Author Topic: Underwhelmed so far by U2 X-Radio on Sirius XM  (Read 755 times)

Offline JaraSangASongAWeapon

• Party Girl/Boy
  • And the moon turned red over One Tree Hill
Underwhelmed so far by U2 X-Radio on Sirius XM
« on: July 20, 2020, 12:25:00 PM »
I've listened on/off the past couple of weeks since its debut. I enjoyed the Edge talk show and Paul Oakenfold's "Discotheque" slot. I haven't really immersed myself and just kept it on all day across devices. But from the time I've spent with it, frankly I'm a little underwhelmed by it. Do we need Matthew McConaughey playing "New Year's Day" or do we really need to hear "One" or "Stuck In A Moment"? It seems like most of the playlists and overall content are aimed at casual fans or growing a new audience. Maybe they will add a "Deep Cuts Only" hour? I would be thrilled to hear "Indian Summer Sky" followed by "Luminous Times".

Offline GoldenStateGirl

• Stateless
  • As the moon spins around, I need your love
Re: Underwhelmed so far by U2 X-Radio on Sirius XM
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2020, 09:19:15 PM »
Being stuck at home, I've listened a lot.  It feels heavy on the hits (Beautiful Day, Pride, Sunday Bloody Sunday etc) and I also crave more deep tracks.

I love the Elevation show and Discotheque show. 

Offline superdragtn

• Babyface
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2020, 08:57:38 AM »
I've enjoyed the actual programming: Edge's talks, guest DJs, etc.  But I agree the in between material has been mostly better known things and it seems to repeat a lot of songs.  I'd love for it to get into some live shows, more b-sides, alternate versions, etc. 

One benefit for me is that its shaken up my U2 listening habits.  I typically will put an album on and just go with it.  Its nice to hear songs from different albums mixed together.

Offline singnomore

• Administrator
  • Airborne Ranger
  • These city lights, they shine as silver and gold
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2020, 10:02:33 PM »
Interesting to hear opinion as obviously us Europeans cant access it yet

Offline tufisbest

• Stateless
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2020, 09:24:06 AM »
I agree with all of the above.  I always check in when Im in the car but rarely do I keep it on this station because it seems like they are rotating through the same songs with Numb and Angel of Harlem in extremely heavy rotation.

Yesterday it played a clip of Adam discussing the sounds of NLOTH and they followed with of all songs...GOYB!  I guess Fez is unavailable.

Offline dwaltman

• Staring at the Sun
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2020, 07:37:54 PM »
I've enjoyed the Desire Show (fans pick 5) as much if not more than the celebrity playlists.  I enjoyed Bono and Chris Rock's discussion.  Edge interviews are interesting.  I also enjoy hearing U2's favorite music both past and present.  I've heard Numb way to many times considering how much I listen.  The deepest cuts I've heard have been Electric Co, Wire, Cedars of Lebanon, actually quite a few from POP.  When the shows started to recycle, I didn't listen as much, but will definitely tune in for specific programming and listen a bit.

Offline b-mata

• Babyface
  • I'm already gone, felt that way all along.
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2020, 09:21:07 AM »
It has definitely been a mixed bag.   Overall I enjoyed it, because it is nice to just tune in for some random U2 goodness!

I would love it if they did a few more dedicated shows so there were more listening 'touchstones' throughout the week.  Personally I would like a 'Sunday Night Live' type of thing where they played full concerts Sundays at 7pm.  Hopefully getting some rare live recordings that the band have but we haven't heard.  Possibly if they did something like 'U2: In Studio' where we could get some unreleased materials that are still stuck away somewhere and/or even hear about some thoughts and ideas they are working on.

Things like that.

Offline Crewboy

• Stateless
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2020, 11:37:55 AM »
I do listen to it for a few hours at work each morning.

I find myself drawn to the original programming more now.  I usually will just stream it in the On Demand section of the app.

I do enjoy the Desire segment, Guest DJ and the conversations Edge and Bono with either their guests.

As far as the actual music content, it seems certain songs are just constantly rotated with Numb being at the top of the list.

I would love for them to have a segment where they break down and analyze a song.