and you're right, if they came up with it 20 years ago they probably would have made it a decent song.

The problem is Bono. Hearing a grown man sing "Get on your boots.....sexy boots" is cringe worthy. One of the absolute worst things he's ever written. Makes "a mole, living in a hole..." look like Shakespeare. He lifted the verses directly from Elvis Costello's Pump it Up and used the exact same formula (big riff, soft verses, rockn chorus with big riff) they had for Beautiful Day and Vertigo to try and make it a hit. They even tried the formula for the 4th straight time with the Miracle which is another dud.

SpookyElectric

« Reply #34 on: July 08, 2015, 04:40:55 PM »

The problem with Boots isn't the Edge, it's a cool riff and you're right, if they came up with it 20 years ago they probably would have made it a decent song.

The problem is Bono. Hearing a grown man sing "Get on your boots.....sexy boots" is cringe worthy. One of the absolute worst things he's ever written. Makes "a mole, living in a hole..." look like Shakespeare. He lifted the verses directly from Elvis Costello's Pump it Up and used the exact same formula (big riff, soft verses, rockn chorus with big riff) they had for Beautiful Day and Vertigo to try and make it a hit. They even tried the formula for the 4th straight time with the Miracle which is another dud.

I'm a grown man and I tell my g/f to keep her sexy boots on

Offline So Cruel

• Elevated
  • it ain't no sin to be glad that you're alive
« Reply #35 on: July 08, 2015, 05:03:57 PM »

Well, i'm usually telling my wife to get here clothes off, not on, but to each their own

SpookyElectric

« Reply #36 on: July 08, 2015, 05:11:44 PM »

Well, i'm usually telling my wife to get here clothes off, not on, but to each their own

oh yeah but I tell her to keep her boots on

Offline SlyDanner

• Precious Stone
  • A white dope on punk staring into the flash.
« Reply #37 on: July 08, 2015, 05:53:34 PM »

fair points on the 'get me in the sound' part... that bit actually is a defining moment from NLOTH the album and I like it.  I like the idea someone had of the snippet in Volcano too.

But I disagree on the experimental part.  First off, U2 does not do experimental on first singles (yeah I know The Fly was a departure but still)... the issue and they have admitted it was that they had some weird pop songs on an otherwise experimental album.  Boots was a complete train wreck on all fronts.  Sure maybe they could have worked on it more but really, these guys had how much time to tinker with that song?  Same goes for SUC for example, just a Frankenstein monster of a tune that was DOA. 

On another note - with respect to the hate for Stuck... people complain when they play these songs that the crowd loves, get into and sing along... feeding energy back to the band.  Then when they play crap like EBW acoustic, the place goes silent and then people here complain about lack of crowd energy.  Pick your poison people.  (an tha I am not accusing you of this, I am just too lazy to start a new reply)

SpookyElectric

« Reply #38 on: July 08, 2015, 05:56:16 PM »

fair points on the 'get me in the sound' part... that bit actually is a defining moment from NLOTH the album and I like it.  I like the idea someone had of the snippet in Volcano too.

But I disagree on the experimental part.  First off, U2 does not do experimental on first singles (yeah I know The Fly was a departure but still)...

and Discotheque and Numb.  that's quite a few departures even if you don't include Sexy Boots

« Last Edit: July 08, 2015, 05:58:58 PM by SpookyElectric »

Offline Droo

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • don't expect, suggest
« Reply #39 on: July 08, 2015, 05:56:34 PM »
First off, U2 does not do experimental on first singles

WookieeWarrior10

« Reply #40 on: July 08, 2015, 07:10:10 PM »

I can't believe that of all people you'd be the one to say this on the forum.

Offline THRILLHO

• Holy Joe
  • The sun won't melt our wings tonight
« Reply #41 on: July 08, 2015, 07:26:09 PM »
lol i agree with Wookie. sorry but i thought the same thing.

Offline SlyDanner

• Precious Stone
« Reply #42 on: July 08, 2015, 10:39:03 PM »

But I disagree on the experimental part.  First off, U2 does not do experimental on first singles (yeah I know The Fly was a departure but still)...

and Discotheque and Numb.  that's quite a few departures even if you don't include Sexy Boots

I agree on Numb, point taken and I stand corrected.

Discotheque - that was a song they thought would catch fire because that was the sonic environment at the time.  Experimental was Passengers.  Disco was something they thought would be huge.  In that context very much like Boots actually.  Simply poor execution musically and poor judgement commercially.

Maybe in 10 years there will be a small but very vocal group here telling us how cool Boots was too, just like Disco.  And still complaining about Stuck/BD/Elevation...

SpookyElectric

« Reply #43 on: July 08, 2015, 10:47:18 PM »

Discotheque - that was a song they thought would catch fire because that was the sonic environment at the time.  Disco was something they thought would be huge.

are you sure you're not related to jick?

Offline SlyDanner

• Precious Stone
« Reply #44 on: July 08, 2015, 11:16:35 PM »

Discotheque - that was a song they thought would catch fire because that was the sonic environment at the time.  Disco was something they thought would be huge.

are you sure you're not related to jick?

LOL let me check ancestry.com