Author Topic: What is it with all these "snippets"?  (Read 3571 times)

Offline JoshuaTree94

• Deep In the Heart
  • You bury your treasure where it can't be found
Re: What is it with all these "snippets"?
« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2009, 04:25:02 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
if you snippet your own song inside one of your own songs you are being completely lame.  I have always loved Bono's snippets just not "40" inside Bad. 

I like "40" inside Bad. I prefer "40" to be played in full, but I enjoy it as a snippet.

Offline EdgeUK8_my_mind

• Desert Rose
  • I need you to elevate me here
« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2009, 05:02:40 PM »
I think it depends on the snippet and the context.

I thought Gloria worked well in Exit, and lots of things work well in Bad.

Last tour (and a few times since then) they did Rock the Casbah inside of SBS, and it REALLY didn't work for me - completely against the mood of the song, IMHO.

I think that if they are done right they can work really well, and Bono has been doing them forever.

Offline JoshuaTree94

• Deep In the Heart
  • You bury your treasure where it can't be found
« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2009, 06:23:26 PM »
I think it depends on the snippet and the context.

I thought Gloria worked well in Exit, and lots of things work well in Bad.

Last tour (and a few times since then) they did Rock the Casbah inside of SBS, and it REALLY didn't work for me - completely against the mood of the song, IMHO.

I think that if they are done right they can work really well, and Bono has been doing them forever.

Gloria in Exit is amazing. 8)

Offline donvalley360

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #18 on: August 18, 2009, 09:43:15 AM »
Maybe in Sheffield we'll get some Arctic Monkeys snippets,or even Def Leppard,Bono singing pour some sugar on me,now that would be funny!  ;D

Offline Schipper-ahoy

• Babyface
  • Tomorrow belongs to those who can hear it coming
« Reply #19 on: August 19, 2009, 06:30:00 PM »
[admin edit: show respect to fellow forum users]

It works kind of magical to me and many others... Perhaps you didn't listen to UTEOTW with break on through (doors) as a snippet, or vertigo - rock and roll (led zep)... I'd goosebums everywhere!
« Last Edit: August 19, 2009, 08:30:58 PM by m2 »

Offline m2

• Administrator
  • Desert Rose
  • I love the smell of fresh forum killspam.
« Reply #20 on: August 19, 2009, 08:35:58 PM »
Admin hat: Had to delete one post in here and edit another. Follow along with the forum guidelines, please.

U2 fan hat: The thing is, most of what's being listed as a snippet is incorrect. When Bono shouts "All You Need Is Love" one time during STREETS, it's not a snippet. When he sings one-and-a-half lines from "Miss Sarajevo" during MAGNIFICENT, it's not a snippet. To list those things as part of U2's setlist is misleading. It gives the impression that U2 actually performed at least part of those songs, when in reality it's just Bono shouting out a random couple words.

Offline Midnight is Where the Day Begins

• Genius of Compression
  • Oh it's time, it's time, it's IeTOUR time!!
« Reply #21 on: August 19, 2009, 08:37:09 PM »
Admin hat: Had to delete one post in here and edit another. Follow along with the forum guidelines, please.

U2 fan hat: The thing is, most of what's being listed as a snippet is incorrect. When Bono shouts "All You Need Is Love" one time during STREETS, it's not a snippet. When he sings one-and-a-half lines from "Miss Sarajevo" during MAGNIFICENT, it's not a snippet. To list those things as part of U2's setlist is misleading. It gives the impression that U2 actually performed at least part of those songs, when in reality it's just Bono shouting out a random couple words.

Oh... wait... so then what is actually considered a snippet? Something like Stand By Me?

Offline nolinehere

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #22 on: August 19, 2009, 08:39:15 PM »

Oh... wait... so then what is actually considered a snippet? Something like Stand By Me?

Snippet

1.    a small piece snipped off; a small bit, scrap, or fragment: an anthology of snippets.

Offline m2

• Administrator
  • Desert Rose
« Reply #23 on: August 19, 2009, 09:07:35 PM »

Snippet

1.    a small piece snipped off; a small bit, scrap, or fragment: an anthology of snippets.

Having been on forums for about 15 years now, there's really few things better at killing a discussion than someone busting out dictionary definitions, but whatever ... I'll play along.

Do you own the Best Buy CD that was released in 2001? It has three live songs from the Boston Elevation DVD, including "I Will Follow." Here are the lyrics to that version of that song:

Are you seriously going to suggest that Bono sang a snippet of "Amazing Grace" in this version?

Offline Midnight is Where the Day Begins

• Genius of Compression
  • Oh it's time, it's time, it's IeTOUR time!!
« Reply #24 on: August 19, 2009, 09:12:19 PM »

Snippet

Having been on forums for about 15 years now, there's really few things better at killing a discussion than someone busting out dictionary definitions, but whatever ... I'll play along.

Do you own the Best Buy CD that was released in 2001? It has three live songs from the Boston Elevation DVD, including "I Will Follow." Here are the lyrics to that version of that song:

Are you seriously going to suggest that Bono sang a snippet of "Amazing Grace" in this version?

Course not, as only one line was used. Not enough to me.

Offline aarond

• Party Girl/Boy
  • What no man can own, no man can take.
« Reply #25 on: August 19, 2009, 09:33:41 PM »
I like the Chicago DVD from Vertigo tour...Bono sings Stories for Boys inside of Vertigo. Truly blending the old and new...bring on the snippets!!

Offline nolinehere

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #26 on: August 19, 2009, 10:55:42 PM »

Snippet

All I did was provide a definition for the guy who needed it.

Another popular discussion killer since the Usenet days is the straw man argument.

All we need now is a Hitler-reference (I forget what it's called) and we'll have the trifecta.

Cheers

Offline Vervefloyd

• Refugee
« Reply #27 on: August 20, 2009, 12:00:30 PM »
I think what Bono mostly adds are lyrically snippets.  and i do agree it is very misleading in the set lists.  the all you need is love in streets is really not much of anything.  while stand by me can be considered an actual musical snippet.

Offline m2

• Administrator
  • Desert Rose
« Reply #28 on: August 21, 2009, 12:00:01 PM »
Yesterday during "Streets", Bono said the word "Gloria" once. That's now being listed as a snippet of "Gloria" on the web (not on U2tours.com, which I help run).

In that context, every time he said Willie's name is a snippet of some song with "Willie" in the lyrics. :)

Offline proctorsilex

• Babyface
« Reply #29 on: August 21, 2009, 12:56:28 PM »
bono's allways sang bits of other peoples songs during the show,  it's nothing new