Author Topic: *spoiler* Tribute to Women during Ultraviolet  (Read 10396 times)

WookieeWarrior10

Re: *spoiler* Tribute to Women during Ultraviolet
« Reply #60 on: May 28, 2017, 09:45:46 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
    Maybe there's no "taking sides" aspect to this song at all.  Bono just wanted to celebrate women, and as the artist who created the song he can do so however he may chose. No need to start a gender war over Bono celebrating something positive with his song.
    There's a lot of work that needs to be done before women are equal, not judged primarily by their looks, etc.  That being said, it is true that middle aged men and adolescent males in particular are suffering some real difficulties.  There is a huge increase in "deaths of despair" (suicides, drug overdoses, alcohol-related deaths) among white, middle-aged men.
   Let's cut each other a break and replace cynicism with understanding and an open mind.
Sounds good to me.

Offline ultravioletlight

• Numb
  • Chicago, IL
« Reply #61 on: June 04, 2017, 06:01:34 AM »
Went to Chicago 1 and Lena Dunham remains a part of a U2 show...

Offline Volcanogirl

• Elevated
  • The goal is Elevation !
« Reply #62 on: June 04, 2017, 06:46:03 AM »
I have worked for a company that indeed payed women less.
Good to see U2 are saying things can be different.
Most problems in the world don't change because it's
easy not do do so.

Offline U2Fan

• Headache in a Suitcase
  • Everything in the f****** hotel is brown.
« Reply #63 on: June 04, 2017, 09:27:09 AM »
Lol so much mansplaining going on in here.  Thank God all I needed was a man to tell me why it's just not hard to be a woman at all.

I suppose you are just not into hearing other perspectives.
and I suppose some here are actually pi**ed that U2 would choose to honor women.  Unbelievable really
It's the bizarre and unfitting pairing of this song and message that people are upset about.

It baffles me as to how the discussion even shifted to this in the first place...

Yes, UV is about God lighting your way. 

Offline trevgreg

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #64 on: June 04, 2017, 01:24:26 PM »
I still enjoyed the song a lot on this performance. Seeing Bono sing one of my favorite tunes by the band a few feet from me didn't exactly hurt that perspective either. Noticed Michelle Obama's face got a huge ovation from the Chicago crowd, unsurprisingly.

Offline MissRose

• Babyface
« Reply #65 on: June 05, 2017, 04:51:41 AM »
I liked that part of the show, it was a very nice tribute, and there are so many famous women that could have been chosen.  I am glad Bono started off talking about the women who aren't famous before going into the song live with the pictures of those chosen.

Offline 73October

• Staring at the Sun
  • Joy is an act of defiance
« Reply #66 on: June 05, 2017, 10:15:30 AM »
They should take out Lena Dunham and replace with the 'Dagenham Girls of 1968' who were sewing machinists at Ford's UK plants.  They went on strike over equal pay. 
It led to a change in the pay laws in the UK some 2 years later and an equal pay act was brought in (it's still not good enough but is a start.  It's not good enough as women still end up earning less by default because gender stereotypes mean that they end up working in lower paid roles than men such as professional carers (go to a care home in the UK and there are more women than men working there - the hours spend on the job can be erratic or irregular) or factory admin rather than factory production, which often pays more - probably because the skills are more specific and the health & safety risks are greater?).

Offline Johnny Feathers

• Elevated
« Reply #67 on: June 05, 2017, 10:26:07 AM »
Lol so much mansplaining going on in here.  Thank God all I needed was a man to tell me why it's just not hard to be a woman at all.

and I suppose some here are actually pi**ed that U2 would choose to honor women.  Unbelievable really
It's the bizarre and unfitting pairing of this song and message that people are upset about.

It baffles me as to how the discussion even shifted to this in the first place...

Far be it from me to wade into these waters, but while I appreciate that a lot of their songs can be interpreted as dealing with God, and mean something different to each of us, I've never thought of UV as one of those--at least not directly.  It very much evokes a troubled relationship with a woman, to me: lying together in "whispers and moans", the repeated "baby baby baby" sounds much more about a personal relationship than a spiritual one.

I love the song, but the current version did little for me.  I get that the original intent of the song, as I interpreted it, could work as a feminist anthem, but it always seemed much more despairing than uplifting.  360's version seemed better.

Offline lightmyway92

• Wanderer
  • On Borderland We Run
« Reply #68 on: June 05, 2017, 11:14:29 AM »

Far be it from me to wade into these waters, but while I appreciate that a lot of their songs can be interpreted as dealing with God, and mean something different to each of us, I've never thought of UV as one of those--at least not directly.  It very much evokes a troubled relationship with a woman, to me: lying together in "whispers and moans", the repeated "baby baby baby" sounds much more about a personal relationship than a spiritual one.

I love the song, but the current version did little for me.  I get that the original intent of the song, as I interpreted it, could work as a feminist anthem, but it always seemed much more despairing than uplifting.  360's version seemed better.
From a lyrical standpoint, "Ultraviolet" is pretty despairing, but Bono's vocal delivery and Edge's guitar (especially on the "Ultraviolet Light..." chorus) change it to an uplifting song to me.  That's one of the many brilliant aspects of Achtung Baby.  Many of the songs sound uplifting, even when the subject matter is anything but.  This is something Pop fails to do, in my opinion.  It's despairing all-around.  I know that was off topic, but that thought just occurred to me :)

Offline shineinthesummernight

• Child of Grace
« Reply #69 on: June 05, 2017, 03:40:32 PM »
I've never found "Mofo", "Discoteque" and "Do You Feel Loved" to be despairing.  They seem to me to be some of the most kick-a** songs in the catalog.

Offline riffraff

• Deep In the Heart
  • I know that this is not goodbye, my forum friends!
« Reply #70 on: June 05, 2017, 03:47:41 PM »
I've never found "Mofo", "Discoteque" and "Do You Feel Loved" to be despairing.  They seem to me to be some of the most kick-a** songs in the catalog.
oh, they ARE kick-a** songs, but the lyric ARE desperate. so very desperate! maybe I read too much into lyric...

Offline Johnny Feathers

• Elevated
« Reply #71 on: June 05, 2017, 04:12:16 PM »
oh, they ARE kick-a** songs, but the lyric ARE desperate. so very desperate! maybe I read too much into lyric...

No, I tend to agree with you. Discotheque is fairly upbeat, but after that it turns dark pretty quickly. Despite the overall theme of AB, there are a lot of upbeat moments: Zoo Station, EBTTRT, Mysterious Ways, TTTYAATW, etc. Even the Fly is pretty upbeat.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline il_capo

• Child of Grace
« Reply #72 on: June 05, 2017, 04:14:12 PM »

No, I tend to agree with you. Discotheque is fairly upbeat, but after that it turns dark pretty quickly. Despite the overall theme of AB, there are a lot of upbeat moments: Zoo Station, EBTTRT, Mysterious Ways, TTTYAATW, etc. Even the Fly is pretty upbeat.

I agree too.  Pop is the bleakest album.  The second most bleak is October, but on that faith and youthful catharsis pull them through to the upbeat "Is that all" finale.

Offline ZEROpartII

• Child of Grace
« Reply #73 on: June 05, 2017, 04:16:59 PM »
Replace Lena Dunham with Ed Harris (in his Rock . . . Gen. Hummel outfit)

Offline riffraff

• Deep In the Heart
  • I know that this is not goodbye, my forum friends!
« Reply #74 on: June 05, 2017, 04:24:58 PM »

I agree too.  Pop is the bleakest album.  The second most bleak is October, but on that faith and youthful catharsis pull them through to the upbeat "Is that all" finale.
Discotheque: "you take what you can get, because it's all that you can find"...so bleak! And, who in all honesty can say that they haven't felt this way at some point in their life? But, still,
that BOOM CHA turns me inside out!